Author Topic: Why are they doin' this to me.  (Read 3237 times)

Touti

Why are they doin' this to me.
« on: September 19, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »
I know........it's not the extended version and they will be released someday and double dipping is bad but in heaven's name why are they doing this to me.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003G2ZVPS/ref=s9_simth_gw_p74_d6_i2?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1DYR93JKTE92J838XRGB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383511&pf_rd_i=915398

I will not................I will not..................I will not..................I will not..................I will not..................I will not..................I will not..................I wil.................

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Why are they doin' this to me.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 12:36:19 AM »
Be strong.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 12:38:07 AM »
I'm probably (OK change this for certainly) the only one here who don't understand the big deal with those films... Get the first one in the cheap regular edition, bought the extented for the other and never get the last one (doesn't even watch it). This money rip-off just bored me to death, this is just like watching a videogame for me (sure beautifull image for those who appreciated the CGI effects - wich I don't- but no heart). It's a good thing that I have an imagination and can make my own film while I read the trilogy.

So it won't be too hard for me to resist :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 12:53:20 AM »
I already have two DVD versions of each of them ...so I'm doing my best to wait on the extended versions for Blu..or director's cut..whatever they call them.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 01:22:56 AM »
Imagine how wonderful these films will look in BluRay and you know you want...

No, no what I actually mean is - double dipping is bad. You must wait for the extended versions.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 01:29:12 AM »
No need to get nervous:

Quoting review of the DVD-release of this "Edition":
I never expected this to be the extended version, but I did expect it would be the movie version, which it isn't. This has been edited extensively, probably for TV, more likely to make a buck. Really disappointing, and now, just as the company expects, I have to invest more money in the extended version just to get the sequences that were in the original film. Don't buy this version!

So stay calm and wait for the Extended versions.
Don't fall for money-grabbing.

Touti

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 01:34:55 AM »
Not sure I understand here Michael................are you saying the BluRay versions aren't even the original theatrical releases ?

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 08:37:57 AM »
I'm probably (OK change this for certainly) the only one here who don't understand the big deal with those films...

Sorry, but you are wrong.
Matthias

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 08:50:10 AM »
I'm probably (OK change this for certainly) the only one here who don't understand the big deal with those films...

Sorry, but you are wrong.

:(

Looks like I have to make up some forum rules after all ... not liking LOTR ...  :headscratch:

;)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 09:17:12 AM »
Looks like I have to make up some forum rules after all ... not liking LOTR ...  :headscratch:

It's not that I actively dislike the LotR movies, they are more of the shrugworthy kind to me.

EDIT: As far as fantasy epics go, Narnia would be one I found downright awful; Golden Compass I liked very much, despite the somewhat convoluted mess it was.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:37:01 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 09:42:08 AM »
Looks like I have to make up some forum rules after all ... not liking LOTR ...  :headscratch:
;)
Never said I don't like the story (it's one of the best I've read). I don't like the films... the film in my head while I read the trilogy is better and not full of CGI

But I will give one thing to the film... I love the instrumental score (but that's all).

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 02:48:24 PM »
Not sure I understand here Michael................are you saying the BluRay versions aren't even the original theatrical releases ?
That's how I understood this review, yes.
If you take into consideration the other bad reviews on Amazon (the ones that actually deal with the quality of releases and not with the quality of the movie as such), the interpretation seems to be correct.

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 03:04:29 PM »
I can't find any indication that these are not even the Theatricals. I've just been looking on BBFC and can't see any recent submissions, which usually indicates the distributors have just re-released the DVD cut, just on a different format. I don't think that requires re-submission to the BBFC unless they actually change something.

Touti

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 04:01:05 PM »
I checked the reviews on blu-ray.com and I haven't seen anything indicating they would but "cut down" versions from the theatrical releases.  There is however quite a few complains from people about missing bonus features.  I think that's what this is about, it's not the movies that are not the same as the theatrical releases, it's the features that seems to be missing.  Check the "Special features and extras" section of blu-ray.com's official review.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Motion-Picture-Trilogy-Blu-ray/5174/#Review

snowcat

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 05:54:08 PM »
I'm probably (OK change this for certainly) the only one here who don't understand the big deal with those films... Get the first one in the cheap regular edition, bought the extented for the other and never get the last one (doesn't even watch it). This money rip-off just bored me to death, this is just like watching a videogame for me (sure beautifull image for those who appreciated the CGI effects - wich I don't- but no heart). It's a good thing that I have an imagination and can make my own film while I read the trilogy.

So it won't be too hard for me to resist :laugh:

...I have to admit, I never got through the first one :/