Author Topic: Hawaii Five-0  (Read 4756 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Hawaii Five-0
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:43:58 PM »
Hawaii Five-0
Upon returning to Hawaii to investigate his father's murder, decorated Naval officer Steve McGarrett is recruited by the Governor to head up an elite new police task force - his rules, her backing, no red tape.

I watched the pilot episode of this series... and I must say I enjoyed it quite a bit. I hope it makes it... though I do have my doubts. As it seems re-imaging of old TV Series don't tend to last long. That and the fact that Alex O'Laughlin is the lead in it. Who I have found I like... but it seems any show he leads does not last as he lead both Moonlight... the vampire detective series and the medical drama Three Rivers.

Anyway... I am hoping this one makes it... as I enjoyed every minute of it. :)
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaii Five-0
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:09:07 PM »
As it seems re-imaging of old TV Series don't tend to last long.
Wich is a good thing ;D
My opinion on this is the same than the remaking of film, it's a simple proof that talent and imagination don't exist anymore in the mainstream american entertainment industry. Whatever we talk about film, TV, music, book, ... it's exactly the same : no originallity, no risk and no heart... just money bussiness :(

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:38:55 PM »
In my eyes... I don't care if it is a remake or not... if I enjoy what I see I want to see it stay a good long time. I don't care if the idea was done before or not. I just want to have fun watching the type of shows I like!  :thumbsup:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:59:42 PM »
As it seems re-imaging of old TV Series don't tend to last long.
Wich is a good thing ;D
My opinion on this is the same than the remaking of film, it's a simple proof that talent and imagination don't exist anymore in the mainstream american entertainment industry. Whatever we talk about film, TV, music, book, ... it's exactly the same : no originallity, no risk and no heart... just money bussiness :(

Depends how it's interpreted and why it's being done. You have to judge on a case-by-case. What does it matter if it was only done for money if the result is brilliant? I'd much rather watch a remake of an old, much loved TV show that at least tries to capture what made the original great, than a shot-for-shot remake of a current project (such as Life On Mars). Because that really is exploitive.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:20:56 PM »
What does it matter if it was only done for money if the result is brilliant?
If it happens no problem, but I haven't seen one TV remakes that was. I just don't understand the point of re-doing something that was perfect the first time :shrug:

Sure it's better than Big Brother 45 or Jersey Shore or The Hills or any other "reality" shows, but it isn't original (wich is my point)... I can't imagine something like this happening here on our television since this will be doom from the start (even V that is the most idiotic channel here will not try that).

Pete I know we don't agree on this, but for me a pointless remake isn't enjoyable (it's just better effects with new but less talented actors). Of course exception exist like the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers or the 1982 remake of The Thing or the 1986 remake of The Fly, but they are because they are different takes on the original and not remakes per se.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 10:05:49 PM »
I think this is one of the few areas I don't agree with you Jimmy. Although I can't comment on this series, as a general rule I enjoy remakes. I take the remake at face value and don't even think about the original material. Of course, it helps that as I grow older I don't remember those things any way!  :laugh:

I remember someone, maybe from here, commenting that there really isn't anything original anyways. Something along the lines that all movies are based on a small number of themes or ideas.

When I watch a film or a TV series, I only care that I am entertained for a short time. I want to escape my world and feel as though I have been taken to a different place. As long as they make me feel something, I don't care if the film or series are a remake or not.

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:28:46 PM »
The great thing about remakes, is that they don't affect the original. I don't know anyone who thinks, "that movie with Nic Cage" when The Wicker Man is mentioned. If anything, it's free advertising for the proper versions.

I can't remember who, but I read an interview with an author. He was asked by a previous journalist if he was annoyed that his book had been ruined by the dreadful film version. He frowned and led the journalist into his study and pointed at a copy of the book on his shelf. "Don't worry. It's quite safe", he said... :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:30:30 PM »
Yup... I feel much the same way as Kathy does!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 10:32:17 PM »
The great thing about remakes, is that they don't affect the original. I don't know anyone who thinks, "that movie with Nic Cage" when The Wicker Man is mentioned. If anything, it's free advertising for the proper versions.

I can't remember who, but I read an interview with an author. He was asked by a previous journalist if he was annoyed that his book had been ruined by the dreadful film version. He frowned and led the journalist into his study and pointed at a copy of the book on his shelf. "Don't worry. It's quite safe", he said... :laugh:

Absolutely... no matter if I love or hate the remake... the original is still there for my enjoyment.

Even if I don't agree about the original Wickerman!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 02:02:48 AM »
I really liked the female member of the team...

Not the best picture... but still looking. She looked great in the bikini scenes!  :drooling:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 02:09:03 AM »
This will give you a good idea...

Her name is Grace Park
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 02:35:09 AM »
Grace Park

Boomer!  :thumbup:

Here's a  :drooling:  pic of her:

:-[

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 04:16:32 AM »

99% of all remakes are complete rubbish, but one thing that makes them worthwhile is the fact that a lot of people will seek out the original to compare. And thus, they find out that the original exists and is far superior. The Day the Earth Stood Still, Get Carter, The Day of the Jackal, The Manchurian Candidate and The Taking of Pelham One Two Three are great examples of this.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »
I remember someone, maybe from here, commenting that there really isn't anything original anyways. Something along the lines that all movies are based on a small number of themes or ideas.
I believe the number of basic story lines is 7... So, yeah, based on that nothing is original at all.

I'll go with "a good remake can stand on its own". Most critics will tell you that remakes should be done for bad films; movies that have a good concept but were flawed the first time and therefore can be improved upon. I agree that it is pointless to remake good movies, because the chance of success becomes much much smaller. On the other hand, there is always the side effect of pointing people towards the original...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 06:20:39 AM »
I doubt it :headscratch:
Seriously how many here had tried to watch the original after watching Ed TV? or know it's a remake of Louis 19?

Seriously how many here had tried to watch the original after watching The List? or know it's a remake of Liste noire?

Seriously how many here had tried to watch the original after watching the tv serie Sophie? or know it's a remake of Les hauts et les bas de Sophie Paquin