Poll

Which films do you feel are the best films directed by...

Shallow Grave
2 (6.9%)
Trainspotting
6 (20.7%)
A Life Less Ordinary
2 (6.9%)
Alien Love Triangle
0 (0%)
The Beach
2 (6.9%)
28 Days Later...
7 (24.1%)
Millions
1 (3.4%)
Sunshine
1 (3.4%)
Slumdog Millionaire
6 (20.7%)
127 Hours
2 (6.9%)
Haven't seen any
0 (0%)
Don't like any of them
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Directors Best Poll #4 - Danny Boyle  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Directors Best Poll #4 - Danny Boyle
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:48:25 PM »
Trainspotting

Slumdog Millionaire

Millions

Mustrum_Ridcully

Re: Directors Best Poll #4 - Danny Boyle
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »
Trainspotting
Shallow Grave

A Life Less Ordinary

m.cellophane

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:06:16 PM »
127 Hours
Slumdog Millionaire
Trainspotting

A Life Less Ordinary
Shallow Grave

Haven't seen:
Alien Love Triangle
The Beach
28 Days Later...
Millions
Sunshine

MEJHarrison

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:33:20 PM »
I absolutely LOVE Sunshine.  We just finished watching it here at work last week in fact.

Sunshine

The Beach

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:02:38 AM »
I still haven't seen Sunshine, but I want to. I've got Millions somewhere too. Must give that a spin. I recently rewatched Shallow Grave and it is just as fantastic as when I last saw it. I'm planning to review it properly for my British film thread, but you can't undervalue how important it is. It gave our film industry a much needed kick in the bollocks. I still remember Empire's rather stunned "where did this come from?" review only for them to be even more impressed by Trainspotting, which didn't seem possible as the time.

I was never fond of his digital choice for 28 Days Later, but it's a very good horror. Just remember, they are not bloody zombies though! :laugh: Slumdog, I loved, and 127 Hours is great too. They don't bear much comparison, but it is so much better than the over-hyped Buried.

I'd say Trainspotting is still his best, but Shallow Grave might just outlive it.

hal9g

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:14:40 AM »
Well, since I've only seen 2 of these, I won't vote.  Slumdog and 28 Days Later were both good, but Ii don't know how they compare to the others.

Trainspotting seems to be unanimous, so it goes on the wish list.  Probably add 127 Hours and Shallow Grave while I'm at it.

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 12:28:10 AM »
Well, since I've only seen 2 of these, I won't vote.  Slumdog and 28 Days Later were both good, but Ii don't know how they compare to the others.

Trainspotting seems to be unanimous, so it goes on the wish list.  Probably add 127 Hours and Shallow Grave while I'm at it.

I'd go for Shallow Grave first because it's very much a genre story, a straightforward thriller. Trainspotting is something else and pretty intense. I absolutely recommend both, just that the style of his first film sets you up for his second...

m.cellophane

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 12:35:37 AM »
As we get further into this, I'm wondering if I need to put my ratings side by side by director and make some adjustments.  :-\

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 12:35:46 AM »
I absolutely LOVE Sunshine.  We just finished watching it here at work last week in fact.
Where do I have to send my application to?

m.cellophane

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 12:44:10 AM »
Indeed.  :laugh:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 03:55:12 AM »
... and 127 Hours is great too. They don't bear much comparison, but it is so much better than the over-hyped Buried.

I haven't seen Buried, but from what I've read, it actually stays true to its premise whereas 127 Hours is a bit of a cop-out and never actually has the patience to stay with its character in that place. Don't get me wrong, I liked 127 Hours well enough, but that argument made sense to me.
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 04:50:33 AM »
Trainspotting
28 Days Later...
Shallow Grave

Slumdog Millionaire
Sunshine

The Beach

A Life Less Ordinary

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »
28 Days Later

The Beach

Again, I have to play catch-up as I've still yet to watch A Life Less Ordinary, Slumdog Millionaire, Sunshine, Millions, 127 Hours & Trainspotting. I thought I had Shallow Grave but apparently I don't so it's now on my 'to buy' list.  Loved 28 Days Later!  :thumbup:

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 06:48:48 PM »
... and 127 Hours is great too. They don't bear much comparison, but it is so much better than the over-hyped Buried.

I haven't seen Buried, but from what I've read, it actually stays true to its premise whereas 127 Hours is a bit of a cop-out and never actually has the patience to stay with its character in that place. Don't get me wrong, I liked 127 Hours well enough, but that argument made sense to me.

I know what you mean, but it stays in the crevice for long enough and the other scenes are important to show who he is, who he thinks he is and who he might become. They all add to the reasons why it's such a horrendous decision. Buried, is just a bit boring and sinks badly in the end, so I asked myself, why am I supposed to care what happens to him? It isn't at all scary. Tarantino's guest director gig on CSI was far more thrilling precisely because he didn't stay in the coffin, but involved the other well established characters in the show. Bones did a similar story too that was better than Buried, which kind of proves the problem Hitchcock had. The more experimental it is, the more likely the story is going to become contrived. I really like Rope, but he dismissed it himself for those sorts of reasons and Buried utterly fails to recognise its own limits and introduces silly twists involving people we don't know.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »
Indeed.  :laugh:

Yeah.  Tuesdays and Thursdays are TV day.  We're currently watching The X-Files.  But we've also watched Lost, Supernatural, Babylon 5, Firefly, Smallville and a bunch of others.  Friday's started as Lame Movie Friday.  Where we watched a lame movie and all laughed at how bad it was.  Which got old very quickly and morphed into just watching good movies.

As for where to send your application, I have to first warn you it's a health insurance company!  And if that's not enough to scare you away, we're Catholic and non-profit (which means only managers and up get bonuses  :( ).  Trust me.  The fringe benefits like the movie thing is about as good as it gets around here! Oh, and free health insurance. :laugh: