Author Topic: Tom's TV Pilots marathon  (Read 171151 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's TV Pilots marathon
« Reply #285 on: June 24, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »
     Psych: Season One (2006/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:681 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English

Plot:
Fake psychic Shawn Spencer (James Roday) and his skeptical best friend Gus (Dulé Hill) are on the case in the fresh and quirky runaway hit 'Psych'! Relieve every quick-witted remark and hilarious misadventure in all 15 Season One episodes, including both the domestic and international versions of the series pilot! Thanks to a childhood spent with a family of cops, Shawn possesses an incredible photographic memory and notices seemingly insignificant details. These traits allow him to spend his jobless days providing the police with mystery-solving tips--but his knowledge soon makes him a suspect. In order to clear his name, the unlikely sleuth declares that he has clairvoyant abilities and launches his own investigative agency, Psych. Exclusive bonus features in this must-own 4-disc set include a behind-the-scenes featurette, insightful character profiles and deleted scenes. Return to the scene of the crime with 'Psych', the phenomenon that the 'New York Post' awards **** and declares "JUST TERRIFIC."

Psych
1.01 Pilot (2006-07-07)
Writer: Steve Franks (Writer)
Director: Michael Engler
Cast: James Roday (Shawn Spencer), Dulé Hill (Burton Guster), Timothy Omundson (Carlton Lassiter), Anne Dudek (Lucinda), Corbin Bernsen (Henry Spencer), Kirsten Nelson (Karen Vick), Don S. Davis (Mr. McCallum), Pascale Hutton (Katarina McCallum), Josh Hayden), Ingrid Tesch (Waitress), P. Lynn Johnson (Mrs. McCallum), Jason Bryden (Camden McCallum), Robert Parent (Malcolm Orso), Jocelyne Loewen (Lobster Shack Blonde), Michael Roberds (Manager), Dagmar Midcap (Reporter), Patricia Idlette (Desk Sergeant), Mark Acheson (Suspect), Sage Brocklebank (McNab), Rob Bruner (Police Artist), Anthony Harrison (Patrolman), Dylan Rhymer (Billy Camp), Artine Brown (Officer), Matthew Finlason (Bill), Christopher Heyerdahl (Long Hair), Ian Robison (Bodyguard), Chelan Simmons)

This is a series I enjoyed since the beginning. I love the interaction between Shawn and Gus. Also the flirting between Shawn and Jules is fun to watch. Though she isn't part of the pilot. She replaced another (similar) character after the pilot. I like Jules a lot better than the character here.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 24, 2012, 07:33:49 PM »
     Pushing Daisies: Season One (2007/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United States)
Length:410 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Spanish, Thai

Plot:
Every not-so-often, along comes a show that's different. Wonderfully different. Pushing Daisies, TV Guide's Matt Roush writes, "restores my faith in TV's ability to amuse, enchant and entertain." It's the story of Ned, a lonely pie maker whose touch can reanimate the dead. Cool, but there's a hitch. If Ned touches the person again, the miracle is reversed. If he doesn't, a bystander goes toes up. What to do? Easy: Team with a private eye, bring murder victims back just long enough to discover whodunit, and collect the rewards. Things go well until Ned's boyhood sweetie is the next dear departed, and he can't resist bringing her back for keeps! Dig the wit, style and quirky romance: If you're not laughing, you may need a visit from Ned.

Pushing Daisies
1.01 Pie-Lette (2007-10-03)
Writer: Bryan Fuller (Created By), Bryan Fuller (Writer)
Director: Barry Sonnenfeld
Cast: Lee Pace (Ned), Anna Friel (Chuck), Chi McBride (Emerson Cod), Jim Dale (Narrator (voice)), Ellen Greene (Vivian Charles), Swoosie Kurtz (Lily Charles), Kristin Chenoweth (Olive Snook), Patrick Breen (Leo Gaswint), Terry Anzur (Newscaster 3), Ed Brigadier (Minister 1), Field Cate (Young Ned), Ted Garcia (Newscaster 1), Murray Gershenz (Rabbi), Tina Gloss (Ned's Mother), Brad Grunberg (Funeral Director), Sammi Hanratty (Young Chuck), Geraud Moncure (Newscaster 4), Leyna Nguyen (Newscaster 2), Sy Richardson (Coroner), Greg Suddeth (Gravedigger 1), David Trice (Martin Miltenberger), Julie Wittner (Deedee Duffield), Jeff Wolfe (Shiny Shoes Killer)

A short-lived series I enjoyed very much. But I must admit I am glad that it only had two short seasons. The premise is nice, but nothing which holds up multiple seasons.
The pilot episode is a perfect introduction to this series.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 24, 2012, 07:35:29 PM »
This covers my Ps.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 24, 2012, 07:51:21 PM »
     Pushing Daisies: Season One (2007/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Length:410 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Spanish, Thai

Plot:
Every not-so-often, along comes a show that's different. Wonderfully different. Pushing Daisies, TV Guide's Matt Roush writes, "restores my faith in TV's ability to amuse, enchant and entertain." It's the story of Ned, a lonely pie maker whose touch can reanimate the dead. Cool, but there's a hitch. If Ned touches the person again, the miracle is reversed. If he doesn't, a bystander goes toes up. What to do? Easy: Team with a private eye, bring murder victims back just long enough to discover whodunit, and collect the rewards. Things go well until Ned's boyhood sweetie is the next dear departed, and he can't resist bringing her back for keeps! Dig the wit, style and quirky romance: If you're not laughing, you may need a visit from Ned.

Pushing Daisies
1.01 Pie-Lette (2007-10-03)
Writer: Bryan Fuller (Created By), Bryan Fuller (Writer)
Director: Barry Sonnenfeld
Cast: Lee Pace (Ned), Anna Friel (Chuck), Chi McBride (Emerson Cod), Jim Dale (Narrator (voice)), Ellen Greene (Vivian Charles), Swoosie Kurtz (Lily Charles), Kristin Chenoweth (Olive Snook), Patrick Breen (Leo Gaswint), Terry Anzur (Newscaster 3), Ed Brigadier (Minister 1), Field Cate (Young Ned), Ted Garcia (Newscaster 1), Murray Gershenz (Rabbi), Tina Gloss (Ned's Mother), Brad Grunberg (Funeral Director), Sammi Hanratty (Young Chuck), Geraud Moncure (Newscaster 4), Leyna Nguyen (Newscaster 2), Sy Richardson (Coroner), Greg Suddeth (Gravedigger 1), David Trice (Martin Miltenberger), Julie Wittner (Deedee Duffield), Jeff Wolfe (Shiny Shoes Killer)

A short-lived series I enjoyed very much. But I must admit I am glad that it only had two short seasons. The premise is nice, but nothing which holds up multiple seasons.
The pilot episode is a perfect introduction to this series.

Rating:

Once again you have picked one of my favorites.  This show was too quirky for TV which is why it didn't last.  The writing and characters are brilliant.  Thanks .. this was a great hit

Dsig
Thank you
David

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 24, 2012, 09:53:20 PM »
     Quantum Leap: Season One (1989/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:428 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Plot:
Get ready to join Dr. Sam Beckett on the adventure of many lifetimes! Who will he be this time? Mafia hitman. Air Force test pilot. Professional boxer. Sam does it all in Season One of the groundbreaking, 5-time Emmy® award-winning series.

Scott Bakula plays Sam Beckett, a time traveler who never knows whose body he is going to "leap" into next and at what moment in history he may find himself. Sam is joined by a helpful but easily distracted holographic guide, Al (Dean Stockwell), who assists him on his missions and aids Sam in his ultimate goal of returning to his own life in the present.

Quantum Leap
1.01 Genesis
Writer: Donald P. Bellisario (Original Characters By), Donald P. Bellisario (Writer)
Director: David Hemmings
Cast: Scott Bakula (Sam Beckett), Dean Stockwell (Al), Jennifer Runyon (Peggy Stratton), John Allen Nelson (Captain "Bird Dog" Birdell), W. K. Stratton (Dr. Berger), Newell Alexander (John Beckett), Lee DeBroux (Coach), Larry Poindexter (Captain Tony LaMotta), Bruce McGill (Weird Ernie), Barbra Horan (Tina), David Trent (Captain Doug Walker), James F. Dean (Dr. Blaustein), Lela Ivey (Lucy), Dennis Wolfberg (Gooshie), Lydia Cornell (Sally), Christine Poor (Jeanie), Doug Cox (Sportscaster), Christian Van Dorn (Mikey Stratton), Hank Robinson (Umpire), Patrick Cranshaw (Old Man), Brent Chalem (Bat Boy), Adam Affonso (Young Sam), Mike Greenwood (Matt), Dave Duensing (Clyde), David Dawson (Barnes), Kevin Johnson (Pepper), Ken Martin (Tim Fox), Layne Beamer (Tom Stratton)

As you know I am a big fan of time-travel storylines. So it is no wonder that I enjoy this series. The pilot episode is good and introduces the premise well.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 24, 2012, 09:53:46 PM »
This covers my Qs.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 24, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »
     Ramen Fighter Miki (2006/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Anime Works (United States)
Length:300 min.
Audio:Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
In a world where terror grips the land and innocents have no solace from violence and brutality, one girl walks the line between life and death to bring her own special brand of... Ramen.

Miki Onimaru works at her parent's ramen shop, making deliveries, waiting tables, and attracting customers with cute, girlish charm. Somehow, Miki can't complete even one of these simple tasks without the full employment of her extensive bone-crushing, skull-splitting martial arts moves and penchant for unleashing relentless destruction. Can Miki get through the day without messing up and angering her Mom, who makes her look like a gentle kitten in comparison?

Ramen Fighter Miki
1.01 The Invincible Poster Girl/ The Other Poster Girl
Writer: Jun Sadogawa (Original Material By), Toko Machida (Writer), Toko Machida (Screenwriter)
Director: Nobuo Tomizawa
Cast: Hitomi Nabatame (Miki Onimaru (voice)), Ami Koshimizu (Megumi Kannazuki (voice)), Yuichi Nakamura (Akihiko Ohta (voice)), Sayuri Sadaoka (Makiko Onimaru (voice)), Kiyotaka Furushima (Fugetsu (voice)), Yudai Sato (Junior High School Student (voice)), Hiroshi Iida (Customer (voice)), Saori Seto (Child A (voice)), Kei Kobayashi (Child B (voice)), Fumie Mizusawa (Teacher (voice)), Ayumi Fujimura (Child 1 (voice)), Megumi Yamato (Child 3 (voice))

Rather over the top comedy about a fighting girl working in a Ramen shop who has a rivalry with another girl working in a neighboring shop.
The first episode is not that good but I remember enjoying later episodes.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 24, 2012, 11:57:38 PM »
     Ranma ½: Season One (1989/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

VIZ Media (United States)
Length:450 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Plot:
It's not easy being teenaged martial artist Ranma Saotome, but it's even worse when your martial-artist father Genma takes you from home at an early age to go on a decade-long training mission. He doesn't speak a word of Chinese, and yet he insists upon bringing you to the cursed training ground known as Jusenkyo, where falling into one of the many springs there turns you into whoever - or whatever - drowned there last. And then, the two of you have this little accident.

From now on, a splash of cold water will turn your father into a giant panda, while you, well, you turn into a re-haired (and problematically well-built) female version of yourself. Hoy water will reverse the effect, but only until the next time. What's a half-guy, half-girl to do?

Ranma ½
1.01 Here's Ranma
Writer: Rumiko Takahashi (Original Material By), Yoshio Urasawa (Screenwriter)
Director: Tsutomu Shibayama
Cast: English Voice Cast), Sarah Strange (Ranma Saotome (boy-type) (voice)), Brigetta Dau (Ranma Saotome (girl-type) (voice)), David Kaye (Soun Tendo (voice)), Robert O. Smith (Genma Saotome (voice)), Ian James Corlett (Dr. Tofu Ono/Jusenkyo Guide (voice)), Ted Cole (Tatewaki Kuno (voice)), Miriam Sirois (Akane Tendo (voice)), Willow Johnson (Kasumi Tendo (voice)), Angela Costain (Nabiki Tendo (voice)), Japanese Voice Cast), Kappei Yamaguchi (Ranma Saotome (boy-type) (voice)), Megumi Hayashibara (Ranma Saotome (girl-type) (voice)), Noriko Hidaka (Akane Tendo (voice)), Minami Takayama (Nabiki Tendo (voice)), Kikuko Inoue (Kasumi Tendo (voice)), Kenichi Ogata (Genma Saotome (voice)), Ryunosuke Obayashi (Soun Tendo (voice)), Hirotaka Suzuoki (Tatewaki Kuno (voice)), Yuji Mitsuya (Dr. Tofu Ono (voice)), Koichi Yamadera (Jusenkyo Guide (voice))

This is a good first episode. So far I only have seen the first season of this series, even though I also own the second one. It is a fun series, but I never had the urge to continue. I own and have read the complete manga though (all 38 volumes). I had bought them cheap on eBay a few years ago. I had enjoyed reading it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2012, 09:32:52 PM »
     Raumpatrouille: Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion (1966/Germany)
IMDb | Wikipedia

EuroVideo (Germany)
Length:417 min.
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles:

Plot:
DIE PHANTASTISCHEN ABENTEUER DES RAUMSCHIFFS ORION

Wir schreiben das Jahr 3000 ... Eine Weltraumflotte schützt die Menschheit und ihre Kolonien im All vor interstellaren Invasoren. Der Sternenkrieger Commander Cliff Allister McLane wird wegen seiner Eskapaden im All zur Raumpatrouille versetzt. Mit von der Partie ist Sicherheitsoffizier Tamara Jagellovsk, die als Aufpasserin zu den verrückten Fünf abkommandiert wurde. Doch so langweilig, wie sie sich den Dienst vorgestellt haben, wird dieser allerdings nicht: Im Kampf gegen die Außerirdischen erleben sie die gefährlichsten Abenteuer, und dann hilft nur noch Plan DX 17 "Rettet die Erde!".

Raumpatrouille: Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion
1.01 Angriff aus dem All (1966-09-17)
Writer: Rolf Honold (Writer), W. G. Larsen (Writer)
Director: Michael Braun
Cast: Dietmar Schönherr (Cliff Allister McLane), Eva Pflug (Tamara Jagellovsk), Wolfgang Völz (Mario de Monti), Claus Holm (Hasso Sigbjörnsen), F. G. Beckhaus (Atan Shubashi), Ursula Lillig (Helga Legrelle), Benno Sterzenbach (General Wamsler), Friedrich Joloff (Oberst Villa), Franz Schafheitlin (Sir Arthur), Hans Cossy (Marschall Kublai-Krim), Charlotte Kerr (General Lydia van Dyke), Lieselotte Quilling (Ingrid Sigbjörnson), Thomas Reiner (Adjutant Michael Spring-Brauner)

This series started to air around the same time as Star Trek did in the US. Germany only got Star Trek a few years later. 1972 to be exact.
In some regards it seems more progressive than Star Trek. Take this first episode for example: The captain has a female superior. And after pulling some Kirk-like stuff he is penalized by having to do patrolling, and is overseen by his new female security officer who has the right to overrule him when he violates regulations.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 25, 2012, 10:17:12 PM »
     Red Dwarf I (1988/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

BBC Worldwide (United Kingdom)
Length:177 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 1

Plot:
A radiation leak wipes out the crew of the mining ship Red Dwarf leaving one survivor - chicken soup machine repairman Dave Lister. After three million years in suspended animation, Lister emerges to find he is the last human being in the universe. But he is not alone.

Red Dwarf
1.01 The End
Writer: Rob Grant (Writer), Doug Naylor (Writer)
Director: Ed Bye
Cast: Chris Barrie (Rimmer), Craig Charles (Lister), Danny John-Jules (Cat), Norman Lovett (Holly), Robert Bathurst (Todhunter), Paul Bradley (Chen), David Gillespie (Selby), Mac McDonald (Captain Hollister), Robert McCulley (McIntyre), Mark Williams (Peterson), C.P. Grogan (Kochanski), John Lenahan (Toaster), Tony Hawks (Dispensing Machine)

A great beginning to a great show. My favorite scenes are the one where the first introduced the hologram concept by having a party for the recently deceased crew member who has been resurrected as hologram. And of course the famous "everybody is dead, Dave" scene.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 25, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »
     Robot Chicken: Season One (2005/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Length:333 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Plot:
It's here! The premiere season of Robot Chicken -- 20 channel flippin', toy murderin', attention-span shatterin', episodes straight from the hellish maw of Adult Swim's late-night lineup! Enjoy bite-sized nuggets of sketch comedy performed by yesteryear's favorite playthings, animated in state-of-the-art stop motion! (Hey, CGI-go straight to hell!) IT'S LIKE A POULTRY PARTY IN YOUR PANTS!

Robot Chicken
1.01 The Deep End (2005-04-10)
Writer: Doug Goldstein (Writer), Tom Root (Writer), Seth Green (Writer), Pat McCallum (Writer), Matthew Senreich (Writer)
Director: Seth Green
Cast: Seth Green ( (voice)), Alex Borstein ( (voice)), Chad Morgan ( (voice)), Adam Talbot ( (voice)), Breckin Meyer ( (voice)), Michael Benyaer ( (voice)), Dan Milano ( (voice)), Abraham Benrubi ( (voice)), Seth MacFarlane ( (voice)), Ryan Seacrest (Himself (voice))

This is a series which I had enjoyed watching but it kind of fizzled out during the third season which I still haven't finished watching.
The first episode is good but nothing really laugh out loud funny.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 25, 2012, 11:18:16 PM »
     Rocket Girls: The Complete Collection (2007/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Bandai Entertainment (United States)
Length:300 min.
Audio:Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Plot:
School is finally out for the summer and Yukari Morita has big plans this season. It's off to the Solomon Islands for her, in search of her long lost father. Unfortunately the archipelago stretches over 28,000 square kilometers and boasts a population of about 500,000 people. With odds like that, what's a girl to do? Luckily for Yukari the local Solomon Space Agency is in desperate need of a new astronaut. With their promise to help find her father Yukari begins her part time job as an astronaut! Prepare to blast off into a world of fun, facts and fan-service at 100 kilometers above the Earth's surface!

Rocket Girls
1.01 Destiny

A fun series. You can find my full review here. The first episode is good and introduces some of the characters and the basic premise.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 26, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »
     R.O.D: Read Or Die (2001/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Manga Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Length:99 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1

Plot:
The Library of Congress Never Planned for This!

A sinister plot is afoot and only one schoolteacher, a special agent with an affinity for literature, can stop it. She is Ms. Yomiko Readman - better known to her colleagues in Section A of Library Special Operations as "Agent Paper". Someone is bent upon procuring several rare lost Beethoven manuscripts and has somehow enlisted a few of history's most extraordinary personalities, through stolen DNA, to aid in the endeavour. Readman and her fellow super-powered operatives must tangle with the likes of Tokugawa-era scientist Gennai Hiraga, aviation pioneer Otto Lilienthal and 19th century entomologist Jean-Henri Fabre in a desperate race to find the books and save the World! Action and adventure abound in this thrilling anime series created by top-rate animation director Kouji Masunari. Contains the complete R.O.D series - three stunning 30-minute episodes!

R.O.D. - Read or Die
.01 Episode 1
Writer: Hideyuki Kurata (Created By), Taraku Uon (Original Characters By), Hideyuki Kurata (Screenwriter)
Director: Kouji Masunari
Cast: Japanese Cast), Rieko Miura (Yomiko Readman (The Paper) (voice)), Michiko Neya (Nancy Makuhari (Miss Deep) (voice)), Hozumi Gouda (Joker (voice)), Masami Iwasaki (Drake (voice)), Bunmei Tobayama (Gentleman (voice)), Mika Sakenobe (Wendy (voice)), Ryosuke Otani (Gennai Hiraga (voice)), Harii Kaneko (Otto Lilienthal (voice)), Kunihiko Takani (Fabre (voice)), Naoki Izumi (President (voice)), Hidefumi Takemoto (Paul (voice)), Yoshikazu Nagano (Malone (voice)), Koushi Shitazaki (SP (voice)), English Cast), Dave Herbelin (President (voice)), Dean Haglund (Gennai Hiraga (voice)), Kimberly Yates (Yomiko Readman (The Paper) (voice)), Amanda Winn Lee (Nancy Mukuhari (Miss Deep) (voice)), Douglas Rye (Jean-Henri Fabre (voice)), Crispin Freeman (Joker (voice)), Douglas Rye (Mr. Gentleman (voice)), Jaxon Lee (Drake Anderson (voice)), Scott MacDonnell (Recovery agent (voice)), Hal Lublin (Otto Lilienthal (voice)), Tricia Dickson (Wendy (voice)), Ryan Abraham (Additional Voices (voice)), Brooke Cadorette (Additional Voices (voice)), Sue Cremin (Additional Voices (voice)), Adam Harrington (Additional Voices (voice)), Hal Lublin (Additional Voices (voice)), Jason Miller (Additional Voices (voice)), Robert Peterson (Additional Voices (voice)), Douglas Rye (Additional Voices (voice)), Scott MacDonald (Additional Voices (voice))

A short three-episodes series which I enjoyed. It was followed by another series, but I haven't seen that one.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 26, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
     Roseanne: Season One (1988/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Anchor Bay Entertainment (United States)
Length:551 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
In 1988, it exploded onto TV full of unprecedented honesty, attitude and flat-out hilarity. No other series - before or since - has had its worldwide impact. In this groundbreaking debut season, meet the working-class Conners of Lanford, Illinois - wife/mother/domestic goddess Roseanne (Emmy® - winner 'Roseanne Barr'), husband Dan (seven-time Emmy® - nominee 'John Goodman'), her sister Jackie (three-time Emmy® - winner 'Laurie Metcalf'), and kids Becky ('Lecy Goranson'), Darlene (two time Emmy® - 'nominee Sara Gilbert'), and D.J. ('Michael Fishman'). Watch as they live their lives like no other family in television history as they launch the legendary sitcom that changed our culture forever.

It all begins with these '23 classic episodes' - featuring such guest stars as 'George Clooney', 'Fred Dalton Thompson' and more - including never before seen 'Bonus Material' produced exclusively for this collection.

Roseanne
1.01 Life and Stuff
Writer: Matt Williams (Created By), Matt Williams (Writer), Roseanne Arnold (Original Characters By)
Director: Ellen Falcon
Cast: Roseanne Arnold (Roseanne Conner), John Goodman (Dan Conner), Laurie Metcalf (Jackie Harris), Sal Barone (David Jacob 'D. J.' Conner), Sara Gilbert (Darlene Conner), Lecy Goranson (Becky Conner), George Clooney (Booker Brooks), Natalie West (Crystal Anderson), Judy Prescott (Miss Crane), Charlaine Woodard (Vonda), Ron Perkins (Pete Wilkins), Evelina Fernandez (Juanita Herrera), Anne Faulkner (Sylvia Foster)

This is a great series. I always enjoyed watching it. Between the first and second episode there was a cast change. The actor playing DJ changed. Also in these early episodes you can see a young George Clooney as Roseanne's boss.
I am still not used to Roseanne's original voice. It is very annoying. I grew up with the German dub.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 26, 2012, 09:42:08 PM »
     Roswell: Season One (1999/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:968 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Plot:
"I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. After that, things got really weird." So begins a new life for Liz and her friend Maria after they discover that three of their classmates at Roswell High aren't exactly from "around here." To be more exact, Max, Isabel and Michael are from "up there." Having grown up quietly within the community, their alien identities are suddenly jeopardized after Max uses his powers to save Liz's life. Now the alien trio must learn to trust their human friends even as they struggle to discover their own true identities.

Roswell
1.01 Pilot
Writer: Jason Katims (Writer)
Director: David Nutter
Cast: Shiri Appleby (Liz Parker), Jason Behr (Max Evans), Katherine Heigl (Isabel Evans), Majandra Delfino (Maria DeLuca), Brendan Fehr (Michael Guerin), Colin Hanks (Alex Whitman), Nick Wechsler (Kyle Valenti), William Sadler (Sheriff Jim Valenti), John Doe (Jeff Parker), Michael Horse (Deputy Blackwood), Wendle Josepher (Jennifer), Kevin Weisman (Larry), Vance Valencia (Mayor Sandler), Joe Camareno (Paramedic), Yolanda Lloyd Delgado (Ms. Hardy), Channing Carson (Liz at 7 years), Daniel Hansen (Max at 7 years), Zoe Nutter (Isabel at 7 years), Jonathan Frakes (Emcee (uncredited)), Richard Schiff (Agent Stevens (uncredited))

I enjoyed watching this series when it originally aired, but lost interest in the second season. I only finished watching it later on DVD.
As far as I am aware it was one of the first series which tried to build upon the success of Buffy and Dawson's Creek, by having a Dawson's Creek type of teen soap with a science fiction or fantasy twist. Many followed for good or worse.

Rating: