Author Topic: The little known movie review depot  (Read 306430 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: The little known movie review depot
« Reply #195 on: January 31, 2009, 06:30:30 PM »
It's evident that I prefer the first part, but the second one is interesting too since the movie go to a different genre completly. The movie start as a very dark and sleazy girls in distress one to become in the second part a revenge story. I agree that the parents revenge is unconventional, but it must match the act done by the Krugg Gang to be effective. Do you think seriously that the way almost anyone would have react would have made a better film? The parents find the dead girl and call the police... Now that would have been stupid... The revenge of Max von Sydow in The Virgin Spring (surprise that I've this) isn't different and I don't think anyone would say that this Bergman's movie is a ridiculous pieces of garbage...

Sorry Jon but David Hess is excellent there, nobody could have played a psychotic gang leader like he have done. He had a strong and frightening precence on the screen everytime he appears this isn't for nothing if he continue to get works in the business (how many actors can say that after 37 years?). Fred Lincoln even if he doesn't shine as much as Hess, play the sidekick part very well. He is not a psychopat, but he is a part of this because he had escape the jail with Krugg that's why you can see more than one dimension to his characters. Lincoln could have became a great characters actor too, but his first love was the adult industry and honestly theres no way that I will make any critics for his decision. Without it films like She Comes in Colors, The Outlaw, Nurse Nancy, Same Time Every Year and Trouble (just to name a few) would have never been made.

The remake don't interest me a single minute, why would I want to watch a teen movie with an insignificant cast of plastic tv wanabee in a film that will have everything good from the original one remove? This is the same with The Hills have eyes remake, I own it and I've watched it : verdict - a complete waste of my time...     

Najemikon

« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2009, 07:21:08 PM »
It's evident that I prefer the first part, but the second one is interesting too since the movie go to a different genre completly. The movie start as a very dark and sleazy girls in distress one to become in the second part a revenge story. I agree that the parents revenge is unconventional, but it must match the act done by the Krugg Gang to be effective. Do you think seriously that the way almost anyone would have react would have made a better film? The parents find the dead girl and call the police... Now that would have been stupid... The revenge of Max von Sydow in The Virgin Spring (surprise that I've this) isn't different and I don't think anyone would say that this Bergman's movie is a ridiculous pieces of garbage...

Of course the parents wouldn't call the police (though if they did, it would be an hilarious twist!); the whole point is about the cyclic nature of violence. My issue is simply that the way they took their revenge was impossible to identify with and so ridiculous you're taken out of the story, whereas the scene in the forest is done so stark and real. Two words: blow job. How could anyone think for a second that was feasible?

There isn't a single moment in Last House or any of Craven's films that bears comparison with Bergman. And contrary to popular belief, I do think Craven is a good director, just an inconsistent one. Bergman's message is so much clearer and deeper without resorting to showing such detailed brutality.

Actually, have you seen In The Bedroom? Very powerful drama with a similar message.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:22:48 PM by Jon »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2009, 07:50:13 PM »
Two words: blow job. How could anyone think for a second that was feasible?
I have to agree with you there. But since she wants him out of the house this is the only thing that she can think of, why not just stab him or cut his throat when he is tied? Seems more logic to me, but don't forget this is an exploitation picture and this is the way with them. That make me think of Day of the Woman (aka I Spit on Your Grave) when Jeniffer got in the bath with Johnny to achieves her revenge, not logic one second but what a powerfull scene (much better than the one we discuss here).

Bergman's message is so much clearer and deeper without resorting to showing such detailed brutality.
Agree again, but this isn't the same public : one is a drive-in exploitation film and the other is an arthouse movie. But the fact remains that the parent got their revenge in a similar way, minus the sex and the chainsaw

Actually, have you seen In The Bedroom?
No, looks a little bit boring for my taste no? Sissy Spacek equals mostly boring tv drama in my book. But maybe I'll give it a go (if I find it cheap) since I was never deceive by one of your recommandation...

Najemikon

« Reply #198 on: January 31, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »
Actually, have you seen In The Bedroom?
No, looks a little bit boring for my taste no? Sissy Spacek equals mostly boring tv drama in my book. But maybe I'll give it a go (if I find it cheap) since I was never deceive by one of your recommandation...

You're probably right, and I was thinking that actually even as I typed! Todd Field is definitely a meticulous drama director and the story is mainly a study of grief, so it's dry and a little slow. That's what I thought it would be anyway when I sat down to watch it and for two thirds I was right. Just a solid well written brilliantly acted drama. Then it goes in a slightly different direction... very much worth seeing. Especially as it features Marisa Tomei, who is just wonderful and criminally under-used.  :thumbup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2009, 01:13:27 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: House on the Edge of the Park (1980)

Genre: Crime
Director: Ruggero Deodato           
Rating: Unrated
Length: 1h31
Video: Widescreen
Audio: English
Subtitles: None

Stars:
David A. Hess
Giovanni Lombardo Radice
Annie Belle
Lorraine De Selle
Cristian Borromeo

Plot:
HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK has no mercy. Right from the start, the evil and violence of Alex (David A. Hess) and his slightly retarded sidekick Ricky (Giovanni Lombardo Radice aka John Morghen), dominate the movie as they rape and strangle a young girl.

After helping a rich couple with their car, they invite themselves to a party. The people at the party seem bored and looking for kicks, unaware of the two madmen in their midst. When the tension is broken, the film descends into an unrelenting collection of repugnant moments of humiliation, rape, mutilation and murder.

My Thoughts:
I've decided to watch this one after Last House on the Left since it's essantially an italian version of Last House set in the city. I think the plot is honest for what this film is since this is exactly the movie, don't expect any comic relief or genre shifting. I will not comment on David Hess again since in this film he plays Krugg Stillo with a different name. Giovanni Lombardo Radice give the best performance of his career (not with his voice since the movie is dub, but with the gestuals and expressions he use to play a retard). The rest of the cast isn't better or worse than any others italian exploitation films made in this period. But you will see many familliar faces in it : Annie Belle (Bacchanales sexuelles), Lorraine De Selle (Cannibal ferox), Christian Borromeo (Tenebre) and Brigitte Petronio (Emanuelle Around the World) are all easilly recognizable. The movie is violent and some of the scenes are pretty realist (the effect for the slicing of Cindy is particullary well done). You have the same vibe from the beginning untill the end. The movie had a twist ending that make absolutly no sense when you think of it more than 3 seconds, but I can live with that. Riz Ortolani had written another good musical score for this one. My only problem with this film is the english dubbing that is ridicule by moment.

It's italian exploitation so you get a lot of nudity if you don't like the violence... 

Rating :

richierich

« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »
By the way : Am I the only one who think that Lucy Grantham had age wonderfully?

Yep, I think you are the only one

:hysterical: :laugh: :hysterical: :tease:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 24, 2009, 02:03:44 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: The Curse of Lizzie Borden II - Prom Night (2008)

Genre: Horror
Director: Eric Swelstad            
Rating: Unrated
Length: 1h19
Video: Widescreen

Stars:
Randal Malone
Kate Reavis
Roxy Darr
Jeanine Orci
Aaron Ferguson

Plot:
Five years ago, Cassie Daniels, thinking herself to be Lizzie Borden, savagely murdered six innocent people. Since that time, Cassie has been locked away in a saitarium where, every night, she is plagued by blood drenched nightmares and haunted by the ghosts of her victims. During a therapy session, Cassie slips back into her Lizzie Borden persona and brutally murders her doctor - setting off a chain-reaction of violence and bloodshed.

Under an assumed name, Cassie befriends the new history professor at the local Community College. The students are studying American folklore and Lizzie Borden is the topic of choice. The body count quickly begins to rise as the students prepare for the upcoming end-of-semester Prom Night bash. With an axe gripped tightly in her hands, Cassie hacks her way through the faculty and student body untill the final bloody showdown wich leaves one brave student to face the deranged and homicidal lunatic. Only one will survive!

My Thoughts:
The first part was one of the worst movies that I've ever seen in my life and since I'm a masochist the moment I've heard that a sequel was to be made I've decided to get it. Evidently my expectations for this film were really low and I was not really anxious to watch it (I wanted to wait the next horror marathon, but Pete wanted a review now). To be honest the movie was better than expected : the effects are done better (but it's not that hard to beat the previous one), the new actress who play Lizzie Borden can act (she's very beautifull too), there are more than one location, they haven't use a cheap digital camera this time (probably filmed on digital again, but the DP is more talented than the DP for the first one), the movie is better written (some line are actually funny) and the prom band is not to bad. But... most of the cast members can't act to save their life, the prom is really cheap looking (I really mean it) and unecessary, the film feels like "Silent Night part 2" because of the footages of the original use for it and, the worst, the annoying Randall Malone is back as some kind of a ghost (he is the fat queer in the original) and his acting is even crappier than in the first part.

