Author Topic: Bionic Woman Episode Reviews  (Read 15031 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Bionic Woman Episode Reviews
« on: October 24, 2010, 01:11:13 AM »

The Bionic Woman is an American television series which spun off from The Six Million Dollar Man. It stars Lindsay Wagner as Jaime Sommers, a tennis professional who was nearly killed in a skydiving accident, and was rebuilt by Oscar Goldman (Richard Anderson) and Dr. Rudy Wells (Martin E. Brooks), who had also rebuilt The Six Million Dollar Man. As the result of her surgical implantation, Jaime Sommers had amplified hearing in her right ear, a greatly strengthened right arm, and enhanced legs, enabling her to run faster than a speeding car.

Stars:
Lindsay Wagner as Jaime Summers
Richard Anderson as Oscar Goldman
Martin E. Brooks as Dr. Rudy Wells

My Thoughts:
Now that I am to the point where I believe I can easily get my goal in my horror marathon... I don't feel bad about watching some of my non-horror stuff. And this is a series I have been waiting a very long time to see again.. so I thought I would jump right in on the season 1 set. Plus I hope to add to this thread as the other two seasons are HOPEFULLY released.

This show... and the Six Million Dollar Man are shows I grew up watching. So there is a whole lot of nostalgic value here for me. I am also hoping that I will be able to share the love for this series with Brittany. I will be starting this series with the first appearances of The Bionic Woman... which was on 4 episodes of The Six Million Dollar Man.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Bionic Woman Episode Reviews
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 01:13:53 AM »
The Bionic Woman: Season 1
She can run faster than 60 mph, bend massive steel bars, jump from insane heights, and hear sounds you can only imagine. She's no ordinary school teacher...she's The Bionic Woman. Relive the excitement of this iconic TV series starring Primetime Emmy® Award winner* Lindsay Wagner as Jaime Sommers, a woman leading the ultimate double life. After her unforgettable appearances on The Six Million Dollar Man as Colonel Steve Austin's (Lee Majors) true love, Jaime's story begins anew in these entertaining Season 1 episodes as she learns to deal with her new bionic abilities, becomes a top-secret agent for the Office of Scientific investigations, and deals with her changed relationship with Steve. Now available in a four-disc set that includes five original episodes featured in The Six Million Dollar Man and a never-before-seen Bionics Beginnings featurette. The Bionic Woman: Season 1 promises nonstop action, excitement, and adventure with the world's first female cyborg.

Six Million Dollar Man Episodes:
1. Bionic Woman
2. Bionic Woman, Part 2
3. The Return of the Bionic Woman
4. The Return of the Bionic Woman, Part 2

Bionic Woman Episodes:
1. Welcome Home, Jaime
2. Welcome Home, Jaime, Part 2
3. Angel of Mercy
4. A Thing of the Past
5. Claws
6. The Deadly Missiles
7. Bionic Beauty
8. Jaime's Mother
9. Winning is Everything
10. Canyon of Death
11. Fly Jaime
12. The Jailing of Jaime
13. Mirror Image
14. The Ghost Hunter
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 02:31:13 AM »
Bionic Woman: Season 1

Original Airdate: March 16, 1975

The original second season The Six Million Dollar Man episode where Jaime Sommers becomes the Bionic Woman.

My Thoughts:
Wow... did I enjoy watching this first episode of the set. While watching this episode I actually felt like a kid sitting in front of the TV again. I was worried on how well this show would hold up for me... but I shouldn't have been. It held up great. I must say while Steve and Jaime was getting to know each other again (they were childhood sweethearts)... and they went to one of their favorite spots by the lake. They kept getting disturbed by kids playing football... they kept getting hit by the football. And how Steve took care of that little problem definitely gave me a chuckle.

I don't know how this would be to a first time viewer today... but to an old fan it is so much fun seeing the show again. Part of me really wants to start the next episode... and see the ending of this 2-part story. But another part of me wants to save it for sometime tomorrow. We will just have to see which side wins out.

My Rating:

Screen Caps:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:01:20 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 05:00:00 AM »
Amazing! You find time for this during the horror marathon :o

Are you trying to beat your goal by just few, so you can have a chance next your to beat it again? :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 01:29:34 PM »
 :laugh: Of course! I am not an idiot you know!  :tease:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 10:24:08 PM »

Original Airdate: March 23, 1975

Jaime Sommers is sent on her first assignment for the OSI in this second season The Six Million Dollar Man episode.

My Thoughts:
What a great... not to mention sad conclusion to the storyline. As I have said... it has been many, MANY years since I seen this show. And I because of that I pretty much forget all that happens in the series storyline wise. At the end of this episode it showed that Jaime Sommers died from her body rejecting the bionics. We all know that this is turned around somehow since she ended up with her own series. But I forget how they explain this away to bring her back. Which I will have to hurry and watch the next one so I can find out. Either way... an excellent but sad episode.

My Rating:

Screen Caps:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:01:01 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 12:12:28 AM »

Original Airdate: September 14, 1975

Steve Austin learns that Jaime Sommers is still alive after seeing her die from a Bionic rejection. However, Jaime has suffered brain damage and no longer remembers anything about her past life, including Steve.

My Thoughts:
Another outstanding episode! Their explanation for bringing her back was done fairly well. Not great... but acceptable. I just can't get over how Steve is handling it all. First they try to keep it from him that she is still alive. Then he finds out she has no memory of him. Then he finds out she has developed feelings for one of the doctors. And yet he just takes it like... we will see what happens. If it was me and the woman I loved... I would be going completely nuts! I have to admit though... I did get a kick out of the part where Jaime wanted to play hooky from her workouts and just wanted to play... so she started a bionic pillow fight with Steve. That just made me laugh.  :laugh:

My Rating:

Screen Caps:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:00:44 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 02:00:07 AM »

Original Airdate: September 21, 1975

In an attempt to restore Jaime Sommers's memory, Steve Austin takes the recuperating Jaime to their hometown of Ojai, California. However, facing her past results in violent headaches and confusing flashbacks.

My Thoughts:
More of the same for the second part of this one. I definitely enjoyed it. Still feels like Steve's reaction to the whole thing isn't really realist. Admirable... yes... but just not realistic. You can tell Jaime believes there was something between her and Steve before at this point... but seems like she isn't really ready to face it.

My Rating:

Screen Caps:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:00:24 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 03:11:43 AM »

Original Airdate: January 14, 1976

Oscar Goldman arranges a job for Jaime as a school teacher, but she also insists on taking on missions for OSI.

My Thoughts:
Ok... this is an odd situation. The packaging and menu claims that this is an episode of The Six Million Dollar Man... but the opening sequence and everything I read on the web says it is the very first episode of The Bionic Woman. I decided to trust the opening credits and all I read on the web over the  packaging an menu of the DVD release. Which essentially means there is only 4 episodes of The Six Million Dollar Man in the set instead of the advertised 5. But we don't loose any entertainment value as it also means we gain an episode in The Bionic Woman episode list.

I really liked this episode a lot. I especially enjoyed how Jaime handled becoming a teacher to a class of kids that are a bit on the rough and rowdy side. As many years as it been... I remembered well the way she cleaned out the apartment above the barn that she is living in with her bionics. The minute she opened those big double windows I thought to myself... here it comes. I also liked that she finally knows that her and Steve were engaged. That felt like to me it corrected a wrong in the last couple of episodes.

My Rating:

Screen Caps:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:00:04 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 11:13:03 PM »

Original Airdate: January 21, 1976

Oscar arranges a "falling out" with Jaime so that she can go undercover in businessman Carlton Harris's shady organization and determine whether he is trading illegal government secrets.

My Thoughts:
Great conclusion to the storyline. Really enjoyed every minute of it. Lots of time showing Jaime using her bionics. Jaime has to go to multiple places to steal sensitive government documents and items within the one evening to maintain her cover. so between that and bringing Carlton Harris to justice she is using her bionics in most the scenes of this episode. Which is of course fun to watch. And on her personal life... her students is getting to know and like her already. Which seems to me to be a little fast considering this is only the second episode... and they were supposed to be troubled students.

My Rating:

Screen Caps:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:59:43 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 01:12:42 AM »

Original Airdate: January 28, 1976

When Jaime is sent to Costa Brava with ace helicopter pilot Jack Starkey to rescue the US ambassador and his family, the mission becomes infinitely more complicated when the ambassador's wife is trapped in a collapsed building

My Thoughts:
Another excellent episode. This one has Andy Griffith guest starring as Jack Starkey (helicopter pilot helping Jaime). I really liked how they did his character... throughout the episode he seemed like a great guy... but at the same time a bit sexiest (at least by today's standards) and not believing a woman should be out there. I liked how they always had him running at the mouth and how every time Jaime needed to use her bionics she somehow worked it out to give him the credit. But when there was no more hiding her bionics it went from running his mouth to yes Mame.  :laugh:

My Rating:

Screen Caps:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:59:26 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 11:37:14 PM »

Original Airdate: February 18, 1976

Jaime is the only one that can help an old friend and bus driver when thugs discover that he has been hiding out in Ojai since witnessing a murder years ago. Lee Majors co-stars.

My Thoughts:
As many times as this has happened to me I just can never get over it. This is an episode (the show even) that I have not seen in many years... but yet for some reason this episode really stuck in my mind. I remembered so much of it... that it almost felt like I have recently seen it.

This one is a very good episode. Though I don't know why the overview made a point out of telling us that Lee Majors co-stars in this one... as he was only in 2 very short scenes in the entire episode. I must say I got a kick out of the picnic scene with Jaime's class... where Jaime was playing a little baseball and forgot her own strength and hit the ball literally out of the park.

My Rating:

Screen Caps:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:59:06 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 12:32:56 AM »

Original Airdate: February 25, 1976

Fur is sure to fly when Jaime protects a lion and the other creatures of a wild animal ranch from ranchers out for blood.

My Thoughts:
This one I also somewhat remembered... not as much as the last one... but there was some scenes I remembered quite well. I noticed a familiar looking face in this episode... and then I saw the name in the credits... Tippi Hendren. Who I (of course) know from The Birds. It was pretty cool seeing the all the different animals in this one. Definitely enjoyed this one as well.

My Rating:

Screen Caps:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:58:48 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 10:19:24 PM »

Original Airdate: March 3, 1976

Jaime is forced to investigate her friend, J.T. Connors, after a missile is launched from his property at the very moment the US missile warning system breaks down.  Lee Majors co-stars.

My Thoughts:
Once again... I enjoyed this episode. At least this time I see the sense in stating that Lee Majors is in this episode in the overview. As he is in a good amount of this one. Though he barely used his bionics at all in this episode. This one wasn't an episode that stuck in my mind... there was extremely little (if anything) that looked familiar to me so was like watching it again for the first time. So that was a plus.

My Rating:

Screen Caps:

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 12:06:22 AM »

Original Airdate: March 17, 1976

Beauty and brawn is on display when Jaime enters a Miss United States pageant in order to infiltrate a nefarious espionage plan.

My Thoughts:
They have to do it with every series that involves a female hero... have her as a plant in a beauty contest. And this show is no different. But I must ask... why did they have to make her talent singing? And if that isn't bad enough... they made us listen to her sing it not once... but twice. Other then that it is a very good episode.

My Rating:

Screen Caps:

Pete