Author Topic: Twilight Zone  (Read 10490 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Twilight Zone
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 12:18:08 PM »
Karsten, I just stumbled onto the thread and I noticed, that it's missing in your "Complete List of Series Marathon Reviews".

Pete, since I started watching the Twilight Zone episodes, I have been wanting to read your reviews but was too lazy to dig through your threads since I forgot you made a special thread for it. I have now re-read your reviews up to episode 24 where I am currently at :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »
This has been a very slow marathon review here. I only post to it once I finish a disc... but I only watch a few episodes here and there. Even though I have been loving the series!
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 01:14:45 PM »
Karsten, I just stumbled onto the thread and I noticed, that it's missing in your "Complete List of Series Marathon Reviews".
Thx. I added it.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 10:50:48 AM »
Believe it or not... After almost a year!  :bag: I am almost done the next disc... Only 2 more episodes to go... going to knock this one out this morning.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 12:21:19 PM »
Season 3: Disc 4
90. The Fugitive (3/9/62)
Old Ben is a fugitive from outer space with a heart of gold. He risks it all to help a crippled little girl - without fear that alien pursuers from his home planet will find them out!

My Thoughts:
This is one of the few episodes I have seen before. And it a good one... I enjoyed it very much. Attached to the end of this episode is a public service announcement asking your help to support the college of your choice. The only special feature added for this episode is an isolated score.

91. Little Girl Lost  (3/16/62)
A six-year-old girl who can be clearly heard, but not seen, has vanished into a fourth dimension and is trapped there while a hole between the two worlds rapidly closes...

My Thoughts:
This one on the other hand.... I never seen this episode. But it is an excellent episode! I enjoyed every second of it. This one will be ranked up probably in the top 10 favorites on what I seen so far. Attached to the end of this episode is a TV Spot for Gunsmoke. The only extra available for this episode is once again an isolated score.

92. Person or Persons Unknown  (3/23/62)
David Gurney (Richard Long) wakes up to find himself in a nightmare: no one - not even his wife or his mother - knows him, and all evidence of his identity has disappeared.

My Thoughts:
Going into this one I couldn't remember if I seen this one before or not. Turns out that this is one of the many that I have never seen. Though it is a very good episode. I enjoyed every minute of it. It is an interesting story. And I got to say... I really got a kick out  of  the ending.... sure I expected it... but it was the perfect ending to use on this story. Attached to the end of this episode is a public service announcement about not littering. The only extra available for this episode is once again an isolated score.

93. The Little People  (3/30/62)
Spaceship Commander Peter Craig (Joe Maross) declares himself a god when his ship lands on a planet populated by people smaller than ants. After he orders his co-pilot (Claude Akins) to leave, he learns the true nature of power.

My Thoughts:
Once again this is an episode I never seen.  It is a good episode... though not quite as good as the previous episode. But I must admit... I really liked the ending of this one... and for some strange reason I didn't see it coming. Attached to the end of this episode is a TV Spot for Gunsmoke. Extras added for this episode is a Marc Zicree interview with Buck Houghton and an isolated score.

94. Four O'Clock  (4/6/62)
Political fanatic Oliver Crangle (Theodore Bikel) has determined that at 4 p.m. he will eliminate all his enemies by shrinking them. But his plan proves to be a little shortsighted.

My Thoughts:
Going into this one I knew it was an episode I never seen before. This one I really didn't care much for. It was kinda boring really. And had an obvious ending. Attached to the end of this episode is a Public Service Announcement for the Red Cross. Extras added for this episode includes an isolated score and a Twilight Zone Radio Drama of this episode.

95. Hocus-Pocus and Frisby  (4/13/62)
Andy Devine is Frisby, a loud-mouthed braggart whose boasts attract the attention of aliens. Perhaps he should have read the story about the boy who cried wolf before embarking on his greatest adventure...

My Thoughts:
And yet another episode I never seen before. There is a familiar face in this episode. None other then "Floyd" form The Andy Griffith Show. Though he did have a small part. While better then the previous one... it is still not as good as most episodes. Attached to the end of this episode is a TV Spot for Gun Smoke. The only extra for this episode is an isolated score.

96. The Trade-Ins (4/20/62)
An elderly couple (Joseph Schildkraut & Alma Platt) visit the New Life Corporation, hoping to transplant their personalities into youthful artificial bodies. But they can only afford one.

My Thoughts:
What you know... one I actually have seen before. I was on a bit of a roll there for a while. But it is one I never cared too much for... never really cared for the storyline. Attached to the end of this episode is a public service announcement to get support for mental health programs. The only extra for this episode is an isolated score.

97. The Gift  (4/27/62)
An alien who crash-lands into a remote mountain village stirs up the villagers' fears and animosity, but he befriends a little boy and gives him a mysterious present.

My Thoughts:
And now we come back to one I never seen before. But unfortunately it is another one I really didn't care much for.I just found the story slow and boring. Though it is a story with a message. Attached to the end of this episode is TV Spot for Gunsmoke. The only extra listed with this episode is an isolated score.

My Thoughts On Season 3: Disc 4:
Over-all the episodes on this disc don't match up to the previous discs I have watched. I am still enjoying the series quite a bit... but I just hope this isn't the beginning of a downfall for the series. Most the episodes on this disc I never seen before... so that was a plus... even if they weren't the best episodes made. Over-all the extras on this disc was a little lacking as well.

Episodes I seen for the First time on this set include:

1. Judgment Night (Episode 10)
   2. And When The Sky Was Opened (Episode 11)
   3. What You Need (Episode 12)
   4. I Shot an Arrow into the Air (Episode 15)
   5. The Hitch-Hiker (Episode 16)
   6. The Purple Testiment (Episode 19)
   7. Elegy (Episode 20)
   8. Mirror Image (Episode 21)
   9. A World of Difference (Episode 23)
  10. Long Live Walter Jameson (Episode 24)
  11. People Are Alike All Over (Episode 25)
  12. Execution (Episode 26)
  13. The Big Tall Wish (Episode 27)
  14. A Nice Place to Visit (Episode 28)
  15. Nightmare as a Child (Episode 29)
  16. The Chaser (Episode 31)
  17. Mr. Bevis (Episode 33)
  18. The Mighty Casey (Episode 35)
  19. A World of his Own (Episode 36)
  20. The Man in the Bottle (Episode 38)
  21. A Thing About Machines (Episode 40)
  22. The Howling Man (Episode 41)
  23. A Most Unusual Camera (Episode 46)
  24. Dust (Episode 48)
  25. Back There (Episode 49)
  26. The Whole Truth (Episode 50)
  27. Twenty-Two (Episode 53)
  28. The Odyssey of Flight 33 (Episode 54)
  29. Static (Episode 56)
  30. The Rip Van Winkle Caper (Episode 60)
  31. The Silence (Episode 61)
  32. Shadow Play (Episode 62)
  33. The Mind and the Matter (Episode 63)
  34. Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up (Episode 64)
  35. The Arrival (Episode 67)
  36. The Mirror (Episode 71)
  37. Still Valley (Episode 76)
  38. The Jungle (Episode 77)
  39. A Quality of Mercy (Episode 80)
  40. Dead Man's Shoes (Episode 83)
  41. The Hunt (Episode 84)
  42. A Piano in the House (Episode 87)
  43. Little Girl Lost (Episode 91)
  44. Person or Persons Unknown (Episode 92)
  45. The Little People (Episode 93)
  46. Four O'Clock (Episode 94)
  47. Hocus-Pocus and Frisby (Episode 95)
  48. The Gift (Episode 97)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 12:46:24 AM »
Season 3: Disc 5
98. The Dummy (5/4/62)
A ventriloquist (Cliff Robertson) is convinced that his dummy, Willie, is alive and evil. He makes plans for a new act with a new dummy. Plans that Willie does not support!

My Thoughts:
This is another one of the many episodes I never seen before. And I liked this one a lot. Sure... I seen many of "living dummy" shows... but this one came before all of those. And it was well done. Attached to the end of this episode is a public service announcement with Smokey the Bear about preventing forest fires. The extras included for this episode is an audio commentary with Cliff Robertson, an isolated score and The Twilight Zone Radio Drama with Bruno Kirby.

99. Young Man's Fancy  (5/11/62)
When a newlywed couple briefly return to the groom's childhood home, the ties of the past prove too strong to resist.

My Thoughts:
And once again... one I never seen before. Unfortunately this one didn't impress me all that much. It is an ok story... but just not that interesting. Attached to the end of this episodes is a TV Spot for the series Gunsmoke. The only extra for this episode is an isolated score.

100. I Sing the Body Electric   (5/18/62)
Anne (Veronica Cartwright) must learn to understand and accept that her new grandmother can be tender, loving, thoughtful and caring. Even if she is a robot.

My Thoughts:
Wow.... towards the end of season 3.... and we are already at 100 episodes! Now a day you usually don't get to the 100th episode till the fifth season! This is one I have seen (and enjoyed) before.We see a familiar face in this one with David White... who played Larry Tate on Bewitched. It is more of a lighthearted, sweet story... but a good one. Attached to the end of this episode is a public service announcement asking for help for the colleges. Extras attached to this episode includes a Marc Zicree interview with Buck Houghton and an isolated score.

101. Cavender Is Coming   (5/25/62)
Carol Burnett stars as Agnes Grep in this tale of a klutzy usherette "rescued" from poverty by a guardian angel. This charming episode was considered as a pilot for a new TV show.

My Thoughts:
This is another one I never seen before. It is a fun episode... played more for comedy... but that is to be expected of an episode that stars Carol Burnett.  Attached to the end of this episode is. a TV Spot for Gunsmoke. The only extra with this episode is a clip from "The Gary Moore Show" where Rod Serling does a spoof on his Twilight Zone intros and a short skit of a story also with Carrol Burnett.

102. The Changing of the Guard   (6/1/62)
Donald Pleasance is Professor Ellis Fowler, forced to retire after 51 years of teaching. Feeling his life has been worthless, Fowler is startled by the ghostly appearance of former students.

My Thoughts:
And once again... one I never seen before. While not what I would call a Christmas episode... it is Christmas time that the story takes place. Not the best episode I ever seen... but a good one. I would have never recognized Donald Pleasance  if it was there in the overview.attached to this episode is an add for a Promise of America booklet. The only extra for this episode is an isolated score.

My Thoughts On Season 3: Disc 5:
Over-all a good disc. I enjoyed most all the episodes this time. I can't believe I am finally at the end of the 3rd season. On this disc along with the few extras with each episode... we get a selection of extras that is devoted to the season itself.

Other Season 3 Extras:
- The Famous Writers' School Promo
- Sci-Fi Channel Twilight Zone Marathon Promo Spots
- Rod Serling Night Gallery Promo Spots
- Season 3 Billboards
- Season 3 Photo Gallery
- The Twilight Zone Comic Book (in .pdf format)

7. Elegy (Episode 20)
  24. Dust (Episode 48)
  29. Static (Episode 56)
  49. The Dummy (Episode 98)
  50. Young Man's Fancy (Episode 99)
  51. Cavender Is Coming (Episode 101)
  52. The Changing of the Guard (Episode 102)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 01:10:39 AM »
Looking ahead... I don't think I seen any of the season 4 episodes... there isn't as many episodes... and they went to an hour long format instead of half hour. I don't think I ever seen an hour long Twilight Zone!

And the odd thing is... they seemed to go back to the half hour episodes format for Season 5!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 01:58:11 PM »
Over a year has past since I worked on this marathon thread. And I finally once again ready to watch more episodes. I have now started season 4. This is the season they went to hour long episodes. I have heard from a few people that these hour long episodes were the least liked episodes. I am now watching Season 4 episode 2... and so far I am enjoying the series just as much as the previous seasons.

Anyway... wanted to bump this thread back up... will be posting the next disc worth of reviews a little later this morning.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 03:28:20 PM »
Season 4: Disc 1

103. In His Image  (1/3/63)
Alan Talbot doesn't understand why his hometown seems so unfamiliar, why he is driven to kill and what are those noises in his head! He's about to get some answers when he comes face to face with his double.

My Thoughts:
This is the start of the start of the hour long episodes. I never remembered seeing any hour long episodes of The Twilight Zone before. After seeing the opening credits alone I know I haven't... as I never seen these opening credits before. I have heard more then once that the fourth season episodes... the hour long episodes were the worst of the series. Maybe it is because I went in with low expectations because of this... but I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I found the story interesting and entertaining both. I also liked how they had a preview of the next episode at the end. I hope they did this with all the episodes from this point on. But the did drop the TV Spots for stuff such as Gun Smoke and Public Service Announcements. But that is ok... I think that is more then a fair trade off! The extras included for this episode include a Marc Zicree interview with Herbert Hirschman and an Isolated Score.

104. The Thirty-Fathom Grave   (1/10/63)
A mysterious clanging sound is heard within a submerged submarine - 20 years after it was sunk by the Japanese during World War II. A sheared periscope? Or ghosts of the drowned crewmen? Chief Bell (Mike Kellin) reveals a guilty secret that has tormented him ever since that horrible event.

My Thoughts:
This is an excellent episode. It will be in there with my top favorites. I loved the story that was told. This one had one cast member I am familiar with. A rather young Bill Bixby (The Incredible Hulk). I am a bit embarrassed to say that I didn't even recognize him at first. He must have popped up in the episode two or three times before I realized who it was. The only extra attached to this episode is an episode of the Twilight Zone Radio drama version of this episode... this one starring Blair Underwood.

105. Valley of the Shadow  (1/17/63)
Philip Redfield (Ed Nelson) finds himself trapped in a small town where people can reverse time and do many other amazing things. He is determined to escape and share the town's secrets with the outside world.

My Thoughts:
OK... this one I didn't care for as much as I did the previous episodes. Don't get me wrong... it isn't a bad episode. I guess I just expect a bit more from this series then what I saw here. The only extra attached to this episode is an interview with Morgan Brittany (aka Suzanne Cupito) who played the little girl with the cat in this episde. She did three episodes of the Twilight Zone in her career.

My Thoughts On Season 4: Disc 1:
As I have said before... This is the start of the hour long episodes. I have heard that these episodes are not as good as the half hour episodes. So far I feel they are just as good. Though the last episode on this disc did lack some. There could have been more... and better extras on this disc as well. They were a bit lacking on this disc as well. It is safe to say that The Thirty-Fathom Grave is my favorite episode on this disc.

7. Elegy (Episode 20)
  24. Dust (Episode 48)
  29. Static (Episode 56)
  53. In His Image (Episode 103)
  54. The Thirty-Fathom Grave (Episode 104)
  55. Valley of the Shadow (Episode 105)
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 04:34:05 PM »
When you review these episodes, you should mention who wrote the episode. Generally, you can understand why an episode was great or didn't work just by who wrote it. By the fourth season, Rod Serling was getting burnt out by the massive load of producing and writing the show, and his stories became either weak or were repetitive of themes he used in the first couple of seasons. George Clayton Thomas and Richard Matheson tended to write the best and most eerie episodes of the series. If you see Earl Hamner Jr. (The Waltons) as writer you can pretty much expect a lame episode.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »
Made me look back at the profile. My favorite episode on that disc was The Thirty-Fathom Grave. And it was written by Rod Serling. So he still had it (for me at least) by the beginning of the 4th season.

The others on the above disc were...

In His Image (2nd favorite) - Charles Beaumont
Valley of Shadows (Least favorite) - Charles Beaumont
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:25:30 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 06:17:38 PM »
I couldn't remember the fourth writer, but it was Beaumont. He tended to be a 50/50 shot when it came to good episodes.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 06:36:58 PM »
I just watched one written by Rod Serling that I didn't care too much for. But I think that is mainly due to my not caring for the subject matter anyway.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 12:16:42 AM »
Season 4: Disc 2

106. He's Alive   (1/24/63)
Writer: Rod Serling
Peter Vollmer (Dennis Hopper), a small-time neo-Nazi leader, yearns for more power. Advised by a shadowy benefactor, Vollmer's followers grow, as does his ego.

My Thoughts:
This one didn't impress me too much. But I am not surprised as I don't normally like the Nazi/Neo-Nazi stories. Not to mention the fact that I found it to be pretty predictable. The only extras attached to this episode is an Isolated Score and a Blooper by Rod Serling. No real interest in the Isolated Score... but it was kinda fun to see Rod Serling flub his line.

107. Mute    (1/31/63)
Writer: Richard Matheson
A 12-year-old girl (Ann Jillian) who loses her parents in a fire doesn't speak because she has grown up in a telepathic community. The couple (Frank Overton, Barbara Baxley) who takes her in and her teacher (Irene Daily) are determined to help her adapt to their society, no matter the cost.

My Thoughts:
This one was pretty good. Not a favorite mind you. I am starting to find that some of these hour long episodes are a bit on the slow side. If this is to continue I would have to agree with what I have heard others say... that season 4 would have to be my least favorite season. Though it is too early to say at this point. The only extra attached to this episode is the Isolated Score.

108. Death Ship  (2/7/63)
Writer: Richard Matheson
Three astronauts discover a wrecked duplicate of their spaceship and their own dead bodies! Determined to prove that they are alive, Captain Ross (Jack Klugman) launches their spaceship again... and again.

My Thoughts:
This one I found much more interesting. Why is it every time I see Jack Klugman in something I see his character Oscar from The Odd Couple? I guess I watched that show a little too much when I was a kid. While this is definitely my favorite episode on this disc I still found that the hour long format became a little tedious at times. The extras attached to this episode includes and Audio Commentary by Marc Scott Zicree, a Marc Zicree Interview with Ross Martin and an Isolated Score.

My Thoughts On Season 4: Disc 2:
Overall I enjoyed what I saw on this... though I do feel that going by these early episodes of the season (I am a third of the way through the season though!) that the episodes haven't been as good as the previous seasons. At least there is a little more extras on this disc then there was on the last one.

7. Elegy (Episode 20)
  24. Dust (Episode 48)
  29. Static (Episode 56)
  53. In His Image (Episode 103)
  54. The Thirty-Fathom Grave (Episode 104)
  55. Valley of the Shadow (Episode 105)
  56. He's Alive (Episode 106)
  57. Mute (Episode 107)
  58. Death Ship (Episode 108)
Pete