You probably already know if this is for you or not, but in my case it was a nice surprise. I can say that it's the best movie made in 2008 that I've bought this year, but... it's the only one that I've got :laugh:

Rating :
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:14:03 PM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 24, 2009, 12:09:40 PM »
going by your comments and that trailer I would have to say it looks like a little bit of an improvement. But don't think it is for me!  :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #203 on: February 24, 2009, 07:21:13 PM »
 ???

Jimmy, I know you don't like mainstream films as a rule, but come on! I'd take the shittiest remake or sequel over that. It's like a couple of kids did a weird home movie! It wouldn't even pass a Media course at a college. I can't believe it's even possible to buy it! :shrug: :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 24, 2009, 07:44:47 PM »
and to think I have gotten/bought worse!  :bag: **Cough**The Sorority**Cough**  :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2009, 12:42:56 AM »
???

Jimmy, I know you don't like mainstream films as a rule, but come on! I'd take the shittiest remake or sequel over that. It's like a couple of kids did a weird home movie! It wouldn't even pass a Media course at a college. I can't believe it's even possible to buy it! :shrug: :tease:
Compare to the previous one this movie is a big improvment. Sometimes you are lucky when you take a chance on very low budget movie, not often but it can happen. Every director had to start somewhere and usually those first films aren't that great (just some that I have) :

- Brian Depalma : Murder à la Mod
- John Carpenter : Dark Star
- Sam Raimi : The Evil Dead
- William Girdler : Asylum of Satan
- Frank Henenlotter : Basket Case
- etc

As you can see there are some gems in this short list. But to be honest the only reason why I've bought this is because the original was worst than a piece of shit.

I'll take a movie like this or, even, Within the Wood before any pointless Hollywood remake like The Day the Earth Stood Still or Halloween or Suspiria (thanks God this one looks dead).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 12:44:39 AM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2009, 09:22:05 AM »
That list kind of proves my point though. I've seen Evil Dead and Dark Star and both are infinitely better than that thing! Yes, directors have to start somewhere, but it's usually on a film course and their assignments don't get released. ;) I bet Spielberg's WWII film he made as a kid is better than that, but you can't buy it... :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 04, 2009, 06:40:37 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: L'Amour (1984)

Genre: Love Story
Director: Jack Remy           
Rating: XXX
Length: 1h25
Video: Full Frame

Stars:
Kay Parker
Harry Reems
Jamie Gillis
Angel
Tom Byron

Plot:
An erotic comedy that gets somewhat complicated, with everyone screwing everyone else -- but there's plenty of sex action to keep your body occupied. The characters are easy to like -- they're good people, who go to the right restaurants, know the right stock brokers, and wear the right fashions. With lush photography and posh settings, this is the best looking film of the year.

My Thoughts:
I miss the time when an adult movie was a movie and not a plotless story to get boring sex scenes after boring sex scenes. I miss the time when the adult performers were able to say more than 2 phrases in a row without an unatural feeling. I miss the time when the actress were naturally beautifull and not remake in plastic. God, sometimes I feel old...

So what we have here? One of the best movie I've seen in my life, not as good as Misty Bethoven but easilly a new entry in my top ten. This is a wonderfull love story between a divorced couple (Parker and Reems) who are always in love with each other even if they don't see it (in fact Reems get married again after the divorce). The story start when Kay parker came to live at her ex-husband house with their son (a very young and nice looking Tom Biron) because he haven't paid his child support. Evidently this situation displease to the new wife of Harry Reems played by Angel (she's the girl on the cover and she is one of the most beautifull woman to have ever appear in an adult feature). The acting is great and I'm serious since the movie countains much more plot scene than sex scene (not really a problem for me, since I don't like sex festival). Gillies, Reems and Parker are reliable as usual and even the ordinary not so good actors give a credible performance here. Even if it's not as interesting as the principal story, you get a nice teenagers love story between Tom Biron and Shanna McCullough.

Really a perfect movie professionally made with a good cinematography, a lot of outdoor scene, an original soundtrack (a very beautifull romantic theme song), many funny lines, an highly erotic atmosphere (you feel the love) and a very good end (not surprising but good anyway).

You even get a surprise with one of the actress (Ivory Essex), but don't count on me to tell you what it is :P

The only downside is the fact that this movie is not available yet on dvd like many others movies directed by Jack Remy (maybe he is the copyright owner of his film, contrary to many adult movie director :shrug:).

And finally, even if the title is in french the movie isn't a french one...   

Rating :
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:31:47 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2009, 07:25:55 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Nothing to Hide (1981)

Genre: Comedy
Director: Anthony Spinelli           
Length: 1h38

Stars:
John Leslie
Richard Pacheco
Chelsea Manchester
Erica Boyer
Misty Regan

Plot:
Those familiar with the Talk Dirty To Me films will remember John Leslie's character Jack, a smooth-talking playboy who couldn't seem to miss with the ladies, and his dim-witted strike-out king buddy Lenny. This film centers around Lenny, who after being humiliated by an off-hand remark made by another of Jack's soon-to-be conquests, literally runs into a girl who's as much of a dork as he is. Love blooms. They get married, although Jack voices his opposition. Lenny lives happily ever after, while Jack is left with one shallow sex session after another. The remarkable statement made by this film - sex isn't everything - makes it one of the all-time stand out couples tapes as well as a certified scorching sex film.

My Thoughts:
An adult movie again today, sorry if that bothers you but this is the genre of film that I'm in the mood to watch since a couple of week (just a look at my watched banner and this is pretty clear). This one is another classic from a time when those movies played theatrically. This film was directed by Anthony Spinelli so we already know that we will have something good in our hand (Spinelli had never directed a movie on video, he had decided to end his career instead). This is a really good story about the friendship between two very different men. John Leslie is a womanizer who doesn't really care about the girl (he wants to fuck and that's all), Pacheco is more naive and shy and he search for the real love (make me think of me when I was young). In the film more of the action is from Leslie and his one timer, but the most beautifull and erotic moment happen between Lenny (Pacheco) and Karen (Chelsea Manchester) when they had their first relation, it feels so much like 2 teenagers who love each other do it the first time (at least it was like that when I was one 20 years ago). The acting is good, but this is not a surprise that Leslie and Pacheco can act (Pacheco had always choose his role carefully during his career). Chelsea Manchester, Misty Regan and Holly McCall does a good job too, in fact only Erica Boyer isn't a real good actress but she had not too much to say (but she was a real sexual bomb :drooling:). For the rest the cinematography is good, there are a lot of action (even car stunt), some quote of Leslie are really funny, the music is great and everyone here is natural.

This one is available on dvd, but the label who had released it had placed their logo on the screen occasionally. This is why I don't own it, I can't stand those logo when I pay a good price for a dvd.

If you had bought some adult movie because of my precedent recommandation, you can go with this one too. I'm sure that you will like it. 

Rating :
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:32:23 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 08, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Naked Came the Stranger (1975)

Genre: Comedy
Director: Radley Metzger           
Length: 1h23

Stars:
Darby Lloyd Rains
Levi Richards
Mary Stuart
Alan Marlowe
Helen Madigan

Plot:
Williams and Gillian have the most popular radio talk show around, maybe because they talk about sex. But when William starts giving intimate sex advice in his spare time, his lovely wife decides to give him a dose of his own medicine. Another classic from acclaimed director Henry Paris.

My Thoughts:
It's been a while since I've watched an Henry Paris(Metzger alias for his adult film) movie. I've always enjoyed everything directed by him and I've pass his others dvd release because they are cut. But thanks to another great forum (at least for someone like me) I've found the classic Metzger's movies uncut the only way to see them. This one like all the Metzger's movie had a great script (in fact this is based on the "Penelope Ashe" book) and really good acting. This is probably the adult movie that he had made that looks the less like one. I explain myself, there aren't a lot of complete sexual acts and to be honest the feeling I get from it is that I'm not the target for it. The majority of the sex scenes are oral sex on man, not that I can't appreciated that but sometimes you reach the point when enough is enough. I really like the encounters between Rains and Gerald Grant (from Score) that plays like a silent movie and the one between Rains and Alan Marlowe while they do it riding in a bus in New York. Like I've said the dvd release is cut and a lot (11 minutes) and I honestly can't see what can be warrant that much censorship. Too bad since I'm sure Kathy would had liked this one...

Rating :
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:33:38 AM by Jimmy »