Author Topic: Another Proud Parent Moment  (Read 2830 times)

addicted2comics(:P)

Re: Another Proud Parent Moment
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 09:16:50 PM »
thank you all  ;D , the ceremony was kinda thrown together in a week's time though so rehearsal was most of what wacked out my schedual. That and troulbes with my computer.

but yeah, I work hard at school, taking an AP class for sure next year. Hopfully this'll help get me somewhere where scholarships are concerned. My family is broke. 

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 01:15:29 AM »
Brit - what is an AP class?

Be sure and contact Financial Aids offices at various colleges. Do it now - these people want to help you. There are many, many scholarships out there that these experts can guide you to.

There is a lot of money out there, especially for Freshman. For example, take a look at a few at my Alma mater: http://www.daemen.edu/admissions/FinancialAid/ScholarshipsGrants/Pages/default.aspx.

State and Federal programs are also designed to meet the needs of students with financial hardship.

But, the important thing to try is to get as much financial backing before resorting to loans. You do not need to burden yourself with years of debt that can be difficult to get out of.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 01:32:52 AM »
I believe an AP Class stands for Advanced Placement... I am sure Britt can correct me if I am wrong. As for what is Advanced Placement? I am not sure... possibly early college credit? As I said... I am sure Britt can explain... definitely much better then I! :P
Pete

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 01:34:36 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty much it. advanced placement and college credit. And yeah, I'm keeping an eye out. thanks for the link.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 02:01:47 AM »
I forgot to mention - there are often scholarships given by colleges for students who maintain academic excellence. I had several awarded to me and had never even applied for them!

You can also research your area of interest for financial scholarships. I applied, and received, money from several various nursing organizations.

There are a lot of incentive programs out there - one nurse had her entire tuition paid as long as she signed a 2 year commitment to work for the organization.

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 02:16:30 AM »
Ok, well, again, I'll be sure to look into it.  :D

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 02:18:16 AM »
Advance placement can certainly be nice.

.... or so I'm told. I was lucky that my school didn't try placing me in the dumpster out in the parking lot :-\
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 05:24:15 AM »
I was able to take a few college classes while still in high school through one program.  There are better programs for that now.
You may not be able to do them until junior or senior year if the program is in your state.  Students can take college classes free and get college credit as well as credit towards high school.  I know some students have been able to get a lot of the basic classes done that way..English..different math classes..stuff like that.
The program is called Post Secondary Education in Ohio.  It wouldn't hurt to see if there is a program like that where you live.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »
but yeah, I work hard at school, taking an AP class for sure next year. Hopfully this'll help get me somewhere where scholarships are concerned. My family is broke. 

I'm sure you'll do just fine.  I was in your situation and pretty much put myself through college.  A mix of scholarship, grants and student loans.  And at fairly decent university (Pepperdine) too.  It took a while to pay off the student loans, but it was worth it in the long run. :)