Author Topic: Recommendations Wanted For Blu-ray Player & Titles & HDTV  (Read 14134 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations Wanted For Blu-ray Player & Titles & HDTV
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2010, 05:32:04 AM »
But wouldn't 100Hz and 24fps not oppose themselves a little bit? Normally TVs nowadays use 25fps...? If 24fps, then I would guess a 120Hz TV would be better?

I remember rooting for a 24Hz TV myself at the time (almost 3 years ago now) and eventually didn't choose it because the additional costs didn't seem quite worth it to me.

Now I wonder what TVs in the US use today. I understand that the origins of PAL and NTSC are based in the localities' electrical system and what frequency those would use. Have LCD Tvs no AC anymore, or at least not with a frequency based on the electrical system?

Rogmeister

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2010, 07:49:43 AM »
I think I'm getting more confused by the day now...maybe I'll send my PS3 and Blu-rays back and just buy myself a refurbished Betamax!  :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2010, 10:46:55 AM »
I think I'm getting more confused by the day now...maybe I'll send my PS3 and Blu-rays back and just buy myself a refurbished Betamax!  :laugh:
NOOOOOooooooo.

Rogmeister

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2010, 10:54:39 AM »
Well, my late friend Norman would be proud of me...he never accepted the VHS and always preferred the Betamax.   ::)  Actually, I have decided I will just get the 60 Hz version.  I think that one is fine for me based on what I've read and checking the two versions out in person.  I guess I don't have an expert's eye in that regard.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2010, 10:59:38 AM »
 :thumbup:

I have a "regular" Hz version myself (50 or 60) and am quite happy with that myself.

Najemikon

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2010, 06:07:01 PM »
So am I.  :thumbup:

Achim, what that video stresses is the difference between framerate and frequency. 24fps is one thing and a TVs capability to do that is not tied to frequency. It's a major benefit in any case. The higher the frequency, the less flicker, basically. I liked what they said that it goes back to the rules of projection where each frame was flashed up several times to compensate for the flicker. Essentially, think of frequency relating to the number of times it is capable of flashing an individual frame. 24fps goes into 60Hz twice... four times into 120Hz. So the image flicker is reduced by that amount and the image should not be affected by that "cadence" stuff...  :headscratch: :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2010, 05:38:52 AM »
24fps goes into 60Hz twice... four times into 120Hz. So the image flicker is reduced by that amount and the image should not be affected by that "cadence" stuff...  :headscratch: :laugh:
???

24 fps goes into 60Hz with some leftover and it fits into 120Hz 5 times....?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2010, 06:28:42 AM »
I am thoroughly confused by all your babbling about cadence and Mmhz and whatever.

All I know is I'm happy with my tv..things look good on it..I haven't noticed any of the issues some have had with HDTVs looking off in some way.
Blu-rays are gorgeous.

Rogmeister

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2010, 09:33:09 PM »
You sound a bit like my brother...he told me I was worrying about research too much.  "Just buy the friggin' thing, hook it up and forget about it!"  He said when he bought his TV (a large-screen rear-projection set) no one would even answer any of his questions because they were too busy.

But to make a long story short (too late!), I finally bought my TV today!!!  :yahoo:  I actually wound up buying the set I originally first settled on...a Sony Bravia 40-inch 400 series LCD set.  It's a "mere" 60 Hz in refreshing, too...for what that's worth.  I haven't hooked it up yet...it's still in it's box.  I have to move some stuff around and my arms are still a bit sore from carrying it around and inside.  But I expect to hook it up later this afternoon.   :tv:

Najemikon

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2010, 09:42:39 PM »
 :clap:

You're quite right as well. I always relate the story of my first sound system, an all in one affair. I researched all the mid-range offers (£300 ish) and decided on the best value one, with a couple of backup models. Indeed they hadn't got my first choice, so I went for my second. But my memory eluded me! I picked the wrong one. :slaphead:

When I got it home and double-checked the review sites, the one I got was generally considered a slight disappointment and didn't even feature in the top ten, never mind top three. :bag:

But this "disappointing" sound system still felt like it could collapse my house if I pushed the volume up. I played War of the Worlds first. Awesome doesn't start to cover it. And later Saving Private Ryan was astonishing.

Bollocks to reviews. They mean naff all. You're buying a technology and they judge on pedantic points that home users will rarely experience.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2010, 10:31:58 PM »
 :yahoo:
I hope you like your new tv.  And you have a Blu-ray or two already right?  Searchers was it? So once you get it hooked up, you'll have something to watch. :)

I didn't do much research when I got my set.  I knew my mom and step dad were happy with their Vizio...the price was good..and it was the only 32 inch I could find with 1080...I decided if I was getting a new one, I wanted the full HD.  That is all I really researched.

Rogmeister

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2010, 11:49:55 PM »
Yes, I have The Searchers on Blu-ray.  I also have the western mini-series Lonesome Dove in that format.  I just moved the old TV from the living room into the computer room here.  That about killed me.  I'm not a well man, you know.  I'm taking a break before unpacking the new TV.

Najemikon

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2010, 11:53:39 PM »
You take it easy, Rog. No-one around to give you a hand? Moving tellys around is never fun...

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2010, 11:59:31 PM »
Please take it easy Roger - the TV can wait until you get help.

Rogmeister

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2010, 12:27:12 AM »
I guess I didn't think it would be that heavy...I had forgotten my late friend Norman had originally helped me carry it in.  Luckily, the new TV won't be nearly as heavy...