Author Topic: Oh No! Not That!....  (Read 5317 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Oh No! Not That!....
« on: August 02, 2010, 01:05:33 PM »
Come on... not that!.... please not that!!!

I am afraid my TV is going up on me! And I will not be able to buy a new one... I just don't have the money to do it... just no extra money this month... especially since Brittany starts school back up at the end of this month. So I have clothes and school supplies to buy between this month and early next month.

Looks like I will have to see if I can find myself something cheap used at the local pawn shop.

This morning I turned on the power... and it instantly clicked back off. I must have hit that button between 20 or 30 times.. every time instantly clicking back off before it finally stayed on.

I get paid tomorrow... so hopefully I can get it to stay on until I can go see if I can find something tomorrow.  :weep:
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Oh No! Not That!....
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 02:54:44 PM »
Pete - please sign up for your local freecycle. I guarantee that you will find a TV and they are free. People upgrade all the time and post their old ones on this site. I've also seen TVs for free on craigslist:

http://www.freecycle.org/

http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:11:03 PM »
Apparently our local sucks... my brother has been on freecycle for several years  now and they don't give much away that is any use to us. He has been looking for a TV himself for the past year and never see them come up around here. Probably because we are basically in the boonies. And most people don't usually replace things around here until they have to.
Pete

Critter

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:17:09 PM »
It's a terrible thing when your TV dies on you. I remember when it happened to my old TV, the colour started to go, and then it would just turn itself off whenever it wanted. Once it even turned itself on, which was not only very annoying... but also highly terrifying.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:21:55 PM »
This one has a gorgeous picture and color... when it will stay on. Thankfully it has stayed on so far once I got it on today. But I had to turn it on almost 30 times before it would stay on.  But looking at it right now... I do notice it does look darker then it normally does. I think it is going pretty fast!
Pete

Touti

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 03:52:34 PM »
Pete have you looked inside your tv ?  Over the years they get dusty inside which often causes them to over heat and they start acting weird.  A few years ago I gave a 3 years old TV to my brother, less than 2 years later he bought a new saying that the one I gave him wasn't working well anymore.  It didn't make sense to me so I took it back, opened it to vacuum inside and made sure that the air vents on the casing were clean as well.  That was 2 years ago and I'm still using it in my bedroom.

You just have to be careful when cleaning it, use the brush on the vacuum cleaner and be careful not to touch anything with your fingers, there's a capacitor in TV's that holds a very very high voltage, you definitely don't want to get the discharge.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 04:04:16 PM »
I seriously doubt that this is the case... I just looked up the model TV I have... and it seems that there is a problem with the switches in these TVs... that they go up... and seems always shortly after the warentee is over.

http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/13185/RCA--tv-goes-on-and-off-by-itself/

There is a fix mentioned... but I wouldn't know how to go about doing it if I wanted to. And around here it would be cheaper to replace the set then get it fixed by a repairman.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:07:59 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 04:44:08 PM »
Just watching 1 episode of Witchblade the TV turned itself off 3 times in that 45 minutes. :(
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
Too bad you live too far away Pete... I have my old TV here sitting doing nothing since I got my new one last month and I can't rid of it (nobody I know need one).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 04:51:37 PM »
Now that just breaks my heart! Oh well... what can you do?  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 07:19:28 PM »
I found that the TV is turning itself off after approximately every 15 minutes of play. I definitely can't watch TV this way. So Britt and I just got back from town. I wanted to check out the consignment shop here in town... and boy was that a big mistake!

First I asked where their TV's were... and they had 4 TVs... all 4 blurry pictures... all four looked like they were older then Brittany is. And then they wanted $50 to $75 for them! I went to look at the back of one... just out of curiosity at this point. Saying I wanted to see how easily I can hook my DVD Player to it. And she obviously didn't know who she was talking to as she told me you hook up a DVD just like a VCR... that any DVD Player can hook to any DVD... just like a VCR! That's when I told her no... I know better then that.., that the DVD Player had to be hooked through the Red, Yellow and White inputs. She was like... Oh... well only this one has that... of course this was the most expensive one... at $75!  And still it had a pitiful picture on it.

So I was like come on Britt... and walked out of the little room with the TVs. That is when I saw the stack of DVDs they had. Looking at a small selection... I didn't see too much that interest me. That was until I spotted The Riddicks Chronicles... I knew that I already had it on the way... but I couldn't help but to pull it out of the stack just to look at and see what I had coming. I popped open the case (used... and not resealed) I thought ok... cool... single sided disc with generic disc art. I flipped the pages and what do I see? Disc 2 is completely missing! No notation about disc 2 missing or anything.

That is when I knew I would never walk back into that store. Seemed like to me it was nothing but a rip off place. Places like that really aggravate me!
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »
I guess they thought you'd hook up the DVD player with an aerial lead.  ::)

Don't just focus on RCA (the red white and yellow), as you surely have scart on the DVD as well? It's pretty standard now and easier to connect usually:

RossRoy

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »
We don't have SCART in North America.. I've never seen one anyway.

Pete, in this day and age, get a TV that can at the very least input S-Video.

Even better would be component (green, red, blue + red and white for audio). There should be decent used TV that have the components leads.

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 07:37:18 PM »
Oh, really? Wow.

Only word of warning with other connectors is Pete's DVD has to have them. I would doubt it has component as they're generally for progressive scan, so mid to high range players.

Touti

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 08:33:30 PM »
Jon the first DVD player I ever bought had component but not progressive scan, but then this was back in 2000 or 2001.  And Seb's right, there's not scart here, we North-Americans know better than that  :tease: