Author Topic: Should I buy....  (Read 2169 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Should I buy....
« on: January 11, 2008, 09:23:28 PM »
OK... I am considering a complete blind buy of a couple different series...

- Nowhere Man: The Complete Series
This excellent, if short-lived, 1990s television show stars Bruce Greenwood as Thomas Vale, a photographer who took a picture that he wasn't supposed to, and suddenly finds himself the target of a massive conspiracy: every trace of evidence that he exists is suddenly and inexplicably wiped out. All 25 episodes are included here, as well as interviews and commentary with the cast and crew, deleted scenes, outtakes, and several intriguing featurettes.

This is a series from 1995... never even heard of before... just seen the boxset at a decent price so thought it was worth considering.. but would like some input from people that seen the series.

- Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition
Though it only lasted for two seasons, David Lynch's shockingly original TV drama TWIN PEAKS forever changed the face of primetime television. A bizarre, ingenious, hilarious, and terrifying murder-mystery set in the Pacific Northwest logging town of Twin Peaks, the series opened with the discovery of the body of Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee), a seemingly straitlaced high school student. Assigned to the case is FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan), a quirky man who converses regularly with Diane, his portable tape recorder. As Cooper settles into his life in Twin Peaks, he meets a revolving cast of characters who are all off-kilter in their own personal way. Gradually, the town's facade of extreme normality begins to crack mightily, revealing an endless barrage of schemes, fronts, and hidden relationships that expose Twin Peaks as the disturbed, unsettling town that it is. Long awaited by TWIN PEAKS fans, this special collection presents the complete series along with the show's shocking pilot which, due to legal entanglements, eluded previous sets.

This one I at least heard of... even though never seen a single episode. I hear it was a good series... and researched to find out what turns out to be a movie prequil (Fire Walk With Me) is not included in this set (so how is it the Definitive collection!?!?).. so I would be buying this movie separately at the same time... which means I need to ask... should I watch "Fire Walk With Me" first... or save it till the end as it would spoil the series for me?

Thanks in advance for any and all help! :)
Pete

richierich

Re: Should I buy....
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 10:29:31 PM »
never heard of the first one Pete, and not watched the 2nd, but can advise i saw cheap sale on the gold edition here - http://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2.php?product_code=2498063&subcat=region2&PURL=cd-wow.at/rpoints&P36=75FN62&CID=0&CTY=8

probably not worth it from USA though?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:33:21 PM »
Never seen either.  :surrender:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 10:33:45 PM »
Thanks... but unfortunately I can only play R1 discs  :bag:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 10:38:15 PM »
never heard of the first one Pete, and not watched the 2nd, but can advise i saw cheap sale on the gold edition here - http://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2.php?product_code=2498063&subcat=region2&PURL=cd-wow.at/rpoints&P36=75FN62&CID=0&CTY=8

probably not worth it from USA though?

I just checked a money converter... 33.99 GBP = 66.5094 USD... and I can get it at deepdiscount for $63.99... so still a good deal on my end. :)
Pete

m.cellophane

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 06:38:12 AM »

This one I at least heard of... even though never seen a single episode. I hear it was a good series... and researched to find out what turns out to be a movie prequil (Fire Walk With Me) is not included in this set (so how is it the Definitive collection!?!?).. so I would be buying this movie separately at the same time... which means I need to ask... should I watch "Fire Walk With Me" first... or save it till the end as it would spoil the series for me?

Thanks in advance for any and all help! :)
I would watch the TV series first.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 10:54:42 AM »
- Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition
I hear it was a good series... and researched to find out what turns out to be a movie prequil (Fire Walk With Me) is not included in this set (so how is it the Definitive collection!?!?)
I own the Gold Collection but haven't seen it yet. I saw Fire Walk With Me in the cinema bt don't remember it much (it appears that will be a good thing when I watch the series).

I think it's Definitive because David Lynch said so himself (I doubt he'd let them print it on the cover if he didn't really say it) and from what I understand he doesn't like the movie that much himself...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 12:15:28 PM »
Thanks everyone...
Between this site and some others I posted to... I think I will probably be buying both series on my next big order (about 3 weeks from now).
Pete