Author Topic: Zorba the Greek  (Read 5487 times)

hal9g

Zorba the Greek
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:02:25 PM »

Title: Zorba the Greek: Fox Studio Classics
Year: 1964
Director: Michael Cacoyannis
Rating: NR
Length: 142 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Anthony Quinn
Alan Bates
Irene Papas
Lila Kedrova
Sotiris Moustakas

Plot:
When he hires an eccentric stranger named Zorba to work in a mine he inherited on Crete, Basil, a timid English writer (Alan Bates), finds himself drawn into a world far more exciting and dangerous than any he has known.

Zorba courts too many women, endures perils in the mine that scare off the other workers, and defies a group of men seeking vengeance on a young widow who has rejected their advances. Eventually, Zorba’s undying exuberance forces Basil to undergo a transformation into becoming a more active participant in his own life.

Brimming with “inspired acting, perfect direction, artful photography” (Cleveland Press) ‘Zorba The Greek’ is arguably one of the most passionate studies of human nature ever put to film.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Closed Captioned
Alternate Intro, Movietime News

My Thoughts:
A classic film, which has become known as Anthony Quinn’s greatest performance, pairs the carefree, full-of-life Zorba with the timid, scholarly Basil in a story about living life to the fullest and “learning how to dance” instead of mourn.  The scenery of the isle of Crete is magnificent, and really had me wondering why this movie was filmed in black-in-white in 1964.  Then I realized that it was a reflection of the harshness of the life there.  To think that Greece once reigned as one of the greatest, if not the greatest civilization the world has ever known, and then to see the barbarism that they actually practice, is quite astonishing.  The score, and particularly the theme song, is memorable, as any Yankee fan can attest to (used for many years to stir the crowds up).  The closing scene is unforgettable.  It’s no wonder this is a member of the Fox Studio Classics.  A great film!

Rating:

MEJHarrison

Re: Zorba the Greek
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 07:28:53 PM »
I have to say I like the Studio Classics line and have them all.  But this one didn't grab me so much the first time through.  It was good, but I some of the others from the series much more.  Of course my favorite from the entire series was The Ox-Box Incident, but that didn't get good reviews here.  Well, Rick gave it a crappy review. Antares seemed to like it. Guess Rick is outvoted! :P

Still, your review makes me want to get it another try.  Thanks.

hal9g

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 07:35:55 PM »
I have been expanding my horizons over the past couple of years with "foreign" films, to my delight, and think that has a lot to do with my enjoyment of this film.  I don't think I would have rated it this high if I had watched it three or four years ago.

lyonsden5

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »
Well, Rick gave it a crappy review. Antares seemed to like it. Guess Rick is outvoted! :P
I'm used to that.  :laugh: Many times I don't look "deep" enough into a movie. Can't be bothered. Either I liked it or I didn't. IF it takes too much effort on my part to enjoy it then typically I wont (not always the case, but usually).

I do enjoy the Fox Studio Classics series as well. I have them all but have only watched a handful. Zorba is not one I've watched yet. Might have to bump it up in the to watch pile.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »
I have been expanding my horizons over the past couple of years with "foreign" films, to my delight, and think that has a lot to do with my enjoyment of this film.  I don't think I would have rated it this high if I had watched it three or four years ago.

If you're just finding your way into foreign films, then let me suggest to you, the film that got me started with foreign films...

Il Postino

Prior to watching this, I couldn't watch any film with subtitles. This film changed my outlook on that. It came along at the right time. I had just inherited my parents 35" television, so subtitles weren't microscopic anymore, and the film is one of the most beautiful stories I've ever seen. I rank it almost as highly as I do Cinema Paradiso. Another film you should locate, also starring Phillipe Noiret.  :thumbup:

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 10:28:41 PM »
+1 for Cinema Paradiso, but for once, if you do look it up, go for the Theatrical Cut first. There is a longer Director's Cut, but for a first time viewing I think the original cut is more effective.

SailorRipley

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 10:32:41 PM »
+2 for Cinema Paradiso. I follow Jon's recommendation, CP should be seen first in its theatrical cut; however I do think the extended Director's Cut is is more introspective and for several reasons more satisfying in the end.

In short, love for cinema has never been as emotional and joyful than in this film (followed closely by Truffaut's Day for Night).

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
What?... no love for Il Postino?

SailorRipley

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 10:52:12 PM »
+2 for Il Postino. Old Michael Radford in top form.

It's one of those movies much acclaimed in its time (1995) but now almost forgotten, sadly. Miramax's frozen status (economic hell) is not helping either, thus denying us film geeks from a wonderful movie that needs a Blu-ray release now!

hal9g

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 12:40:58 AM »
Thanks guys.  I've added both to my wishlist.

So far, I've concentrated on Criterion Collection for my foreign films with only a few exceptions.

I'm watching mostly on a 26" widescreen LCD TV, so, I do often have trouble with the subtitles.  I may have to start watching these on my 42" plasma and move the chair a lot closer!   8)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 01:36:42 AM »
+2 for Il Postino. Old Michael Radford in top form.

It's one of those movies much acclaimed in its time (1995) but now almost forgotten, sadly. Miramax's frozen status (economic hell) is not helping either, thus denying us film geeks from a wonderful movie that needs a Blu-ray release now!

You have to admit, when Maria Grazia Cucinotta licks and rubs that Foos ball, it was for me, one of the most erotic scenes I had ever seen.

SailorRipley

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 03:36:29 AM »
You have to admit, when Maria Grazia Cucinotta licks and rubs that Foos ball, it was for me, one of the most erotic scenes I had ever seen.

Ooooh, who can ever forget that?

:devil: