Author Topic: Oh No! Not That!....  (Read 5316 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Oh No! Not That!....
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I'm glad you found something.  :)

My mom and step dad have a Sanyo in their family room.  I can't remember how old it is, but it has worked well for them.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 09:11:43 PM »
That is definitely good to hear!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 09:13:17 PM »
They've had it at least 5 years...probably longer.  Hmm....not sure if it has been 10 years yet or not.

kahless

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the old crt tv's have a longer livetime than the new flat tv's. My 2nd tv is a 15 years old Philips 27 inch. I'm getting too old to lift this heavy thing and I would really like to replace it with a flat tv. But my wife says, if this one is still living I can forget it. I'm thinking about an accident....  :whistle:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 09:22:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the old crt tv's have a longer livetime than the new flat tv's.

I've got an old 27" Curtis Mathes CRT down in my cellar that I bought in the spring of 1990. I used it for 10 yeras, then gave it to my in-laws when their set went down. They used it almost non-stop for 5 years, and when they passed away, I got it back. I use it now when I work out down stairs. Now that's craftmanship!  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 09:24:38 PM »
Yeah... this thing is heavy too... that was one of the worst things for me today... trying to heave it up high on top of that entertainment center by myself! Thought I was gonna pull something! :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 09:37:06 PM »
I still have fond memories of me and my dad fighting with my 32" widescreen CRT to get it upstairs! What an imposing beast. My new 42" flatscreen I could carry around on my own, but that thing had its own postcode.

Regards position, I prefer it to be slightly imposing. Higher and nearer, basically, than what you're supposed to have it.

Rogmeister

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 12:43:16 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of getting a new TV but I wonder if I really should as long as my old Sony is still working.   :tv:  Hmmm, that guy watching TV in that image could be Pete....the size of his TV is about right...  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 12:47:07 AM »
 :laugh:

I am enjoying watching The Hulk on here... He really looks big now!  :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 03:51:43 AM »
Well... I am back in business! I searched the area and got the best TV I could find used at a pawnshop at the next town over. It is still the old CLT style TV... but I was able to upgrade on size a little... went from a 20in to a 24in... but that was a big enough difference that it didn't fit inside my entertainment center. I had to rearrange it and put the TV on top of the entertainment center instead of inside.
Great you found something that quickly, and an upgrade too :)

Not sure what the Credit Lookup Tool has to do with TVs though :headscratch: :devil: I think you are profiling too much.

(click to show/hide)

My TV is fairly low, using what the furnished appartment provided. I'd say it's about 20" off the floor, but since it's a 46" screen I still look straight at it when placed on the couch.

hal9g

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 05:21:24 PM »
Glad you found something good so quickly, Pete.  I would hate to think of you huddling in a corner with the DTs, as you go through the painful withdrawal of DVD addiction!   :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2010, 09:38:33 PM »
I do think the color needs adjusting on this set a bit... it is a beautiful clear picture... but the colors just look a little off to me. And for the life of me... I just can't remember what DVDs I have that I can check the color on this thing. Anyone remember and titles off hand?
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2010, 09:41:25 PM »
Dick Tracy, they used the same generic, yet vibrant colors that the original comic strip used.

kahless

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2010, 09:48:06 PM »
A good way to calibrate your colors could be this:

1. Change to a news channel where you see a moderating person/news speaker
2. turn down the color until you have a black and white picture
3. now adjust the brightness and contrast until you can see clear details (knobs, patterns etc.)
4. now increase the color until you can see natural colors

If you have a kind of reference dvd you could perform the same procedure!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2010, 09:52:11 PM »
I seen something like that on a movie I reviewed recently... just can't remember the title now. I think the red is cranked up a little too much as seeing people looking like they have a sunburn. Green probably needs adjustment too... as The Hulk don't look quite right either while watching the old '70s/'80s Incredible Hulk. :P
Pete