Author Topic: Hawaii Five-0  (Read 4755 times)

Najemikon

Re: Hawaii Five-0
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 10:40:07 AM »
Yeah, it's unfortunate when lesser known films are brushed aside, Jimmy, but that's why I said it's case-by-case. None of those you mentioned are comparable with Hawaii 5-0 which is clearly very proud to show it's roots.

I remember someone, maybe from here, commenting that there really isn't anything original anyways. Something along the lines that all movies are based on a small number of themes or ideas.
I believe the number of basic story lines is 7... So, yeah, based on that nothing is original at all.

I'll go with "a good remake can stand on its own". Most critics will tell you that remakes should be done for bad films; movies that have a good concept but were flawed the first time and therefore can be improved upon. I agree that it is pointless to remake good movies, because the chance of success becomes much much smaller. On the other hand, there is always the side effect of pointing people towards the original...

I've said something similar before about Martin Scorcese's documentary which discussed how director's are "smugglers", stealing from previous work and hiding it in something new, as he himself has just done with Shutter Island. But that's perfectly normal. And those who embark on remakes should be able to say they are doing so for the right reasons.

By the way, Hawaii 5-0 will probably be terrible. Like bloody Knight Rider!  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
I doubt it :headscratch:
Seriously how many here had tried to watch the original after watching Ed TV? or know it's a remake of Louis 19?

Seriously how many here had tried to watch the original after watching The List? or know it's a remake of Liste noire?

Seriously how many here had tried to watch the original after watching the tv serie Sophie? or know it's a remake of Les hauts et les bas de Sophie Paquin

This right here proves half the time I don't even know something is a remake. The only title above I ever even heard of is EdTV and how would I know it is a remake? especially when the original's title is completely different. I watched EdTV years ago... and until today I had no clue what so ever that it was a remake of another film.

So if there is no idea it is a remake there is no seeking out the original.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 10:51:21 PM »
The cast reads intriguing: Scott Caan (Ocean's Eleven, The Fast and the Furious), Daniel Dae Kim (LOST), Grace Park (Battlestar Galactica), Masi Oka (Heroes) and of course James Marsters (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Smallville).
The problem for me is that it is a straight-forward cop show like CSI or NCIS. There's no special element in it. I'm sure it's a good show that many people will enjoy but it's just not my kind of show.
It doesn't help at all that I'm partial towards the supposed baddie (Marsters).
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »
I just hope enough people enjoy it that it sticks around for a while!
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 11:03:37 PM »
I just hope enough people enjoy it that it sticks around for a while!

CSI has been running for how many years now?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 11:08:10 PM »
Yeah... but that is CSI. As I said in the first post as I see it... this one already has a couple strikes against it. :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 02:03:30 AM »
I didn't realize that Marsters was in this one.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 02:12:35 AM »
To be honest with you... I didn't notice/recognize him. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 02:54:49 PM »
Looks like I may be lucky on this one since I liked it... I was just watching something I recorded last night... and a commercial for this came on... and it claims Hawaii Five-0 as TV's #1 New Show. So apparently it at least did good in the ratings for the first week. :)
Pete