Author Topic: Dr. Hasslein's Random TV Episode Reviews  (Read 1438 times)

Dr. Hasslein

Dr. Hasslein's Random TV Episode Reviews
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:23:03 AM »
Mother and Son

Season 3, Episode 1
- Christmas Drinks
It's Christmas Eve and Arthur is planning a Christmas party for his friends. But the party is over before it's even begun when his mother puts a sign outside informing his guests that it's has been canceled due to a death in the family.

Introduction

For those of you out there who are not familiar with this show, Mother and Son is about a 40 something divorced man named Arthur. Who is living at home taking care of his elderly mother Maggie.
Maggie makes Arthur's life as difficult as possible at every opportunity, often on purpose. Arthur is often left looking like the bad guy in the many hilarious situations. Mother and Son is considered by many as one of the greatest shows every produced in Australia. It ran form 1984-1994 with a total of six seasons. It's stars legendary actor and comedian Garry McDonald and the late great Ruth Gracknell.

My Thoughts
This is one of my favourite episodes, I've watched it every Christmas since 1996. The jokes are hilarious and well timed.
Arthur's brother Robert and his wife Liz make an appearance, but only to waesel their way out of spending time with Maggie as they often.
The episode ends in it's usual fashion of Arthur left looking like the mean, selfish son and Maggie getting her own way as she often does.

Memorable Quote:
Liz:
Has it ever occurred to you that the reason we don't come here is you? Your constant whining and complaining, I get a head ache every time I come here.
Arthur: Well that's only two head aches a year!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:21:45 AM by Dr. Hasslein »

Dr. Hasslein

Re: Dr. Hasslein's Random TV Episode Reviews
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 07:21:08 AM »
Mr. Bean

Episode 7
- Merry Christmas Mr. Bean
Mr. Bean is out doing some last minute Christmas shopping in his own unique and destructive way.
Then shares a very unusual and eventful Christmas Dinner with his girlfriend.

My Thoughts
I remember watching this for the very first time at my grandparent’s house on Christmas Eve. Talk about laugh out loud comedy, I was in heaven.
Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean is pure genius. From his hilarious butchery of a department store nativity scene, to throwing his Christmas turkey carelessly into boot of his car he clearly has no limits. This is a great episode of a truly one of a kind series.

Critter

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:24:24 AM »
Ah Mr Bean, this used to be my High Schools maths teachers go-to show whenever we were having a slow day. She would put it on and the whole class would watch Mr Bean, good times.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 07:48:33 AM »
When I was in grade six we went on a school trip to Sovereign Hill and on the bus trip up and back we watched Mother and Son and Mr. Bean, those were great times back then.