Author Topic: Bones Episode Reviews  (Read 32814 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Bones Episode Reviews
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:16:33 PM »
Episode Reviews
Brilliant, but socially inept, forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperence Brennan works at the Jeffersonian Institute in Washington DC. After consulting for him on a FBI case, she is approached by cocky yet charming ex-Army Ranger turned Special Agent, Seeley Booth to help the Bureau solve crimes by identifying human remains that are too far gone for standard FBI forensic investigations. Brennan's empirical, literal view of the world causes friction with Booths emotive, instinctive attitude creating a volatile relationship. However as their case load increases the symbiotic partnership produces results and with the support of Brennan's Squint Squad, murderers, past and present should be on the look out.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Bones Episode Reviews
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »
Bones: Season 1
David Boreanaz (Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) stars as F.B.I. Agent Seeley Booth, who teams up with forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan (Emily Deschanel) to solve some of the most baffling and bizarre crimes ever. Booth depends on clues from the living, witnesses and suspects, while Brennan gathers evidence from the dead, relying on her uncanny ability to read clues left behind in the bones of the victims. Their different investigative styles cause the two to frequently clash, creating an undeniable chemistry and just the right touch of dark humor. Inspired by real-life forensic anthropologist Kathy Reichs and state-of-the-art criminal investigation procedures, Bones is compelling, cutting-edge television.

Episodes:
1. Pilot
2. The Man in the S.U.V.
3. A Boy in a Tree
4. The Man in the Bear
5. A Boy in a Bush
6. The Man in the Wall
7. The Man on Death Row
8. The Girl in the Fridge
9. The Man in the Fallout Shelter
10. The Woman at the Airport
11. The Woman in the Car
12. The Superhero in the Alley
13. The Woman in the Garden
14. The Man on the Fairway
15. Two Bodies in the Lab
16. The Woman in the Tunnel
17. The Skull in the Desert
18. The Man with the Bone
19. The Man in the Morgue
20. The Graft in the Girl
21. The Soldier in the Grave
22. The Woman in Limbo

Stars:
David Boreanaz as FBI Special Agent Seeley Booth
Emily Deschanel as Dr. Temperance Brennan
Michaela Conlin as Angela Montenegro
Eric Millegan as Zack Addy
T J Thyne as Dr. Jack Hodgins
Jonathan Adams as Dr. Daniel Goodman
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:23:21 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:03:56 PM »

1. Pilot
Air Date: 9/13/05
Forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan teams up with FBI agent Seeley Booth to investigate the murder of a Senate intern, the political implications of which may prove to be staggering.

Guest Stars:
Sam Trammell as Ken Thompson
Chris Conner as Oliver Laurier
Larry Poindexter as Senator Bethlehem
Tyrees Allen as Ted Eller
Bonita Friedericy as Sharon Eller

My Thoughts:
This is an awesome series with a great cast. The cast in this show has wonderful chemistry together. It was a bit weird seeing Brennan's old boss from the first season again. While I enjoyed it I do prefer her new boss now. It was really good seeing the character of Zach again. I much preferred him over the rotating assistants. An excellent start to an excellent series. I have a feeling I will be getting into this show again.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:48:52 PM »

2. The Man in the S.U.V.
Air Date: 9/20/05
When a Middle Eastern diplomat is killed in a car-bomb explosion, Brennan and Booth must determine whether he was a terrorist suicide bomber or a murder victim.

Guest Stars:
Jose Zuniga as Mickey Santana
Bahar Soomekh as Sahar Masruk
Dave Roberson as Bennett Gibson
Anne Dudek as Tessa Jankow
Frederico Dordei as Ali Ladjavardi

My Thoughts:
Not a bad episode... but no where near the quality of the  first episode. It has a decent story... and the characters I just really couldn't force myself to care about. But the chemistry between the regular characters did make up for that a bit.

My Rating:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 12:35:44 AM »
I agree this is an awesome series, Pete, and I do really like it. But I thought the pilot was awful! It felt like a showpiece demo for executives, written in crayon so they could understand it. There was a noticeable change in the second episode and I just loved the style of it from then on.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:37:14 AM »

3. A Boy in a Tree
Air Date: 9/27/05
Brennan and Booth attempt to untangle a complicated web of deception, sex, and blackmail as they investigate an apparent suicide at an elite prep school.

Guest Stars:
Jose Zuniga as Mickey Santana
Heavy D. as Sid Shapiro
Mark Totty as Leo Sanders
Tom Dugan as Headmaster Ronson
Marlene Forte as Ambassado Olivos

My Thoughts:
Definitely better then the last episode... but still not quite as good as the pilot episode. But that is not surprising since I usually find that the pilot episode of a series is one of the best of a series. I liked the little side story of the restaurant that the squints take over... leaving Booth upset. The main storyline/mystery was good... interesting... but could have been better.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 12:39:20 AM »
I agree this is an awesome series, Pete, and I do really like it. But I thought the pilot was awful! It felt like a showpiece demo for executives, written in crayon so they could understand it. There was a noticeable change in the second episode and I just loved the style of it from then on.

I don't know what you saw that I didn't (or possibly what I saw that you didn't?) at this point in the marathon the pilot is my favorite episode!  I thought it was a great introduction to the cast.... and really enjoyed the case they worked on.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 12:44:30 AM »
The one thing I can't wait to happen is to get to the episodes where Bones has the new female boss. For some reason I never cared for her boss in the first season. All the other main characters I love... but him not so much. The female boss was much better. She seemed to fit with the group better.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 12:48:05 AM »

I don't know what you saw that I didn't (or possibly what I saw that you didn't?) at this point in the marathon the pilot is my favorite episode!  I thought it was a great introduction to the cast.... and really enjoyed the case they worked on.

It's the dumb convenience of everything. Angela meeting Bones at the airport and then the fight... c'mon! Ridiculous.  :P It might be a British thing, because I remember Rich saying he couldn't bear it either and I tried to persuade him to give episode 2 a chance. ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 12:59:47 AM »
Well both those things worked perfectly to me. Angela was there to pick up Brennen from the airport. So that is why she met her there. First thing Angela did was check the board to see if Brennen's plane arrived yet. And the board was flickering and not working... so she went to the counter to try to find out from the clerk. And I personally loved that she ripped her shirt open to get his attention when he ignored her!  :drooling:

It was also established throughout the first season that Brennen was into the martial arts and didn't like to be touched so when the guy grabbed her arm (without clearly stating he was with Home Security) she put him down. It was completely in character and seemed to work just fine to me.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 01:06:32 AM »
It wasn't so much what happened, but how. It did make sense Angela was there. Brennan would have been arrested, if not shot!

Nope, 2 out of 5 for the opener! :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 01:13:37 AM »
It wasn't so much what happened, but how. It did make sense Angela was there. Brennan would have been arrested, if not shot!

Nope, 2 out of 5 for the opener! :P

You are forgetting something. They knew who Brennen was from  the start. The Home Security guy was only holding her as a favor to Booth. It was basically a joke Booth was playing on Brennen. So Brennen would have never been in any danger of being arrested or hurt.

As for Angela... she was there to pick her friend up from the airport. That is a very natural and common thing. Not sure what you see wrong there.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 01:23:25 AM »

4. The Man in the Bear
Air Date: 11/1/05
Brennan and Booth travel to a small town in Washington to investigate the gruesome case of a human hand found inside a dead bear.

Guest Stars:
Alex Carter as Dr. Andrew Rigby
Marguerite MacIntyre as Dr. Denise Randall
Tom Kiesche as Sheriff Chris Scutter
Steve Reevis as Ranger Sherman Rivers
Rusty Joiner as Charlie

My Thoughts:
This is the best episode I seen since the pilot. An excellent episode. Loved the story... and enjoyed all the characters. I also thought it was hilarious how Zach and Hodgins reacted to the cute girl delivering packages. An excellent episode... remains one of my favorites.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 02:14:21 AM »

5. A Boy in a Bush

Air Date: 11/8/05
When the body of a young boy who has been sexually assaulted and murdered is discovered, Booth calls on Brennen to help find the killer.

Guest Stars:
Paul Butcher as Shawn Cook
Evan Ellingson as David Cook
Natacha Roi as Margaret Sanders
Michelle Anne Johnson as Sara Johnston
Paul Parducci as Captain Kyle Henning

My Thoughts:
Very good episode. A powerful storyline. But then I always found the storylines about young kids to be more dramatic. This is the episode where it comes out that Hodgins is rich.... and Angela has a hard time dealing with all that her job entails. That is until she is told how others view her job. I really like how this show is about more then the case they are working on.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 03:04:11 AM »

6. The Man in the Wall
Air Date: 11/15/05
A scuffle at a nightclub leads to the discovery of the mummified corpse of a hip-hop DJ.

Guest Stars:
Morris Chestnut as Agent Oakes
Bokeem Woodbine as Randall Hall
Anne Dudek as Tessa Jankow
Charles Duckworth as Rulz
Laz Alonso as George Warren

My Thoughts:
Not a bad episode... but definitely not a favorite of mine. The whole thing involving around a club and music labels really is lost on me. But I did like the mystery of the case.

My Rating:
Pete