Author Topic: Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season
« on: August 01, 2010, 10:32:42 AM »
Laverne & Shirley: The Complete First Season

Give them any chance, they'll take it...read them any rule, they'll break it! They're Laverne & Shirley (Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams), the hilarious female duo who work as bottlecappers at the Shotz Brewery in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In Laverne & Shirley: The Complete First Season, you'll relive each laugh-filled moment in the premiere season of this wildly popular, best-loved sitcom, from its beginning as a spin-off from Happy Days to its triumph as an instant smash hit with TV audiences nationwide. A stellar supporting cast and sidesplitting situations are all part of the Laverne & Shirley hilarity presented on DVD in this three-disc set. From Lenny and Squiggy and Mrs. Babish to Carmine "The Big Ragu" Ragusa and Boo-Boo Kitty, the gang's all here!

1. The Society Party
2. The Bachelor Party
3. Bowling for Razzberries
4. A Nun's Story
5. Falter at the Alter
6. Dog Day Blind Dates
7. Once Upon a Rumor
8. One Flew Over Milwaukee
9. Dating Slump
10. It's the Water
11. Fakeout at the Stakeout
12. Hi, Neighbor
13. How Do You Say 'Are You Dead' in German?
14. From Suds to Stardom
15. Mother Knows Worst

My Thoughts

I use to watch this show all the time.  I think I just saw the first few seasons once they were in syndication.  I did remember at least some of most of these episodes.  Shirley didn't sound right during the first few episodes...Williams was doing a different voice for her at that point.  Some things that I remember turning up frequently in later seasons - Boo-Boo kitty and Shirley always writing in her diary - aren't mentioned much, but they are introduced. 

The show is very funny and I think the humor still works.  Some things are more dated, from the fact that the show is older and also because it was set in the late 1950's, but it is still really funny.  The plots of the episodes stand alone and are entertaining, though a few things continue to be brought up.  I do think the episodes on the set are either in a different order on the DVD, or they aired in an order different from they were filmed.  I've notice that with a few other shows too.  That doesn't make me enjoy it any less.  A lot of the humor is a bit silly, but it works well for the show. 

The characters are interesting and likable.  Laverne and Shirley, each with their own issues, have a believable friendship  Lenny and Squiggy are a bit weird, but they always make me laugh.  The girls receive the most attention since the show is focused on them.  Fonzie turns up in 2 episodes, mostly because this show is a spin off of Happy Days.  I think the girls show up on that show a few more times.

I'm glad that I finally picked up this set - along with the second season that I haven't gotten to yet.  Unfortunately, this is another one of the older series that the DVD releases have stalled out on.  I think four seasons are available, but the show lasted for..umm..7 maybe.  I can't remember now.  Anyway, there are still more seasons that need to be released.  Just like I am still waiting for the last season of Mork & Mindy.  There aren't any extras with this DVD set, which is a bit disappointing.  Despite that, I'm still happy to have it.

This is a good DVD set for fans of the show.

I did post a review on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 06:34:16 PM »
Well, I'm glad that we got at least the first four seasons. I'd like to have season five as well, provided that they include the crossover episode "Shotgun Wedding, part 1" from Happy Days. Season six is the one where they move to L.A., if I'm not mistaken, and that's where the show jumped the shark.

I would probably buy seasons six thru eight as well, if they released them, but they're not really high on my wish list.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:37:07 PM »
Right now I have this season and season 2.  I'll get 3 and 4 eventually...I'll watch for sales again. :)
I would get all the seasons just so I had the whole set.  I did like some of the episodes in California..but the show changed too much when Shirley left.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 10:49:03 PM »
I need a way to block this thread...every time I see it, I visual Laverne and Shirley dancing as they sing the theme song...I can't get it out of my head!  :voodoo:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 10:50:50 PM »
 :hysterical:
You mean you didn't enjoy their little song? 
 :hysterical: