Author Topic: Lord of the Rings: Extended: Blu  (Read 4520 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Lord of the Rings: Extended: Blu
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:27:35 PM »
Finally the real version of LOTR comes out on Blu:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026L7H20/?tag=dvdcolonl-20
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of the Rings: Extended: Blu
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »
A lot of pissed off people writing reviews on this one.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »
Woohoo.

I'll definitely get this...will probably wait until there is an actual release date to preorder..but I'll get it.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:24:01 PM »
I watch this film once a year so this might actually be the DVD that makes me invest in a blu-ray player.

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:56:36 PM »
this might actually be the DVD that makes me invest in a blu-ray player.

what for? If it's a DVD, no need for a Blu-ray player  :shrug:

:devil:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 12:04:51 AM »
this might actually be the DVD that makes me invest in a blu-ray player.

what for? If it's a DVD, no need for a Blu-ray player  :shrug:

:devil:

:hysterical:

You do raise a legitimate point there.   :hysterical:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:19:07 AM »
A lot of pissed off people writing reviews on this one.
:headscratch:

I believe it's not even officially announced, so the specs aren't totally fixed.

Looking forward to it myself. Although rumor has it that no additional special features will be on this release. Well, with Jackson being busy on The Hobbit...

northbloke

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 12:54:59 AM »
I've just had a look at the pic of the set on the wbshop site and it looks like the films are still spread over 2 bloody discs! What's the point of that? The extended versions still weren't that long, so there's no reason they couldn't have gone onto one blu-ray.  :redcard:

Fasteddie33

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 01:11:48 AM »
It figures!!...I just bought the extended dvd trilogy!! :-[

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 05:27:59 AM »
I've just had a look at the pic of the set on the wbshop site and it looks like the films are still spread over 2 bloody discs! What's the point of that? The extended versions still weren't that long, so there's no reason they couldn't have gone onto one blu-ray.  :redcard:
They were up to 4 hours! I'd rather have to switch disc once and get the best possible quality; of course reviews will have to confirm that first before I lay down my cash.

What irks me is, that the extras are on DVDs only. Even if they were created in 480p and are not HD material, they could have used Blu-ray to put it all on two instead of three discs...? (Isn't that what the Alien set did; which has 6 discs total?) This set is going to have 14 discs :stars:

MEJHarrison

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »
This set is going to have 14 discs :stars:

15 actually.  2 BDs per movie, plus the 2 DVDs of bonus features from the original Extended Editions, plus a DVD with the bonus features from the re-releases a few years back.  That's 5 discs per movie and I'm sure you can handle the math from there. :laugh:

That really is too bad.  I would love to have seen this be a 6 disc set as well.  Heck, I'd be thrilled with a 3 disc set.  I've seen the special features and don't plan to revisit them... well... ever I guess.  Kinda done the bonus feature thing to death to be honest.  So I'd love to see a 3 disc set with just the movies. That I would buy! This? I'm not so sure.  I've never been a big fan in the first place.  Not sure I want to spend all that money.  May wait a few years for it to come down in price.  I may even be interested in seeing them again by that point. ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:24:53 PM by Mark Harrison »

lyonsden5

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 09:13:04 PM »
I've seen the movies one, the theatrical versions. I bought the extended versions on DVD when they came out but never got around to watching them.  :bag:

I passed on the theatrical version blu-ray waiting for this set. I have no doubt it will be on my shelves shortly after it is released. Might even watch it this time! :dance:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:30:42 AM »
This set is going to have 14 discs :stars:

15 actually.  2 BDs per movie, plus the 2 DVDs of bonus features from the original Extended Editions, plus a DVD with the bonus features from the re-releases a few years back.  That's 5 discs per movie and I'm sure you can handle the math from there. :laugh:
:bag:

Well, I want to have the special features. So, as I said before, I am getting something new with this set, namely the Cosat Botas(sp?) documentaries. But you really have to wonder if three DVDs could not have been replaced with two Blu-rays or, if some features had been put on the movie discs, one bonus disc only. Maybe it's cheaper this way...

I still watch bonus features on occasion, depending the movie and how much I care. For Inception, for example, or yesterday Death Race 2000. But I also cherry pick the ones I care for, will not watch everything religiously like I did 10 years ago.

I am sure I want LOTR on hi-def and will buy this, provided the picture quality is all the way up there. The previosu set seemed to get very close in delivering the goods.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 06:45:55 PM »
Well, I want to have the special features. So, as I said before, I am getting something new with this set, namely the Cosat Botas(sp?) documentaries. But you really have to wonder if three DVDs could not have been replaced with two Blu-rays or, if some features had been put on the movie discs, one bonus disc only. Maybe it's cheaper this way...

They could have gotten all the special features on a single disc easily.  They are only SD after all, not HD.  Heck, they probably could have put all the special features on two discs.  They have to currently be on DVD-9's I'd say.  3 bonus discs per movie, times 3 movies, times 9GB is only 81GB total.  So 2 50GB BDs should have handled it just fine.  Of course that would make the set feel "cheap" I think.  15 DISCS!!! is far more impressive to the average consumer.

I still watch bonus features on occasion, depending the movie and how much I care. For Inception, for example, or yesterday Death Race 2000. But I also cherry pick the ones I care for, will not watch everything religiously like I did 10 years ago.

I used to watch everything as well.  And I mean everything.  That's how I got so burnt out.  I may someday ease back in.  But for now I don't even look anymore.  From time to time something may catch my attention, but I don't seek out the bonus stuff anymore.

I am sure I want LOTR on hi-def and will buy this, provided the picture quality is all the way up there. The previosu set seemed to get very close in delivering the goods.

Picture quality will have a lot to do with my decision to buy or not.  I'm not really a fan anyway.  If the quality is outstanding, I may just get them.  If not, I'll probably wait for them to try again. :)

m.cellophane

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 07:10:34 PM »
I'll be happy to have the extended films on blu and even if I'm buying the bonus discs again, at least they're all in one package and I can give the DVD set away.