Author Topic: Kick-Ass *****  (Read 32536 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Kick-Ass *****
« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »
I hope to be able to pick mine up at a HMV in Hong Kong on Thursday ;D

So, well, here is my hope one of our UK members can help me: If you use iTunes you can "gift" me the album; that is one of the option in the drop down menu on the right next to the price. iTunes will then send me a code that I  can redeem and eventually download the songs. Of course, before this will happen, I would paypal you the money (so you need a PayPal account as well, I guess).
:celebrate: Thank you very much to the friend who helped me to obtain my copy of the album from the UK Store. :bow:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 02:25:26 PM by Achim »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2010, 05:51:13 PM »
It hasn't arrived today  :weep:
So I will have to watch it tomorrow. I really would have liked to watch it today. I also read that the documentary on it is really worthwhile.

Najemikon

« Reply #167 on: September 06, 2010, 07:02:50 PM »
I have mine!  :dance:

Najemikon

« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2010, 01:01:29 AM »
Ok, now the dust has settled and we're into proper second sittings, where one can consider and separate the hype, can I ask something?

Where the fuck did this amazing film come from? Sorry. Pardon the bloody French and all that, but really. It's just rude how good this film actually is. Who the hell does Matthew Vaughn think he is? :laugh: His grasp of the material is massive. His editing and pacing couldn't be sharper. The set-pieces are exhilarating, original and different from each other; that's massive in itself. And then the shift in tone is audacious and confident. When the freshly beaten Dave stares into the mirror... Big Daddy's insane pride... none of the Spider-Man or Iron-Man films could find such simple effectiveness and pull it off. Even Nolan's Batman couldn't do a gear change like that even if he wanted to.

As I said before, I loved it the first time round even with the sound dropping out at the preview. Now I've been able to appreciate that theme... when they fly over the city scape, it's literally magnificent.

And all the while it's still playing against convention! It's still happy to tread a middle ground, aping high school comedies and Spidey. So every time it reverts back to type, it's being so damn cheeky! You know what Vaughn is capable of, he must be laughing as he slums it in the school scenes. Or maybe he just couldn't believe his luck to be working from that material and with such an amazing cast. Movie magic, right there.

"Movie magic"? Listen to me! ::) When I wrote my original review, I was actually having to persuade myself why it had to be a full five. I take some flak for choosing high ratings, but honestly, I take it serious. And I kept scoffing, "it can't have been that good!" even while proving to myself it was. Even now, following a second viewing I'm still reeling that it Could Not Have Been That Good.

But it is bloody awesome.  :thumbup: I repeat from the first time I saw it, it wipes the floor with most other superhero movies. It defines the genre and everyone else will be playing catch-up, especially as Marvel descend into this factory line of Origins and Avengers. They're old fashioned before they're even made!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:03:28 AM by Jon »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2010, 11:11:34 PM »
The movie was still great the fourth time watching it.

Though I am a little disappointed, that there are no deleted scenes in the bonus materials. In the making of I glimpsed for example a scene with Big Daddy and Hit Girl on a playground. They probably save them for an extended cut of the movie.
I also miss the trailers. I am usually not one who insists of having trailers on the DVD/Blu-ray, but I just loved the Hit-Girl red band trailer which got me so psyched about this movie to begin with. I really would have liked to have it on my Blu-ray.

Najemikon

« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2010, 12:32:53 AM »
Agreed on the trailers, but I'm always wary of deleted scenes. They're usually deleted for very good reasons and too many or too bland ones can spoil the effect. Maybe they'll show them in the documentary.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 08, 2010, 01:34:53 AM »
I also miss the trailers. I am usually not one who insists of having trailers on the DVD/Blu-ray, but I just loved the Hit-Girl red band trailer which got me so psyched about this movie to begin with. I really would have liked to have it on my Blu-ray.

The R1 DVD has both the regular and the Hit Girl trailer. Also, an AC by Vaughn and a featurette about the comic books.

It's just rude how good this film actually is. Who the hell does Matthew Vaughn think he is? :laugh:
Movie magic, right there.

I was already really impressed with Stardust. Have you seen that?
Matthias

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2010, 07:16:36 AM »
I love Stardust.  Another wonderful movie directed by Vaughn. 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2010, 09:17:36 AM »
They only had the Hong Kong release in Hong Kong, so I didn't get it. (HMV often as the US releases, which is the ones I am looking for...). So, I'll have to place an order soon. Or maybe wait a bit to see if they announce another Blu-ray?

I am never wary of Deleted Scenes. They can contain nice interesting tidbits that muddled the pace of the film, but work fine as additional pieces. I am always a bit concerned when longer cuts are announced, especially if they are not Director's Cuts...

Najemikon

« Reply #174 on: September 11, 2010, 11:57:22 AM »
I have a feeling there will be no extended directors special limited edition. Kick-Ass is at heart a British film and I just can't see Vaughn or Miller saying, yeah, lets do it again. They're moving on, talking up Kick Ass 2.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2010, 01:05:48 PM »
:hmmmm:

So I can reclaim a potential double dip from you...? :tease:

Well, I'll see how it fits into the next scheduled order(s) and get it when I feel the time has come.