Author Topic: The little known movie review depot  (Read 309445 times)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: The little known movie review depot
« Reply #405 on: July 06, 2012, 06:40:20 AM »
Glad you liked it, Jimmy, but I can't say I was impressed. Too tiringly one-note and in the end the film doesn't come off much better than the media stupidity it aims to satirize.
Matthias

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #406 on: July 06, 2012, 07:17:29 AM »
I'm glad you liked Alien on Blu-ray. 
I still have to watch the second one.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 12, 2012, 05:53:02 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Deathstalker II (1987)

Genre: Fantasy
Director: Jim Wynorski
Rating: R
Length: 1h25
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English
Subtitles: None

Stars:
John Terlesky
Monique Gabrielle
John Lazar
Toni Naples
Maria Socas

Plot:
Deathstalker II (John Terlesky) has a mission: to save the kingdom from the wicked grip of the immoral wizard Jerak and his queen Sultana. Together they have ruled the land by creating a controllable evil twin of the lovely Princess Evie (Monique Gabrielle). Capturing the real Princess Evie, Deathstalker must now return her to her rightful place of power - but the swordsman’s battle has just begun.

My Thoughts:
This one is a favorite of mine among all the movies released in the Roger Corman Collection and it's surprising since the sword fantasy genre isn't my cup of tea. But this one had something different, Jim Wynorski directed it so you know that it won't be deadly serious. Of course the reason why I like it is probably the reason why the fan of the genre don't...

Even with the tongue-in-cheek style you get some good swordfight (the finale is pretty good) and fight in general... you even get a wrestling match between Deathstalker and a woman (Dee Booher who was a "real" wrestler and a roller derby player). The movie even had some zombie action for Pete...

The cast do a good job but Monique Gabrielle is the one who steal the show in a double role, she is really cute in her seer part.

The set is a good one to see if you like or not the genre as you get 4 movies... but none of the three others are as good as Deathstalker II is, but like I said I like the not too serious approach of this film.

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 17, 2012, 01:48:19 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Liverpool (2012)

Genre: Romantic Comedy
Director: Manon Briand
Rating: G
Length: 1h53
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: French
Subtitles: French & English

Stars:
Stéphanie Lapointe
Charles-Alexandre Dubé
Louis Morissette
Alexa-Jeanne Dubé
Giovanni Apollo

Plot:
A coat-check attendant in a bar decides to bring an unclaimed coat back to its owner, but soon finds herself in the middle of a criminal intrigue. A regular at the bar who has long harboured a secret love for the attendant will put his life on the line to help her.

My Thoughts:
This french canadian production released this summer was not a big box-office success, but it wasn't really a surprise fror me as French Canadian movie goers like dumb comedy (it isn't for nothing if something idiotic like Les boys got 2 sequels and one TV serie). Anyway when I've seen the trailer for this film I got the impression that it would be a winner, a couple of months later it turns that I was right... The film is describe as a romantic comedy but it isn't really the case, so if you expect a Meg Ryan type of film you are due for an huge deception. Of course the story is a little bit far fetched at some occasion, but it's a movie not the real life. I particulary like the fact they didn't go with the usual french canadian movie casting for a change, as the film doesn't have big names. In fact the only real star in it is Louis Morissette, but he is more a TV actor and isn't in his usual role casting. I like too the interaction between the two principal characters, Stéphanie Lapointe is perfect in her role as she had the same shyness and the same caring personallity in real life that her movie character had.

Really if you can deal with the fact it is subtitled (common I deal with that with almost everything I watch) you will have a fun time with a good exemple of an intelligent comedy from my part of the world. Of course, I guess it will be hard to get outside of the province of Québec but if I can import from the US and the uk you can certainly do the same.

No english trailer exist as it was never dub, but this one is subtitled in english

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 17, 2012, 01:53:56 AM »
Amazon Canada doesn't have it in stock currently, but if you are from the ROC or the US you can order it from Archambault.ca.

I have no idea of what is the shipping cost...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 17, 2012, 06:32:07 AM »
I try to watch Catwoman, but that movie is so badly acted and ridiculous... I sure pause it often to do other things :laugh:

Even Pete didn't like it... that tell you a lot about the awfullness of that film :shrug:

Forget it... it took me almost four hours to reach the 59 minutes mark, so this one goes in the I will never end it pile :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 06:48:39 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #411 on: November 17, 2012, 07:26:44 AM »
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.  Why in the world did you attempt to watch Catwoman?  Did you hit your head or something?

That movie is a huge, steaming pile of crap.  No...it would have to improve to be a steaming pile of crap.  It is truly one of the worst movies I have ever seen.  It makes Twilight look like a masterpiece.  I still want to know what the hell Warner Brothers was thinking to approve what passed for the script...and why in DC Comics let the the thing be made.  That character was not Catwoman by any stretch of the imagination. 

I did have fun ripping it apart in a review on Epinions though.  :laugh:  This one deserves not only 0 stars, but negative stars.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 17, 2012, 08:11:32 AM »
Because it was in a box of DVDs that Kathy gave me last year and I try to go trough my unwatched DVDs pile... Must of the time the movie are enjoyable, but I think she gave me that one to torture me :laugh:

Just read your review and the conclusion made me laugh :laugh:

"Catwoman was released on DVD with a full screen and a widescreen version. I can’t remember which one I rented. I don’t remember what kind of special features there were on the disc because I wasn’t interested enough to check them out."

I guess you have no choice to give one star like a review at Amazon or imdb :hmmmm:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:20:58 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #413 on: November 17, 2012, 08:31:47 AM »
Ahh...I see.  It is Kathy's fault.   :laugh:

I'm glad you found the review entertaining.

We have to give everything at least one star there.  Several of us have said we would like to have a 0 star option...and really half a star too.  I have watched a lot of movies..unfortunately, I've thought some have been pretty bad.  I think for many of the bad ones, I'd still give half a star or 1 star too.  This one really, really, really deserves none.  I think this is worse than even Epic Movie and Date Movie...and that is saying something.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 17, 2012, 07:30:02 PM »
I think this is worse than even Epic Movie and Date Movie...and that is saying something.
I think you are right, at least I was able to watch them completly... not that it was that fun to do so :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #415 on: November 17, 2012, 09:36:27 PM »
Exactly.
Though I did get all the way through Catwoman..but it was torture.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 18, 2012, 06:09:38 AM »
I did have fun ripping it apart in a review on Epinions though.  :laugh:  This one deserves not only 0 stars, but negative stars.
So what we'll call that the, black holes?

"I rate this movie five black holes."

:laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #417 on: November 18, 2012, 07:38:05 AM »
Hmmm...that could work.  Any potential enjoyment was sucked away by how horrible the movie was.   :laugh:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #418 on: November 18, 2012, 09:22:09 AM »
I preferred Catwoman over Epic Movie, Date Movie, Vampires Suck and several others, but agree that as a whole it wasn't very good. When I saw it I expected it to be the worst thing ever though so I scored it slightly above my expectations at a massive 1.5/5.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 17, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: House of Wax (2005)

Genre: Horror
Director: Jaume Collet-Serra
Rating: R
Length: 1h53
Video: Fullscreen
Audio: English, French and Spanish
Subtitles: English, French and Spanish

Stars:
Elisha Cuthbert
Chad Michael Murray   
Brian Van Holt
Paris Hilton
Jared Padalecki

Plot:
When their car breaks down on a road trip, six college friends are sidetracked into an eerie backwoods town. Curiosity gets the better of them when they are intrigured by its macabre House of Wax. They soon find out that the town is not what it seems and they must find their way out before they fall victim to its ghoulishly inventive killers.

My Thoughts:
I know already what you expected to see before openning the review... I've find that this movie is a piece of shit. Surprise I didn't, not that it is that good but I expected something awfull wich is why I've wait one year to watch it. Of course I have some problem with the acting who is so-so for most of the cast, in fact except for Brian Van Holt and Damon Herriman no one else is really good (wooden stereotype acting). There are some non-senses by exemple the museum (really even if you are the greatest wax contractor in the world this is impossible) or the fact the police didn't know (the excuse is really dumb). But the creepy vibe is what does that film as the idea is a scary one (just thinking of what everybody had to suffer in the town is enough to make you feel bad).

A little bit too long at almost two hours, the beginning could have been cut by a lot as it didn't made me care for the protagonist anyway and usually it's the point of doing a slow beginning.

Rating :
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:23:13 AM by Jimmy »