Poll

Which of the ten film nominated is your pick for Best film?

Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The Kings Speech
127 Hours
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

Author Topic: 2011 Alternative Oscars  (Read 8333 times)

Najemikon

2011 Alternative Oscars
« on: February 27, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
So this year I've seen five of the ten nominated, but I haven't seen The Kings Speech or The Social Network. Well, if the buzz is correct and the vote is pretty much between them, and they deserve it, then this is a bloody excellent year.

I saw True Grit last night and it was as others have said on this forum, marvellous. I would like to see it win, but if The Fighter were to snatch it, I couldn't argue against that either. Winter's Bone is achingly wonderful, but doesn't stand a chance against the juggernauts. So extending from the poll, here's my sweep:

Best Film:
The King's Speech will win; I want True Grit to win; I wish Winter's Bone could win; The Social Network would be a deserved win... from what I hear. Toy Story 3 would be an awesome win! :laugh: At least that'll get Animated.

Actor in a Leading Role: Javier Bardem, Jeff Bridges, Jesse Eisenberg, Colin Firth, James Franco   
Colin Firth will win over Jeff Bridges. I'd prefer it the other way around, but at least it was already the wrong way around last year (Bridges over Firth) so it all balances out!  ;)  James Franco would be a left-field and deserved win. I can't comment on the others, although Javier grabs my attention even in the short time the trailers for Biutiful allow.

Actress in a Leading Role: Annette Bening, Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lawrence, Natalie Portman, Michelle Williams
Natalie Portman will very likely win and I haven't seen Black Swan yet, but I like her and would not complain. There are whispers that there may be a late surge for Benning and I'm looking forward to seeing Blue Valentine, and as with Bardem, Williams' performance in that film intrigues me. Still, I want Lawrence to win for Winter's Bone.

Directing: Black Swan, The Fighter, The King's Speech, The Social Network, True Grit
Can't call it, but it will probably be The King's Speech as the Academy have a horrible habit of being unable to see the distinction between Best Film and Director. I think I'd like the Coens to get it for True Grit as it shows such a mature development of their style. Borderline Auteur's with that one. I would not complain if Russell got it for The Fighter and Fincher would be a popular choice, but even he has been expressing frustration about whose film The Social Network is perceived to be.

Actress in a Supporting Role: Amy Adams, Helena Bonham Carter, Melissa Leo, Hailee Steinfeld, Jacki Weaver
Ask me yesterday, I'd be in Amy Adams' corner for The Fighter, over co-star and apparent favourite, Melissa Leo. Now however, I'm all for Steinfeld. Her performance in True Grit is just brilliant. It's more of a lead role really, so I hope they take advantage of the category and award it to her. She is amazing. There is a lot of support for Weaver in Animal Kingdom, and she is fantastic, but falls short against the others.

Actor in a Supporting Role: Christian Bale, John Hawkes, Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo, Geoffrey Rush
As I say, I haven't seen The King's Speech, but Rush doesn't strike me as particularly remarkable. :shrug: I would not complain about Bale getting it, at all, but I want Hawkes to win for Winter's Bone. I've always liked Ruffalo so if it went completely weird and they gave it him, that'd be nice. But where's Guy Pearce for Animal Kingdom? The buggers. :yellowcard:

Adapted Screenplay: 127 Hours, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, True Grit, Winter's Bone
Apparently The Social Network would be a deserved win for Sorkin and I like that sort of screenplay, but in any case it kind of sticks out from these. Winter's Bone is more a directors film than a writers, the same could be said definitely of 127 Hours and maybe of True Grit, though I do quietly think that films greatest strength could be the dialogue. I know why Toy Story 3 is there, but it feels strange! It would still be cool to see that win though.

Original Screenplay: Another Year, The Fighter, Inception, The Kids Are All Right, The King's Speech
I smell a rat. They've split the vote to allow The Social Network one award and The King's Speech this one. I mean, it's a true story, just as interpreted as the one about Facebook. Why aren't they in the same category? Actually, The Fighter belongs in the other box too, surely. What the hell? :redcard: Otherwise, I think of Inception as being a clever magic trick of a film that hides it's own shortcomings, one of which is the screenplay. But out of those, I'd like to see it win.

Of the other awards, it would also be nice to see Inception get Editing, Production Design and Visual Effects, True Grit for Cinemeatography and what the hell, let The King's Speech have bloody Costumes.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:17:47 PM by Jon »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Alternative Oscars
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:24:25 PM »
I have seen only two those (Inception and Toy Story 3) and want to see two more (Black Swan and True Grit).

I wish Toy Story 3 would win :yu:

They show is today, right? When did they switch to Sundays? I still remember the Mondays; Woody Allen famously never showed up because Monday nights e wa playing clarinet in a bar in New York :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 06:26:16 PM »
As I only have seen two of the nominated movies as of now (Inception, Toy Story 3), I don't feel right to vote. Between those two I prefer Toy Story 3. I think Inception is overrated.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:27:43 PM »
Best Picture
127 Hours, Black Swan, The Fighter, Inception, The Kids Are All Right, The King's Speech, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, True Grit, Winter's Bone

I have seen all of the nominees except Toy Story 3. Jon calls it and excellent year and I suppose one should be thankful that none of the films are really bad, although only three of them truly deserve a nomination as Best Picture. Winter's Bone is by far the best of the bunch, followed by Black Swan and True Grit. While I get the points Jon made about The Fighter in his review, it is the film I liked the least.

Based on the list of eligible films (see here), the most glaring omission is Neil Jordan's Ondine. Less glaring, but still more deserving than most of the actual nominees: Blue Valentine, Kick-Ass, The American. That's off the top of my head, there are probably others.

The King's Speech will most likely win. The Weinsteins show how much respect they have for their own film product by re-releasing it in the US in a cleaned up PG-13 version.

Funny side note: Loss of limbs beats loss of reality 3:2.

Best Lead Actor
Javier Bardem (Biutiful), Jeff Bridges (True Grit), Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network), Colin Firth (The King's Speech), James Franco (127 Hours)

I haven't seen Biutiful and no strong preference regarding the others. Colin Firth will most likely win and I can't say it would be undeserved.

Most glaring omissions: Ryan Gosling (Blue Valentine), George Clooney (The American).

Best Lead Actress
Annette Bening (The Kids Are All Right), Nicole Kidman (Rabbit Hole), Jennifer Lawrence (Winter's Bone), Natalie Portman (Black Swan), Michelle Williams (Blue Valentine)

That's a tough one. I'm slightly in favor of Michelle Williams over Jennifer Lawrence, but both were really spectacular. None of the other three performances were even remotely in the same league, but Natalie Portman will probably win.

Most glaring omission: Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit), who got shoved into the Supporting category. It wouldn't have changed my opinion on Williams and Lawrence, but I would have put her in front of Portman. Also, Emma Stone (Easy A) and Carey Mulligan (Never Let Me Go) would have deserved at least a nomination nod before Bening and Kidman.

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale (The Fighter), John Hawkes (Winter's Bone), Jeremy Renner (The Town), Mark Ruffalo (The Kids Are All Right), Geoffrey Rush (The King's Speech)

I haven't seen The Town. While I didn't like The Fighter, Christian Bale was pretty impressive there. Still, my favorite is John Hawkes. The actual winner will be Bale or Rush and it is hard to say if the Academy will opt out of embracing the mediocrity of The King's Speech for a moment or if they go for a full sweep.

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams (The Fighter), Helena Bonham Carter (The King's Speech), Melissa Leo (The Fighter), Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit), Jacki Weaver (Animal Kingdom)

I haven't seen Animal Kingdom. Hailee Steinfeld would be my favorite, but she's in the wrong category, so I have to go with Amy Adams. Still, Melissa Leo will probably win, but what I said about Rush may apply to Bonham-Carter as well.

Best Animated Feature
How to Train Your Dragon,  L'illusionniste,  Toy Story 3

I have only seen L'illusionniste and while I normally champion the smaller productions, I was underwhelmed by it. Toy Story 3 will most likely win and this year I don't care.

Best Foreign Language Film
Biutiful (Alejandro González Iñárritu, Mexico), Kynodontas (Giorgos Lanthimos, Greece), Hævnen (Susanne Bier, Denmark), Incendies (Denis Villeneuve, Canada), Hors-la-loi (Rachid Bouchareb, Algeria)

Of these I've only seen Kynodontas (Dogtooth), which received a lot of praise by critics and certainly is interesting, but I didn't really like it. I've read too little about the other nominees to make a prediction here.

Best Directing
Black Swan, True Grit, The Social Network, The King's Speech, The Fighter
Should win: Winter's Bone Black Swan, will win: The King's Speech.

Best Screenplay
Another Year,  The Fighter, Inception, The Kids Are All Right, The King's Speech
I haven't seen Mike Leigh's Another Year yet, but from what I've read it should probably win. Will win: The King's Speech.

Best Adapted Screenplay
127 Hours, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, True Grit, Winter's Bone
Again, I haven't seen Toy Story 3. Should win: True Grit, will win: The Social Network.

Best Cinematography
Black Swan, Inception, The King's Speech, The Social Network, True Grit
Should win: Winter's Bone True Grit, will win: ?

Best Editing
127 Hours, Black Swan, The Fighter, The King's Speech, The Social Network
Should win: Black Swan, will win: ?
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 11:50:53 PM »
Good point about Clooney. I haven't seen The American yet, but I hear he is great. I think it will be because it's a subtle performance easily ignored by voters who need yelling at. There's a line of thinking that Whalberg suffered the same problem though I thought he was only Very Good not exceptional.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »
I've six of the best picture movies this year.  I have not seen Winter's Bone, The Kids Are Alright, The Social Network, or 127 Hours.  Honestly, the only one of those that I'm interested in seeing is Winter's Bone.

I would love to see Toy Story 3 win best picture..or Inception, but I know that won't happen.  I'd be really happy if True Grit won, but again, I doubt it will happen.  It is looking like A King's Speech will get it and that doesn't bother me..but it isn't my favorite of the year. 

I really don't know for director...I'm still a bit irked that Christopher Nolan didn't get a nomination.

Colin Firth was wonderful in A King's Speech and I think he is good for best actor. 
Oh, I hadn't thought about Clooney in The American for some reason, but Matthias is right..Clooney was wonderful in that.  It isn't a flashy performance, just like the movie isn't flashy, and that is probably why he's been over looked. 

Natalie Portman was very good in Black Swan.  I'd be a bit surprised if someone else won now.  Though I also think Hailee Steinfeld should have been in this category instead of supporting actress. 

I did like Melissa Leo and Amy Adams in The Fighter, but Steinfeld is just so amazing.  I do hope she wins.  Helena Bonham Carter is good in A King's Speech..though not as good as Steinfeld in my opinion.

Geoffrey Rush was fine in The King's Speech, but I think Christian Bale was much better in The Fighter.  Jeremy Renner was really good in The Town too...and I think that movie should have gotten a few more nominations.

I would like to see Inception win for screenplay, but A King's Speech will probably get it.  Toy Story 3 or True Grit for adapted screenplay, but it looks like The Social Network will get it. 

I liked How to Train Your Dragon too, but Toy Story 3 is so much better.  I'll be irked..very irked if it doesn't win somehow.  It stinks that there are only 3 animated movies this year..Tangled deserved one as well.

I hope Inception gets some of the effects awards.  I hope True Grit gets something..it is too good of a movie not to win something.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 12:31:08 AM »
The Supporting Actress category is one of the hardest to pick this year.
I think Melissa Leo will win, but I personally woud like to see Amy Adams or Hailee Steinfeld win it.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 01:56:09 AM »
Yesterday's Independent Spirit Awards nominees and winners: http://www.spiritawards.com/nominees

A bit surprising (at least to me) that even there Winter's Bone managed only to win supporting actress/actor (Dale Dickey and John Hawkes) out of its seven nominations. Equally surprising there: Natalie Portman winning against Michelle Williams and Jennifer Lawrence and Black Swan winning all four of its nominations.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:42:44 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 02:26:13 AM »
Most glaring omission: Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit), who got shoved into the Supporting category.
Mark Kermode agrees with you here. But he also pointed out, that her chances to actually win are probably higher this way. After all, the Oscars are always very "political"...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 02:27:06 AM »
Most glaring omission: Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit), who got shoved into the Supporting category.
mark Kermode agrees with you here. But he also pointed out, that her chances to actually win are probably higher this way. After all, the Oscars are always very "political"...

Unfortunately, that is true. 

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 04:26:01 AM »
Mark Kermode agrees with you here. But he also pointed out, that her chances to actually win are probably higher this way.

A lead nomination nod with no chance to win would have been not only more honest but also more impressive than even a win in the Supporting category, especially for such a young actress. The strategical shoehorning looks more like an insult than an honor - and it didn't work out anyway.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 04:28:40 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 04:39:38 AM »
Mark Kermode agrees with you here. But he also pointed out, that her chances to actually win are probably higher this way.

A lead nomination nod with no chance to win would have been not only more honest but also more impressive than even a win in the Supporting category, especially for such a young actress. The strategical shoehorning looks more like an insult than an honor - and it didn't work out anyway.

That's true too.  Her character is clearly a lead character in that movie.  I was hoping she'd end up winning supporting actress.

RossRoy

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 04:49:06 AM »
After all, the Oscars are always very "political"...

That's what I hate about the Oscars, and why I couldn't care less about them. Nobody wins solely on merit, there's always a bit marketing machine behind any winner. Meaningless crud really.

Same goes with a lot of other so called "awards". If it's not a behind the scene marketing machine trying to sway elite voters, it's the public voting for whoever's more popular at the moment ... again, useless and meaningless crud.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 05:41:39 AM »
Of course Sebastien that's why I watch none of those show. I don't need no one to tell me what is the best film, actor, actress or whatever... The only thing important is my choice.

But I must say it was fun to watch the TV here in the last weeks with all the usual over the top comments because one of our film is nominated. Even funnier when only 100 persons as seen this film in our province and only 3 theatres had shown it one weekend, but everyone talk like it's the best french canadian movie ever made :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 05:47:30 AM »
I watched the show again for the first tome in several years, for the first time live ever. My standout moment must have been Kirk Douglas presenting. Randy Newman's speech was fun and the best line in a speech was "I should have gotten a haircut" :laugh: