Author Topic: What is the sense?... Episodes out of order on DVD  (Read 1549 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
What is the sense?... Episodes out of order on DVD
« on: November 07, 2010, 05:08:29 PM »
Can someone explain to me the sense in putting episodes out of order when releasing the DVD? Just yesterday I got Tremors: The Series on DVD... I was looking for some images to use for an EPG I want to make for it... and it quickly came clear that the episodes are out of order on the DVD release.

Here is the order they are on the DVD numbered with their real numbers...

1. Feeding Frenzy
13. Shriek and Destroy
4. Blast from the Past
6. Hit and Run
8. Project 4-12
2. Ghost Dance
3. Night of the Shriekers
7. A Little Paranoia Among Friends
5. Flora or Fauna
9. Graboid Rights
12. Water Hazard
10. The Sounds of Silence
11. The Keys

I mean come on... that is all over the map! I sure hope that there is no episode to episode storyline that needs to be followed!
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What is the sense?... Episodes out of order on DVD
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 06:24:17 PM »
Sometimes they do it for time constraint issues. If they can put the set together by moving episodes around to fit the special features and keep the disc count down, they'll do it.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 06:26:55 PM »
Or it's the way the show was supposed to be seen on TV but the network doesn't follow it (because of bad rating or because it's FOX) :shrug:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 06:29:37 PM »
Sometimes they do it for time constraint issues. If they can put the set together by moving episodes around to fit the special features and keep the disc count down, they'll do it.

There is no special features in this set... the episodes would have fit on the same number of disc despite the order.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 06:30:35 PM »
Or it's the way the show was supposed to be seen on TV but the network doesn't follow it (because of bad rating or because it's FOX) :shrug:

It has been years since I seen this series... so who knows. But for what it is worth... The series is a Sci-Fi Channel series.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 06:30:40 PM »
It may not be necessarily wrong.

To give two examples:

Farscape: Season 1. The episodes on DVD are in the same order as they were originally aired. The problem is, they don't make much sense in this order. So you constantly have to swap discs if you wish to watch it in an actual order.

Order on DVD:

4 (Throne for a Loss)
2 (I, E.T.)

Crichton is far to accustomed to all of the crazyness in Throne for a Loss and is then thrown back to WTH?! mode in I, E.T..

Leverage: Season 1. The episodes are in a different order than they were originally aired. And it works much better, because it didn't make much sense.

Order on DVD:

3 (The Two-Horse Job)

Again the episode The Two-Horse Job all these characters are already far to familiar with each other and then lose it again.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:19:39 PM »
Sometimes they put the episodes in production order on the DVD instead of original airdate, even if it doesn't make sense. Though sometimes it makes more sense in production order. For example Wonderfalls is released on DVD in production order, which is the proper order. I remember when it was first aired, the second episode was shown as the fourth episode, after which the series was cancelled.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 03:22:01 PM »
After some more research I found that the DVDs are in the correct order. It was the Sci-Fi Channel that decided to mix things up for whatever unknown reason. From what I was reading Sci-Fi didn't care too much for this series... and just threw it on basically however... and canceled it after 13 episodes were produced.
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:21:10 PM »
Although :p this does happen.

The Mortal Kombat Defenders of the Realm animated TV series is available on over 3 DVDs....

12 of 13 episodes are on these episodes (4 on each) they are in a random order.... and the episode that is missing is like episode 8 :/ 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 09:51:26 AM »
FOX did that to Firefly too.  At least with a few episodes...and some where never aired. 

Networks make stupid decisions at times.