Author Topic: Over-Indulging On Thanksgiving  (Read 5095 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Over-Indulging On Thanksgiving
« on: November 16, 2010, 02:41:58 PM »
Over-Indulging On Thanksgiving
Over-indulging on Thanksgiving is a nation-wide event every year here in the USA. So I figured why not over-indulge on Thanksgiving entertainment this year as well. I am planning a week long (Thurs. - Thurs.) Thanksgiving marathon.... to attempt to see if I can watch every Thanksgiving episode of any of the TV Series I own on DVD... as well as watch any Thanksgiving episodes that air on TV (of the shows I Watch) within the week (Nov.  18th - 25th). So far looking through my collection I came up with...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer :
* Pangs

Commander in Chief:
* The Mom Who Came to Dinner

Dharma & Greg:
* The First Thanksgiving

Everybody Loves Raymond:
* Turkey or Fish
* No Fat
* No Thanks

Friends:
* The One Where Underdog Gets Away
* The One With the List
* The One With the Football
* The One With Chandler in the Box
* The One With All the Thanksgivings
* The One Where Ross Got High
* The One Where Chandler Doesn't Like Dogs
* The One With the Rumor
* The One With Rachel's Other Sister
* The One With the Late Thanksgiving

Full House:
* The Miracle of Thanksgiving

Grey's Anatomy:
* Thanks for the Memories

How I Met Your Mother:
* Belly Full of Turkey

The Incredible Hulk:
* Homecoming

The Jeff Foxworthy Show:
* Thanksgiving

Party of Five:
* Thanksgiving

Picket Fences:
* Thanksgiving

Reba:
* Thanksgiving
* Invasion

Roseanne:
* Thanksgiving '91

Sabrina: The Teenage Witch:
* Love Means Having to Say Your Sorry

Spin City:
* The Competition

Sports Night:
* Thespis

Too Close for Comfort:
  * Rafkin's Bum

Now I don't know if I will actually make it and watch everything I own within the one week... but I think it will be a fun challenge. I may have some more Thanksgiving episodes as well... I will be searching on the net about any more I may have missed... as well as asked on another forum. If there is any more I missed I will add them to the list as I find out about them.... still attempting to watch them all within the week.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:38:54 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Over-Indulging On Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:42:13 PM »
You don't have the season of How I Met Your Mother that has Slapsgiving?  Or Slapsgiving II or whatever they called it when the slap bet came up again.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:53:50 PM »
Nope... only been able to get season 1 so far.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 11:57:51 PM »
Wow..I have more seasons of a series than you..never thought that would happen. ;)

Ok..I was thinking you had more of them.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 12:03:12 AM »
I am wondering if I should just go down the line and watch them in order from Buffy to Too Close for Comfort... or jump around.

I am thinking jumping around would be better... especially just in case I find more episodes I need to watch. I would probably end up having to watch them out of order anyway if that happens.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 12:08:32 AM »
You should watch whatever strikes your fancy - it seems like it would be more fun that way.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 12:14:28 AM »
I just need to make sure I watch all the hour long shows before Thanksgiving Day. Since I do all the cooking in the house... I will be much to busy to watch more then a couple half hour shows on Thanksgiving Day.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »
Well... I start this marathon today. To make it and watch all the episodes I have on DVD within the week... I must watch between 4 and 5 episodes each day. Not impossible... but at the same time challenging.  Especially considering I want to add in shows that I record in the evenings from TV.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 04:11:39 PM »
If it wasn't challenging, where would the fun be? Go for it!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »
Grey's Anatomy: The Complete Second Season
Experience the complete second season of TV's most compelling show in an expansive 27-episode DVD set. Witness every minute of the thrilling drama that has become a television event for fans and critics alike. "Week after week, the entire show is mcdreamy," raves USA Today.

Life gets even more intense for the doctors and interns of Seattle Grace Hospital in year two as Meredith and Derek's relationship goes from odd to downright insane with the arrival of Derek's wife, and Alex lets his Izzie obsession out of the bag. You "can't stop watching," says TV Guide.

Experience Grey's Anatomy: Season 2 — Uncut with over five hours of never-before-seen bonus features, including four extended episodes with scenes too steamy for TV, behind-the-scenes interviews and so much more.

Episode Watched:
Thanks for the Memories
Thanksgiving arrives at Seattle Grace, as George endures another year of O'Malley family tradition while Meredith tends to a coma patient awake after 16 years.

My Thoughts:
This is a fun episode. Not surprisingly most the interns ends back at the hospital... but for me the most entertaining reason is George. He is out hunting turkey with his father and two brothers... and his brother accidentally shoots their father in the ass. But the side story with Izzy and Dr. Burke is fun as well... him helping her put together a Thanksgiving dinner. I love this series... so it is a good start to this marathon... even though it does make me want to watch more episodes!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 07:17:15 PM »
Commander in Chief: Part One
Geena Davis lights up the screen as President Mackenzie Allen, earning a Golden Globe® award for Best Actress in the show's inaugural season. Experience the first ten thrilling episodes of the captivating drama, starring Davis, Emmy® Award winner Donald Sutherland and an acclaimed cast.

When the President of the United States dies in office, his independent Vice President ventures into territory no woman has ever entered before. Now, the nation's first female Commander In Chief must balance the pressures of running the country and the responsibility of raising a family - while facing a sustained torrent of underhanded attacks from the Speaker Of The House (Sutherland). It's an exhilarating blend of suspense and drama that O, The Oprah Magazine calls, "realistic and riveting!"

Episode Watched:
The Mom Who Came to Dinner
It's Thanksgiving at the White House, and Mackenzie's mom, Kate Allen, comes to spend the holiday. Mac, in an effort to rise above the political fray, invites Nathan Templeton and his wife to join them for dinner... which Kate insists on cooking herself, bucking protocol. Meanwhile, when an independent commission proposes the closing of a major naval base in Mac's home state of Connecticut - which would be devastating to the local economy - Rod brings in Richard "Dickie" McDonald, a savvy media consultant, to help with her image and lagging poll numbers. And in the midst of all this, Mac weighs the fate of a woman on death row.

My Thoughts:
This is a show that while I found a little on the slow side... I got addicted to in it's short run. I always thought Geena Davis pulled off the first female president rather well. I did find this is a hard show to watch in this type of a marathon... as I couldn't remember all the stuff that came before it... and it is a very serialized series. You really know what happened before it to keep up. But still enjoyable all the same.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 10:42:48 AM »
I didn't do too good yesterday... hopefully I can do better today.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 04:11:15 PM »
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Fourth Season
Buffy begins college feeling completely overwhelmed. But once the monsters show up, it's just like old times. Then she starts dating Riley, a handsome commando battling the same monsters. He's part of a secret organization called The Initiative and Buffy is all too happy to join the team. But she soon suspects The Initiative may be more dangerous than the monsters they are supposed to be battling...

Episode Watched:
PANGS
Warned that Buffy may be in great danger, Angel returns to Sunnydale just as the spirit of a Chumash warrior rises to avenge the death of his people.

My Thoughts:
This is an episode that I always found to be a lot of fun. They mixed in a lot of comedy in this episode. I also like the fact that this episode brings back Angel. One thing that always bugged me about this episode though... and this is a minor thing... the final shot of the episode where everyone looks over at a shocked Buffy... Spike has the most goofiest look on his face.... and it always draws my attention... and I have to just shake my head with disappointment in that last shot.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 05:09:45 PM »
Picket Fences: Season One
Eccentricity defines daily life in Rome, Wisconsin, where the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz is murdered, a student brings a severed hand to school for show-and-tell, and a woman runs over her husband with a steamroller pleading "not guilty by reason of menopause". Sheriff Jimmy Brock has seen it all. Indeed, behind the tidy picket fences of this quirky little town lie all the same problems and prejudices found in the big city, except in a small town everyone seems to know everyone else's business -- or thinks they do!

My Thoughts:
I am going to say the same thing about this show as I did the first time I watched it. It is a very addicting show... very entertaining... but it is also very preachy! All the same... I would still like to see the remainder sets released. This episode in particular I am not all that happy with. It is an alright episode... but too much fighting... to much drama for a holiday episode.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 07:36:05 PM »
The Incredible Hulk: Season 3
Primetime Emmy® Award Nominee Bill Bixby and the iconic Lou Ferrigno return as The Incredible Hulk in The Complete Third  Season of the action-packed , unforgettable Television Series! Rejoin heroic scientist David Banner (Bixby) as he continues his quest to find a cure that will stop his transformations into the enraged Hulk (Ferrigno). This 5-disc set includes all 23 exciting episodes and all-new bonus content featuring show creator Kenneth Johnson. Joining The Hulk on his mysterious journeys are impressive guest stars, including Robert Davi (Profiler). Don't make him angry—take home Season Three today!

Episode Watched:
HOMECOMING
When he learns that his father may lose his land, David develops a biological weapon to fight a crop-destroying plague.

My Thoughts:
Watching this one not to long ago for my The Incredible Hulk Marathon thread (I really need to get back to that one!)... I couldn't remember this being a Thanksgiving episode. But after watching it again... I realized it was mentioned in several parts of the story... including David's family inviting Mr. McGee to stay for Thanksgiving dinner at the end... giving David time to get as far away as possible without having to look over his shoulder the whole way. It really is a good episode. I like that he let his father and sister know he is still alive and out there. And that they got to see first hand why he is on the run.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Pete