Author Topic: Overrated Movies  (Read 4093 times)

Touti

Overrated Movies
« on: January 14, 2008, 10:12:20 PM »
Following Karsten's thread about underrated movies (http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,671.0.html) I though we might as well do it the other way around.

Najemikon

Re: Overrated Movies
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:47:23 PM »
Now this one could get nasty! Are we allowed to shout at each other when other people are wrong?  :tease:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:13:35 PM »
I'd say "The Godfather" but I am sure I wouldn't leave this forum alive if I'd actually do it.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:16:21 PM »
I'd say "The Godfather" but I am sure I wouldn't leave this forum alive if I'd actually do it.
Never seen it  :bag:
Don't plan on doing so either  :tease:

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »
ARGH! ARGH! ARGH!  :voodoo: :chainsaw:

Ok. Ok! I see your Godfather... I raise! Star Trek. Any of 'em. O-ver-ra-ted big time.  :tease:

Actually I did really like Wrath of Khan. And the one with the whales. Damn my honesty...  :bag:

Seriously, I'll pick two Kubrick's for the price of one: A Clockwork Orange and The Shining. I don't like the former at all and although I do enjoy The Shining, I don't believe it is close to the lofty heights many seem to raise it to.

Touti

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:24:26 AM »
E.T
A.I

And all other Spielberg 2 letters movie :hysterical:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 02:30:53 AM »
2001: A Space Odyssey

Sorry guy, I've never found what is so good or interesting in this movie.

m.cellophane

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 04:17:17 AM »
"The Godfather"
:o

2001: A Space Odyssey

Sorry guy, I've never found what is so good or interesting in this movie.
:o  One of my all-time favorites. I own it on HD DVD. It looks incredible.  :drooling: Of course, if you don't like the movie, you won't care how it looks.  :laugh:

Seriously, I'll pick two Kubrick's for the price of one: A Clockwork Orange and The Shining. I don't like the former at all and although I do enjoy The Shining, I don't believe it is close to the lofty heights many seem to raise it to.
I never could get through A Clockwork Orange.  :shrug: I kinda like The Shining though. Have it on Blu-ray.  ;)

E.T
A.I

And all other Spielberg 2 letters movie :hysterical:
:laugh: I love E.T.  :'(  A.I. is ok. I didn't know it had been praised enough to be called over-rated.  :laugh:

For my pick, I'm going to go with 300. I just couldn't get into it. Watched it on HD DVD. It looked great...but didn't do it for me.  :-\  :tomato:

Touti

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 02:37:03 PM »
For my pick, I'm going to go with 300. I just couldn't get into it. Watched it on HD DVD. It looked great...but didn't do it for me.  :-\  :tomato:

My most disapointing buy of '07.  Everybody kept talking so highly of it I even broke my max $$$ rule and paid close to 30$ for the Future Shop exclusive tin case ........but I hated it >:(

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 03:04:03 PM »
I liked 300, but I watched it in the cinema and I went in with the right expectations.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

richierich

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 03:24:41 PM »

richierich

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 03:26:17 PM »
From cinema viewings I would have to add

I Am Legend

Majorly disappointed  >:(

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 08:04:23 PM »
The Matrix.

For me this is a perfect case of overrated, because it was good. In fact, it was bloody good, excellent even. But it quickly gained a reputation for being amongst the greatest sci-fi ever. Which it isn't. Nor is it the coolest, yet anything since that dares to use the long black coats and sunglasses combo is accused of ripping off The Matrix.

Ripping off? They should be so lucky. Two hours of dodgy exposition, plot holes and crap dialogue, followed by two of the worst sequels in recent memory, proving the directors hadn't got a clue when they set out. The cracks are there in the first. Joel Silver also frequently claimed many milestones (bullet time, the car chase, etc). Bollocks.

It's a successful and fun exercise in style over substance which came just in time to rescue cinema from the disappointment that was The Phantom Menace. That seems to have blasted it out of all proportion.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 01:50:13 PM »
Blade Runner: I do kinda like this and think that it is quite a good film. But it isn't the masterpiece that an awful lot of people seem to claim it to be.
Napolean Dynamite: Another one of these Indie films that if you don't like your not cool or whatever.  But that can't hide the fact that it's utter tripe.
Memento: Mixing up the narrative does not a good film make.

You're safe.

It's not the other site.

Tried to watch it a few times.

I keep falling asleep.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 04:47:18 PM »
Blade Runner: I do kinda like this and think that it is quite a good film. But it isn't the masterpiece that an awful lot of people seem to claim it to be.

While it may miss some substance (haven't seen it in a while, but I guess it depends on POV), it certainly has a lot of wonderful style.

Napolean Dynamite: Another one of these Indie films that if you don't like your not cool or whatever.  But that can't hide the fact that it's utter tripe.
Tried to watch it once (well, I finished, too) and have to agree. Funny at moments, but that's about it. most of it was dreadful to get through.

Memento: Mixing up the narrative does not a good film make.
Agreed. If the style (backwards storytelling) wasn't there, there wouldn't be much of a film. I still like it. :P