Author Topic: 2010 October Horror Marathon (Discussion thread)  (Read 31691 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 October Horror Marathon (Discussion thread)
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2010, 11:54:05 AM »
The Wolfman

Year: 2010
Director: Joe Johnston
Cast: Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt
Overview: Inspired by the classic Universal film, The Wolfman stars Benicio Del Toro as Lawrence Talbot, a haunted nobleman who returns to his family estate after his brother's fiancée, Gwen Conliffe (Emily Blunt), begs him to help find her missing love.

Reunited with his estranged father (Anthony Hopkins), Talbot sets out to find his brother... and discovers that a beast with an insatiable bloodlust has been killing villagers, and that a suspicious Scotland Yard inspector named Aberline (Hugo Weaving) has come to investigate.

But as he hunts for the nightmarish beast, Talbot discovers a horrifying destiny for himself.

Watched: 2nd. Oct 2010
My Thoughts: A disappointing film from my perspective. It didn't grab me and quite early on I found my attention wandering. The look and feel seemed to be good but still not enough to get me to sit still and watch. I've probably seen the original on TV but don't remember too much about it so I cannot compare them.

Think I'll maybe try to dig out Brotherhood of the Wolf and rewatch that. Decided against that as it appears to be buried deep in one of my piles of discs and too awkward to get out at the moment.

My Rating: Just a 2

Dave
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:00:44 PM by dfmorgan »
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Najemikon

« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2010, 12:33:54 PM »
I know Pete liked it, but this seems to be the standard opinion of Wolfman. I haven't seen it, but Pete was literally the first good review I heard! I'd almost decided to have a go, but, you've put me back to the default setting of "can't be bothered". ;)

I'll catch up soon, but this isn't going to be a full-tilt marathon for me. Too damn busy.  :training:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2010, 12:42:54 PM »
But I love to read your reviews :weep:
You don't write short review like I do but movie analysis and I really like reading them :thumbup:

BTW Jon in my thread I was wondering if you have seen Blood on Satan's Claw because there are many things I don't understand in this film...

RossRoy

« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2010, 02:47:08 PM »
Where is everybody? Sebastien,[... snipped ...] no one of you had posted a single review :whistle:

to appease Jimmy  ;)

Watched, and reviewed

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2010, 03:20:31 PM »
There seems to be a lot of you watching Forbidden World.  I'm going to have to pick it up for myself and see what all the hubbub is.  :thumbup:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2010, 06:55:05 PM »

Title: Zombieland
Year: 2009
Director: Ruben Fleischer
Writing: Rhett Reese (Writer), Paul Wernick (Writer)
Rating: 15
Length: 88 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: Arabic, Commentary, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Hindi, Norwegian, Swedish

Stars:
Jesse Eisenberg as Columbus
Woody Harrelson as Tallahassee
Emma Stone as Wichita
Abigail Breslin as Little Rock
Amber Heard as 406

Plot:
Nerdy college student Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg) has survived the plague that has turned mankind into flesh-devouring zombies despite being scared of just about everything. Gun-toting, Twinkie-loving Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson) has no fears. As they join forces with Wichita (Emma Stone) and Little Rock (Abigail Breslin) who have also found unique ways to survive zombie mayhem, they will have to determine which is worse: relying on each other or succumbing to the zombies.

Awards:
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2010NominatedBest Comedy Movie
MTV Movie Awards2010NominatedBest Scared-as-S**t PerformanceJesse Eisenberg
MTV Movie Awards2010NominatedBest WTF Moment"**** ****** in surprise cameo of himself": **** ******

Extras:
BD-Live
Bonus Trailers
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Movie IQ
Picture-in-picture
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Probably my only movie this month, that will qualify for this marathon (though it could be that I will watch Fido this month). So I thought I'd share my thoughts on it. I am usually not that big fan of zombie movies. But I loved Shaun of the Dead. When I heard similar good stuff about this movie, I thought I'd give it a chance.
I think this was the first zombie movie I have seen (except for Fido), were the big zombie attack is thing of the past. But whereas in Fido the zombies were beaten, this movie is about a small group of survivors in a zombie-laden USA. All four prinicipal cast members did a great job. Though the premise sounds glum, it is a comedy. I loved how they always brought up the Columbus' rules about surviving.
Also real fun was the surprise cameo. I will remove the name in the awards list above. I also recommend to not look at the cast list of your DVD if you want to be surprised. It's a really short cast list so it is easily accidentally read. Sadly I saw the name beforehand.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2010, 07:03:45 PM »
Probably my only movie this month, that will qualify for this marathon (though it could be that I will watch Fido this month).

Although I have watched three Buffy episodes today. These would also qualify.

hal9g

« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2010, 09:35:10 PM »
Review posted for Hostel Part II.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2010, 09:38:10 PM »
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans

Year: 2008
Director: Patrick Tatopoulos
Cast: Michael Sheen, Bill Nighy, Rhona Mitra
Overview: The prequel story traces the origins of the centuries-old blood feud between the aristocratic vampires known as Death Dealers and their onetime slaves, the Lycans. In the Dark Ages, a young Lycan named Lucian (Michael Sheen) emerges as a powerful leader who rallies the werewolves to rise up against Viktor (Bill Nighy), the cruel vampire king who has enslaved them. Lucian is joined by his secret lover, Sonja (Rhona Mitra), in his battle against the Death Dealer army and his struggle for Lycan freedom.

Watched: 3rd. Oct 2010
My Thoughts: Another lycanthrope disappointment. Whilst I enjoyed this more than The Wolfman I feel that it didn't come up to the standard set by the two earlier films in the Underworld series.

My Rating: Just a 2 again.

Dave
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2010, 11:11:47 PM »
I can see we have different tastes... I liked that and The Wolf Man  :P
Pete

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2010, 12:09:23 AM »
I can see we have different tastes... I liked that and The Wolf Man  :P

True enough. I try to avoid reviews here before I view the film or write my review but usually do try to check out any reviews here after posting my review. I saw that we held quite different views on these but that is good to get the different perspectives. I may rewatch in the future and remember to look at what was written and view the film in a slightly different light. But then again I may still feel that they weren't that good  ;D

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2010, 12:10:44 AM »
Very true :)
Pete

hal9g

« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2010, 03:11:16 AM »
Review posted for The Invasion.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2010, 07:37:52 AM »
Where is everybody? Sebastien, Jon, Achim, Emma, Kathy, Antares,... The third days start and except for me, Pete, Marie, Hal and Roger no one of you had posted a single review :whistle:
As announced, I watched Humanoids from the Deep on Friday. On Saturday and Sunday I attended real life (gotta be there too, occasionally) and only watched one film together with my friend: Daybreakers (previously seen at the cinema). As you know I am not big into reviews... :bag:

I am planning to catch up on my Monster Legacy sets, same to Roger, basically. I have quite some stuff in there that I still need to watch. (And they are short, giving me time to follow up on my gaming as well :))

I wish I could watch Forbidden Plante right now as well, but my order hasn't been placed yet :laugh:

Rogmeister

« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2010, 07:40:27 AM »
I do want to watch more things though I've only done one review for the marathon so far.  I was going to watch another on Sunday but instead wound up reviewing a super-hero animated series for my pilot marathon instead.  I don't know if I'll get a review done tomorrow...I have dialysis and then I like to watch CBS' comedies on Monday nights.  Maybe I can fit in one of those short movies if I don't get all tired out.