Author Topic: Ghibli Blu's  (Read 83313 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ghibli Blu's
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 07:38:07 PM »
'Grave of the Fireflies' is still on www.hmv.co.uk for 12 Nov. Someone at a Dutch site suggested it could have become a HMV 'only' release for the time being. Of course the other option is that HMV is just slow to remove the pulled title. No clue what is truth. No sign in the online shops yet for the 5 Dec. releases you mentioned.

I think that HMV just haven't pulled the tltle as they usually like to highlight their exclusives. Someone on Blu-ray.com emailed StudioCanal and they said Grave of the Fireflies wasn't on their release schedule for this year link. The Dec 5th releases are for the next titles in Japan, the rest of the world should follow a few months or more later. Generally UK has released them about 4 months after Japan and then US a few months after that.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2013, 08:42:19 PM »
Minor update in that the blu-ray of Kiki's Delivery Service has a UK release date of 27th May 2013. No listing still for Grave of the Fireflies nor Only Yesterday on blu-ray.
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 05:21:31 AM »
Grave of the Fireflies has been released on Blu-ray on the US.

Unfortunately the region listing on blu-ray.com is inconclusive, in that one user reported region B as o.k. and another one reported it as incompatible :stars:

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 10:58:47 AM »
Grave of the Fireflies has been released on Blu-ray on the US.

Unfortunately the region listing on blu-ray.com is inconclusive, in that one user reported region B as o.k. and another one reported it as incompatible :stars:

Thanks for that, I spotted that you had got the US release in your big list.

Somehow or other I managed to mss it yesterday but Grave of the Fireflies has now been relisted as due in UK on 27th May 2013, the same release date as Kiki's Delivery Service.
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 08:35:37 PM »
The Porco Rosso Blu-ray now has a Japanese release date of July 17th. As per the other Japanese Blu's this has English subtitles and is region free.

Dave

My Library

Eommen

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 06:32:13 PM »
"From Up On Poppy Hill" is now listed on amazon.co.uk for release on Sept. 23, 2013. See here .
"Kiki's delivery service" has been released yesterday (July 1). See here for amazon, there are of course more vendors.. Same is true for "Grave of the Fireflies".

It still leaves a massive mount of ghibli titles not on bluray (I mean, region B or region free with Japanese OV and at least English subtitles), at least:
Pom Poko
Porco Rosso
Only Yesterday
The Cat Returns
Mononoke Hime
Spirited Away (*)

(*) released in NL as BR but the distributor admitted soon that it was just an upscaled DVD put to a BR disk... :redcard:

Anyone has corrections on that list?

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 08:42:29 PM »
"Kiki's delivery service" has been released yesterday (July 1). See here for amazon, there are of course more vendors.. Same is true for "Grave of the Fireflies".

Thanks I spotted that the dates had changed last month but failed to update this thread :(

"From Up On Poppy Hill" is now listed on amazon.co.uk for release on Sept. 23, 2013. See here .

Thanks again, I only just noticed that was getting its UK release, when doing a check check at blu-ray.com, and I was about to do an update here but you beat me to it :)

It still leaves a massive mount of ghibli titles not on bluray (I mean, region B or region free with Japanese OV and at least English subtitles), at least:
Pom Poko
Porco Rosso
Only Yesterday
The Cat Returns
Mononoke Hime
Spirited Away (*)

(*) released in NL as BR but the distributor admitted soon that it was just an upscaled DVD put to a BR disk... :redcard:

Anyone has corrections on that list?

As I detailed earlier in this thread Only Yesterday (Omohide Poro poro) was released in Japan on 5th. December 2012 and is listed as region free with English subtitles. I was waiting to see if StudioCanal were going to release it but as nothing has appeared so far I have now ordered from Japan and my copy arrived in the UK yesterday just waiting for customs notification and clearance now, probably another week before I get my mitts on it :(

and in my post above yours Porco Rosso gets its release later this month in Japan.

With respect to the remaining titles we are in the hands of Studio Ghibli and/or their Japanese Blu-ray producers/distributors as to when they do them, hopefully sooner rather than later.
Dave

My Library

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 09:56:21 PM »
I added UK and Australian specs for Kiki's Delivery Service to Rewind the other day (they are identical):
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=24058

W0m6at

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2013, 02:11:59 PM »
I'm annoyed that Grave of the Fireflies hasn't been released locally. I consider it an excellent movie, even though I've only watched it once. I'm keen to watch it again, but I'm caught up in that bizarre mental state where I know it's available "somewhere" on Blu-ray, and the DVD just ain't gonna cut it for me. :-\

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »
Pom Poko (Heisei Tanuki Gassen Pom Poko) now has a Japanese release date of 6th November 2013. As usual it is listed as being region free with English subtitles and additionally this also has English Language.
Dave

My Library

Eommen

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »
Anyone on the logic the distributor has for the sequence number on the sleeves? No 5 is printed both on "Kiki's..." and on "Whisper...", while the early "Totoro..."has the relatively high number of 9. Sigh...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2013, 06:07:17 AM »
Anyone on the logic the distributor has for the sequence number on the sleeves? No 5 is printed both on "Kiki's..." and on "Whisper...", while the early "Totoro..."has the relatively high number of 9. Sigh...
Criterion is continuing their spine numbers from DVD days, so stuff that was previously on DVD will get a low number. Maybe something similar is going on? So maybe Totoro is 9, because that is what the DVD had...?

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 08:39:04 PM »

Sorry to come back so late but this has been discussed on the blu-ray.com forums where a couple of people wrote to Optimum and StudioCanal. The answers forthcoming from them made the matter even more confusing with the 1st reply saying that they were numbered in blu-ray release order until it was pointed out that Ponyo, the 1st release, had number 17 on it (the same as the DVD). Optimum came back and stated that future copies of this and Laputa would be renumbered. A later attempt at clarification from StudioCanal intimated that they were following Studio Ghibli guidelines on the numbering. Full details in this thread http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=166042. So my guess is that the logic used by the distributors is illogical.
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2013, 08:45:38 PM »
An update to the Japanese release schedule.

Both Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime) and The Cat Returns (Neko no Ongaeshi) get their blu-ray releases on the 4th December 2013. Both have English subtitles and an English language track.
Dave

My Library

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 08:00:39 PM »
The Blu-ray of Porco Rosso now has a UK release date of November 18th 2013.
Dave

My Library