Author Topic: Recommendations Wanted For Blu-ray Player & Titles & HDTV  (Read 13918 times)

Rogmeister

Re: Recommendations Wanted For Blu-ray Player & Titles & HDTV
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 05:40:47 PM »
There may have been a game with the PS3 at Wal-Mart but I'm not getting that version.  I ordered mine through Amazon and I don't think a game comes with that one.  I can't remember the last time I got a system and it actually came with a game...okay, yes I can now that I think of it.  It was the original Xbox.  It came with Amped, a snowboarding game.  I will wait probably until after Christmas to get myself any games...that way my family can maybe get me one or two games.  Or I could break down and get one.  The two games I can say I probably definitely want pretty soon are Batman: Dark Arkham and Red Dead Redemption, both of which I've heard good things about.

Najemikon

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 09:22:16 PM »
All the Pixar movies look wonderful on Blu-Ray. I just got Toy Story 3 as well and it is wonderful!

I've said it before, Rog, and it's worth repeating. In my opinion, Blu-Ray looks best with proper photography rather than CGI. Animation like Pixar, etc, is a different thing, so I'm talking strictly live action. For instance, Iron Man looked fantastic, but I much prefer the depth in The Searchers. Zulu is one of the absolute best transfers I have ever seen. Absolutely gorgeous.

Critter

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 09:50:24 PM »
I find that some live-action films sometimes look 'too' sharp in blu-ray and that I prefer them on normal DVD. Where as every single computer animated film I have seen on blu-ray is just outstanding, which is probably why I think it works better as a medium on blu. There have been a couple of good live-action ones I have watched, but overall I will probably be utilizing my blu-ray more for the 3D animated films.

Najemikon

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 10:01:27 PM »
Hmmm... you've made a couple of comments, Sophie, that make me really wonder if your set-up is quite right. My TV has presets and one is for animation. When I remember to use it, it looks fantastic, for animation, but if I leave it on for live action... it's too sharp and too 'boosted'. Try seeing if you have any pre-sets and turn them off.

Blu-Ray shouldn't look like it has been enhanced in any way. It is simply very high quality, offering depth to detail and colour. Too sharp is wrong.  :shrug:

Critter

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 10:06:11 PM »
Well my copy of Kick-Ass as you know was definitely too sharp. I did try to play around with settings on the TV but I couldn't really find any useful ones. I am still yet to try it on our other TV though which could have a different effect.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 11:00:41 PM »
I've noticed that a lot the big retailers promote their new televisions by playing Pixar movies. I think it's a bit of a con, because Pixar movie are almost guaranteed to look amazing regardless on the TV.

Najemikon

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 12:50:31 AM »
I don't think it's a con in so far as any form of advertising is or isn't. Whatever they choose to display is going to be an easy pull and some punters are unavoidably going to buy the image and not the technology.

UK stores rarely show TVs at their best due to multi channel demo connections rather than single feeds. Pixar footage often bridges the gap.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2010, 02:34:48 AM »
I don't think it's a con in so far as any form of advertising is or isn't. Whatever they choose to display is going to be an easy pull and some punters are unavoidably going to buy the image and not the technology.

UK stores rarely show TVs at their best due to multi channel demo connections rather than single feeds. Pixar footage often bridges the gap.

Ok maybe it isn't a con, but it's deceptive. I hate the multi channel demos; some stores do it so badly they're just screwing themselves.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2010, 04:59:27 AM »
Blu-ray reommendations, forgot that earlier:

How the West Was Won looks good and I very much enjoyed the Smilebox feature.

The Adventures of Robin Hood; so just why is it that the classics look so awesome on Blu, when many newer ones look like garbage :hmmmm:

The Wizard of Oz, assuming you like the film.

King Kong (1933)

The Dark Knight or Inception

Najemikon

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2010, 03:44:24 PM »
The Adventures of Robin Hood; so just why is it that the classics look so awesome on Blu, when many newer ones look like garbage :hmmmm:

I've been wondering that myself. I wonder if the lazier cinematographers and effects studios realise that Blu-Ray reveals the joins more? These days they're so willing to churn out even big budget movies as quickly as possible. Who cares if it needed another three days to render the image? Whose going to notice? And no-one gives a crap about depth of field; it's always blurry on DVD anyway.

Nowhere to hide now. So the older stuff benefits from classic high standard technicians who had a pride in their work even if the film itself was supposed to be typical genre fare.

Rogmeister

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2010, 06:19:22 PM »
I read a review of the Blu-ray Lonesome Dove at another site...they say it looks much better and they reformatted it to widescreen.  I was wondering if the Rio Bravo Blu-Ray is worth getting?  I noticed they're bringing out True Grit on Blu-ray next month...coincidence since there's a new True Grit movie coming out?  Me doesn't think so!  :2cents:

Najemikon

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »
I'm sure I read before about Rio Bravo and decided it wasn't worth the upgrade. But Google for a review and someone like Highdefdigest or Beaver will pop up.

Rogmeister

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2010, 07:55:34 PM »
Thanks, Jon.  That's how I found the review for Lonesome Dove (which is from a site called DVD Talk).

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2010, 06:09:53 AM »
My mom bought a Blu-ray yesterday.  First one she's actually bought.

Bridge on the River Kwai - can't remember how to spell that.   :laugh:
Anyway..from the little I saw when they watching it, it looks really good on Blu.

Rogmeister

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2010, 04:47:58 PM »
I think you spelled it right...but now you're putting doubt into my own damaged mind!  :stars:

I went to Amazon yesterday and put several blu-ray titles and PS3 games (since my blu-ray player will be a PS3 console) I want into my wish list.  Then, after Christmas, any I don't get for Christmas as gifts I can easily go and order myself.  :clap: