Author Topic: Dexter - The Complete Fourth Season  (Read 4149 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Dexter - The Complete Fourth Season
« on: September 18, 2010, 07:35:44 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Dexter: The Fourth Season
Year: 2009
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 632 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Michael C. Hall - Dexter Morgan
Jennifer Carpenter - Debra Morgan
Lauren Vélez - Lt. Maria Laguerta
David Zayas - Angel Batista
James Remar - Harry Morgan
C.S. Lee - Vince Masuka
Julie Benz - Rita Bennett

Plot:
The Fourth Season brings not just one, but two new arrivals - a baby, and The Trinity Killer! The groundbreaking and critically acclaimed original series from Showtime, starring Golden Globe® winner Michael C. Hall, returns on DVD with all 12 thrilling and riveting episodes.

America's favorite serial killer has gone from freewheeling bachelor to responsible husband and doting dad. Maintaining an average-guy facade while satisfying his need to kill has never been easy. But now, with wife and kids in tow, Dexter's got more to lose then ever, as he gets drawn into a deadly game with a killer every bit as dangerous — and conflicted — as he is.

My Thoughts:
I originally hesitated to get this set. I wasn't sure that the setup for this show could keep up for four (or more) seasons and thought it might get boring at some point. I am now very glad I changed my mind because this fourth season was still on par with everything that came before., if not better in some parts. I watched the first disc over two evenings, the second disc in one sitting and (since I was home sick) finished the last two discs together in one day.

My watching pattern easily matches the pacing of the season. The first 4 episodes were all rather slow setup and then at the end of episode 4 the speed picks up and almost doesn't let go until the end. Only occasionally things feel a bit weird, which is usually when we (the audience) are too far ahead of the characters currently on screen (when Dexter is ahead of the team, then so are we, which means watching the team to get pack up to speed with us can become a bit cumbersome...).

It is amazing how strongly each season arc has differed from the others (obviously there are similarities here to season 1, but it plays out much differently) and the overall background stories (which continue through all seasons) are still keeping me interested, even with their occasionally soapy characteristics :laugh:; heck, sometimes I wish I'd get more of that and less serial killing :hysterical:. I was getting a bit bored with the story line of LaGuerta and Batista, but I guess such is life. Quinn's and Debra's stories were fun and always interesting to see. Dexter of course gets the strongest character changes (sort of), which is most obvious in season 4, and it is great!

The show is very well written and acting is great from almost everyone (e.g. the reporter stuck out to me as a bit below par). The directing is handled by a group of director's with several well known names thrown in to the mix.

(click to show/hide)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dexter - The Complete Fourth Season
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »
I just received my set and took a quick look. 3-4 episodes on single-layer discs resulting in an abysmal image quality. However, DVD Profiler lists them as DL with different Disc IDs. The set has the same UPC as the one you used for your cover image, so I'm wondering if you did notice anything.
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:51:11 PM »
I haven't checked the layers myself, but I had noticed very quickly that, for me, it was the best looking season yet! For me the first season looked rather grainy, in a bad way, and the second one was not far behind. I don't recall what I thought of the third season, but this one looked quite pretty to me.

I quickly grabbed a disc, since it was just in the cabinet behind me and a quick check confirmed that mine are DL. Bootleg.....? Or would they really release the set in two such vastly different versions?

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 01:59:51 PM »
There are a few different versions around (Best Buy, Target with a 5th bouns disc), dunno if they have the same UPC. The DVDTalk reviewer also mentioned issues with the video quality, but IIRC didn't say anything about DL/SL.

I got mine from eBay, so it could be a bootleg, but it looks very legit and even includes the Showtime flyers.
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »
According to DVD Profiler the Best Buy and Target versions only have an additional disc, but otherwise are the same set.+

Like I said, I very much remember my first season being like that. Quickly checking that though, it also is confirmed as DL :headscratch:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 12:32:24 AM »
Well, this is certainly strange. Aside from being SL, there is no indication of it being a bootleg. It was shipped from the US, the packaging and the discs look absolutely original up to the engraving on the center rings.
Matthias

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 12:52:53 AM »
Okay, it is definitely a pirated copy. I just wonder why someone would go through all the trouble of creating an exact replica of the US release and then use DVD5s instead of DVD9s to make it noticable.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:54:32 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 03:05:40 AM »
Wow, where did you get it from?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 06:21:33 AM »
Wow, where did you get it from?

I got mine from eBay, so it could be a bootleg, but it looks very legit and even includes the Showtime flyers.

This? ;)

Or you wanted to know more details?

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 12:13:42 PM »
Yes, I was interested in knowing the exact details of the whole tra... you know what, I'll just get the  :bag:

:-[

:hysterical:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 01:14:43 AM »
I was able to get my money back by stating that I wouldn't leave feedback on the eBay transaction if the seller issues a refund immediately and without me having to send the item back. I wonder if I really should just drop it or leave negative feedback and report this to eBay anyway. The seller isn't a big fish, but has 100% positive feedback and I did ask if it was a genuine US release before making the purchase, which she (falsely) said it was. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:17:44 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 07:00:54 AM »
I was able to get my money back by stating that I wouldn't leave feedback on the eBay transaction if the seller issues a refund immediately and without me having to send the item back. I wonder if I really should just drop it or leave negative feedback and report this to eBay anyway. The seller isn't a big fish, but has 100% positive feedback and I did ask if it was a genuine US release before making the purchase, which she (falsely) said it was. Any thoughts?
Sinse she lied about the genuity of the product I'd say you don't have to worry having lied about not leaving feedback :shrug: Another way would be to not leave feedback but report it to eBay or even Showtime.

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »
Sinse she lied about the genuity of the product I'd say you don't have to worry having lied about not leaving feedback :shrug: Another way would be to not leave feedback but report it to eBay or even Showtime.

Was she selling multiple copies of this or anything else? That would suggest she's attempting to run this as a business to some degree and 100% good feedback surely means she's doing ok. If she is trying to do that, then she'll be sourcing stock from somewhere and it's possible she's just been unlucky.

I once had this same situation with Kill Bill. I wanted the Japanese uncut edition and it turned out to be a fake. The guy was clearly distraught and pulled all the other copies, blaming his supplier. For what it is worth, I believed him because of his 100% record.

For me, feedback is always about the full transaction and if she has refunded without argument, that's at least a neutral and no need tor report...

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 01:22:28 PM »
I just received a brand new copy of Dexter Season 4 from eBay myself last week but didn't look at it very closely which I'm going to now. I do remember it was a vendor from Quebec that I got it from and was shocked for how little I won the auction ($11.51 US + $5.50 shipping).  :-\  Got me worried now as I've been burned with pirated copies in the past too.

EDIT: Gah, looks like I've been burned too. These are single layered discs! I hadn't bothered opening the neatly sealed box so I assumed all would be well and already left positive feedback. The packaging is spot on and very convincing and the discs look very legitimate too. I just put a disc in and skimmed through the first episode and the quality still seems very good. It's easy to spot the bootlegs on the darker scenes as it will often show blocky artifacts on the screen but I didn't see any of that. It does clearly say on the back of the dvd insert 'Dual-Layer format : Layer transition may trigger a slight pause.'

So I'm not sure what to think. These are no question single layered discs but the quality of the package and video playback seem fine...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:40:39 PM by KinkyCyborg »

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 01:39:12 PM »
Was she selling multiple copies of this or anything else? That would suggest she's attempting to run this as a business to some degree and 100% good feedback surely means she's doing ok. If she is trying to do that, then she'll be sourcing stock from somewhere and it's possible she's just been unlucky.

I once had this same situation with Kill Bill. I wanted the Japanese uncut edition and it turned out to be a fake. The guy was clearly distraught and pulled all the other copies, blaming his supplier. For what it is worth, I believed him because of his 100% record.

For me, feedback is always about the full transaction and if she has refunded without argument, that's at least a neutral and no need tor report...

She is selling multiple copies of this and some other items, but overall with less than 100 recorded transactions (at least for this particular account). That suggests that she gets them from somewhere else to resell them. From our communication after my complaint it was also clear that she is fully aware that they are fakes. The eBay listing doesn't indicate that and the price wasn't so cheap that you would automatically think bootleg.

When I contacted her prior to the purchase, it wasn't even because I suspected something fishy, but because there are multiple exclusive releases (BestBuy, Target) besides the regular one. The worst I expected was it to be a screener copy and I wanted to make very clear that I was looking for a genuine retail release.

What irks me is that she could have simply ignored my question to avoid this. Nobody expects an answer along the lines of "No, I sell bootlegs", but to say they are genuine when they are not is IMHO one step too far.

I don't mind people selling and buying bootlegs on eBay. As long as both sides aware of what they are doing, it is none of my business. But this is clearly a conscious effort to pass them as the real thing. Even I was in doubt for a little while due to the video issues reported in the DVDTalk review.
Matthias