Author Topic: The little known movie review depot  (Read 309421 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: The little known movie review depot
« Reply #390 on: April 13, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »
I know it is mainstream and maybe not your thing but by chance have you seen The Last King of Scotland? I would highly recommend that to you.
Surprisingly I have it already. Sadly it didn't impress me too much, it was more about the white doctor than anything else as if people wouldn't be able to see a film about a black personality only :shrug:

Najemikon

« Reply #391 on: April 13, 2012, 10:00:03 PM »
I know it is mainstream and maybe not your thing but by chance have you seen The Last King of Scotland? I would highly recommend that to you.
Surprisingly I have it already. Sadly it didn't impress me too much, it was more about the white doctor than anything else as if people wouldn't be able to see a film about a black personality only :shrug:

I think you misread its intentions. The Last King of Scotland is not directly about Amin, but about how the rest of the world just sat back and watched and you could see the lead, white character as representing the West. As a man, he is weak, takes advantage of his hosts and is easily seduced by a maniac before finally running away like a coward. A metaphor for how the Western governments played the usual, flawed 'wait and see' game. Bit like what's happened with Libya!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 13, 2012, 10:05:45 PM »
The Last King of Scotland is not directly about Amin[...]
Maybe but it isn't the way it was sold :shrug:

Najemikon

« Reply #393 on: April 13, 2012, 10:09:15 PM »
Well, they were always going to sell it on the more obvious aspects and disguise how critical it was. And it's still subtle in the film.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 19, 2012, 10:11:05 AM »
Just watched the Spider-Man trilogy tonight and one thing I can say is... What a mess the last one is :whistle:

OK I know this isn't my usual type of entertainment, but the first was enough of a nice time waster to made me purchase the sequel that I didn't really like. This is mostly due to the fact that Doctor Octopus is lame compare to how great he is in the comic books (at least in the ones from when I was a kid in the seventies)...

But the last one... Why so many bad guys? The old Batman franchise did the same error :whistle:
I mean what's the point if you can develop a good story? I just got a feeling of improvisation and a "I don't care" reaction. Just the Sandman would have been enough to do a good movie. For a moment I was waiting for Doctor Octopus and Bonesaw to came back :-\

Maybe it's just me, but the CGI looked cheaper than in the others two :hmmmm:

Najemikon

« Reply #395 on: April 19, 2012, 09:21:34 PM »
I prefer the first sequel, in fact I think it's one of the best comic book films. I like Doc Octopus too. Awesome realisation. I've said it before, but I do think the first film screwed up the origin. Looks like the pointless remake at least plans to correct that and the web-shooters.

but the third film is terrible. Sam Raimi was forced to include Venom, when he didn't even like the character. So one of Spidey's greatest villains was squandered in a plot that needed two films at least. They should have left Raimi to do his own thing and concentrate on Sandman. Then he wouldn't have ruined Parker too, with that daft turning-bad shite.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 14, 2012, 03:17:24 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: The Illusionist (2006)

Genre: Drama
Director: Neil Burger
Rating: PG-13
Length: 1h49
Video: Full Frame
Audio: English
Subtitles: English and Spanish

Stars:
Edward Norton
Paul Giamatti
Jessica Biel   
Rufus Sewell
Eddie Marsan

Plot:
Unlock the mysteries of the year's most spellbinding film from the producers of Crash and Sideways! Oscar® nominees Paul Giamatti and Edward Norton lead an all-star cast in this "stunning" film (USA Today) that conjures an exhilarating blend of suspense, romance and mind-bending twists. The acclaimed illusionist Eisenheim (Norton) has not only captured the imaginations of all of Vienna, but also the interest of the ambitious Crown Prince Leopold (Rufus Sewell). But when Leopold's new fiancée (Jessica Biel) rekindles a childhood fascination with Eisenheim, the Prince's interest evolves into obsession...and suddenly the city's chief inspector (Giamatti) finds himself investigating a shocking crime. But even as the inspector engages him in a dramatic challenge of wills, Eisenheim prepares for his most impressive illusion yet in this "mesmerizing" ('Entertainment Weekly') and "beautifully acted" (Good Morning America) film that "teases you until the very end!" (The New York Times)!

My Thoughts:
This is a film I got from Kathy last year and she gave me many mainstream ones as she wants me to watch more of them. I didn't have a lot of expectations for this movie, in fact it sounded like a boring Hollywood drama to my ears. Surprisingly the movie succeed at catching my interest... The story is well done and construct (even if some people doesn't seem to get the end), well acted for the most part (Rufus Sewell doing the best job) and the effects aren't overdone (in fact all the tricks are historically accurate).

(click to show/hide)

All I can add is that it was a nice surprise, too bad they aren't all like that as my new movies disliking would be much smaller...

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 14, 2012, 05:03:50 AM »
I really tried to watch Hustle and Flow but I wasn't able too anymore after 40 minutes... For once I felt like I was Pete with his music disliking :laugh:

Seriously Hip-Hop is crap music (and calling that music is giving more respect than this genre deserve), but add that it is supposed to be an inspirational movie and the mix made my head explode. A retarded black pimp gets a wake up call after some kind of religious thingy and start doing mysoginist idiotic hip-hop while he stays a pimp...

When I think a movie making the black people looking like fools like that is done by black peoples my head just spin. Guess some of them like to be stereotyping as mysoginist non educated useless drug waste of ressource :shrug:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 18, 2012, 06:18:59 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: In the Cut (2003)

Genre: Thriller
Director: Jane Campion
Rating: NR
Length: 1h59
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English / French
Subtitles: English / French

Stars:
Meg Ryan
Mark Ruffalo
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Nick Damici
Sharrieff Pugh

Plot:
In the underbelly of lower Manhattan, Frannie Avery (Meg Ryan), a reserved English professor, becomes obsessed after seeing more than she should of an impassioned couple. After the young woman turns up dead, Frannie is questioned by a homicide detective (Mark Ruffalo) who draws her into a liberating but disturbing erotic encounter. As the body count rises, familiar suspects begin to emerge.

My Thoughts:
I had some doubt with this film mostly because of Meg Ryan who was never in a film I care for, but I gave it a chance since Jennifer Jason Leigh is one of the best actresses ever. So did it paid to give this a chance? In a word yes. Certainly a perfect exemple of what an erotic thriller is suppose to be be, way ahead of Basic Instint who is usually see as the reference for God knows what reason since it is a rather tame and boring venture. The story is good enough and well written enough to keep us searching for almost the two hours that runs the film. The acting is perfect and, seriously, Meg Ryan threw me out of my chair in this as she show that she can act and that she can do something else than a naïve romantic lead. As usual Jennifer Jason Leigh by her performance shines by making a small role a big one. Really no one is bad in this.

BTW Kevin Bacon is also in this film in an important uncredited role... wonder if that was hard to listed him in the DVDP database :laugh:  

I guess Kathy knew that it will be something I would like. :thumbup:

Rating :
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:28:33 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 28, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: The Punisher (2004)

Genre: Crime
Director: Jonathan Hensleigh
Rating: R
Length: 2h03
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Subtitles: English / Spanish

Stars:
Thomas Jane
John Travolta
Rebecca Romijn
Will Patton
Laura Harring

Plot:
The Punisher walks through the world we all know, a world darkened by war, crime, cruelty and injustice. He has no superpowers to battle the evil he sees – only his fierce intelligence, his years of combat experience and, above all, his iron determination to avenge those wronged by society's villains.

My Thoughts:
Now this is what I call a good superhero movie. No silly joke, no bad self referencial, no CGI effects and not a kiddie film. Some people would probably argument that it's more a vigilante film, but this is what the Punisher was. For an origin story the movie is sure more interesting than many others superheros first film that tend to be boring. Full of action, great acting, real special effects and a great finale.

Too bad a sequel was never made since Frank Castle is a great character and so few of those movies are made for the adult public.

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 06, 2012, 02:29:23 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: God Bless America (2011)

Genre: Comedy
Director: Bobcat Goldthwait
Rating: R
Length: 1h44
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Subtitles: English / Spanish

Stars:
Joel Murray
Tara Lynne Barr
Melinda Page Hamilton
Mackenzie Brooke Smith
Rich McDonald

Plot:
Frank (Joel Murray) has had enough of the downward spiral of American culture. Divorced, recently fired, and possibly terminally ill, Frank feels he has nothing left to live for. However, instead of taking his own life, he embarks on a killing spree with cohort Roxy (Tara Lynne Barr), who shares his sense of rage and disenfranchisement, and together they embark on a nation-wide assault on our country s dumbest, most irritating celebrities.

My Thoughts:
This one was for me one of the most anticipated release of the year. Normally in those case you are in for a big deception 99.9% of the time, but this time it's the .01% exception. In fact it is better than I expected it to be going from the trailer. This is far more than a story about two characters killing random annoying people (anyway those who think that miss the point by a miles). I can't say too much without revealing too much, so you will have to try it to know.

Joel Murray is perfect as the normal everyday guy who just can't stand it anymore and Tara Lynne Barr is a real discovery for me, seriously she can act wich is a rare occurence for so many young actors these days (who are mostly disposable brainless look a like). Maddie Hasson a newcommer actress is great too in her role.

In five words : best release of the year ;D

Rating :

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 06, 2012, 06:01:17 AM »
God Bless America has been on my Wish List ever since I saw that trailer. I think I will bump it up and purchase it soon.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 06, 2012, 06:07:17 AM »
If only they would have choose something else than that ugly yellow for the DVD cover. The red of the theatrical poster was just fine
I know that some people can be affraid when I gave my seal of approval to a movie considering what I watch, but in this case I'm sure many of you would appreciate this one.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 06, 2012, 06:17:30 AM »
I  just placed my order for God Bless America - I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 06, 2012, 06:24:59 AM »
I'm positive you'll like it too Kathy ;D

Let me know your impressions when it will be watched ;)

BTW Alien on Blu-Ray was awesome to watch, but the last one is always bad (some good idea, but not really well acted or directed.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:26:57 AM by Jimmy »