Author Topic: DCO fourth Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread  (Read 73301 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: DCO fourth Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2010, 04:02:27 AM »
I've fallen asleep watching movies before...but I have to have the tv on to sleep anyway.

Critter

« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2010, 04:04:48 AM »
I know a few people like that, both my Mum and my sister can't sleep unless they have radios on. I however am the complete opposite. I have to sleep in silence, even small noises can bother me when I try to go to sleep. I don't even like doing things such as listening to music on my ipod right before I try and sleep becuase I find I can't sleep as well.

I do however read everynight before I sleep. I find that I don't sleep well unless I at least read something. It could be as little as a couple of pages of a book, or just part of a magazine but as long as I read something then I am set.

RossRoy

« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2010, 04:08:45 AM »
I too need silence to sleep.. Well to fall asleep. Once I am sleeping, a train could pass through my room and I wouldn't flinch - I'd be making more noise than the train anyway!  :hysterical:

I also read every night, though I have a tendency to wait too long before going to bed so I often end up reading only 1 or 2 pages before falling fast asleep!

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2010, 04:13:09 AM »
I need sound to help me sleep, I grew up in a big city. When I first built the house I live in now, which is in a farming community, the quiet drove me nuts at night. I had to hook up a stereo system in the room and played a CD that simulated waves crashing at the beach.

Critter

« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2010, 04:16:13 AM »
I also read every night, though I have a tendency to wait too long before going to bed so I often end up reading only 1 or 2 pages before falling fast asleep!

This is the exact same situation I have. I sometimes force myself to go to bed an hour or so earlier than I normally would so that I can actually get a few chapters in, otherwise it would just be a couple of pages every night and I would never get books finished. For this reason also I also read lighter material sometimes before sleeping. I have things like manga, comics and magazines, as well as books all piled up around my bed.

I need sound to help me sleep, I grew up in a big city. When I first built the house I live in now, which is in a farming community, the quiet drove me nuts at night. I had to hook up a stereo system in the room and played a CD that simulated waves crashing at the beach.

Did this give you any weird dreams? Of sailing perhaps, or a Tsunami?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2010, 04:18:14 AM »
If it is quiet, I wake up.  There have been times when the electric has gone out while I've been asleep - from a storm or whatever - and I wake up as soon as the tv goes off.  There have been times that the ceiling fan is still spinning when I wake up when that happens.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2010, 04:18:52 AM »
Did this give you any weird dreams? Of sailing perhaps, or a Tsunami?

No, but originally I had a CD that was of a running brook, but I had to replace it because one night when I couldn't sleep, I figured out the looping edits on the discs, and that drove me nuts.  :bag: :laugh:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2010, 04:19:31 AM »
If it is quiet, I wake up.  There have been times when the electric has gone out while I've been asleep - from a storm or whatever - and I wake up as soon as the tv goes off.  There have been times that the ceiling fan is still spinning when I wake up when that happens.

This happens to me too.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2010, 04:37:57 AM »
Unfortunatly I have not yet trained myself to watch films in my sleep. I could see it happening some time in the future though  :P
I don't think she referred to you waking up late, but the fact that you let one day pass without watching a movie for the marathon. It's 7/2 already, have you slept through all of 7/1...?

Personlly I also need it quiet around me to fall asleep. Once asleep it depends on the kind of "disturbance" whether I will wake up or not. Obviously the need to pee will do it, but also an overly long small earthquake will eventually shake me awake. Noise depends on type and loudness. Occasionally my alarm clock will wake me up too.

Critter

« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2010, 04:49:14 AM »
It is the 2nd of July here. But to be honest I was a little lost on all the fine details of the marathon so I wasn't exactly sure when it would be starting. Which means I was just sort of waiting until I saw other people to start before I did. Since Australia is sort of in the future though that ended up with me missing a day  :laugh:

Rogmeister

« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2010, 05:17:59 AM »
I haven't gotten around to reviewing a film either.  I went off visiting my brother today and we had a dinner there.  Yes, I do have a life outside of this board!   :yellowcard:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2010, 06:06:40 AM »
Just finished The Young Victoria, I was somewhat disappointed with it.

I'm tempted to give this a try sometime because of Emily Blunt. Although ever since My Summer of Love, I was slightly underwhelmed by any subsequent movies she starred in.
Matthias

Critter

« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2010, 06:39:02 AM »

I'm tempted to give this a try sometime because of Emily Blunt. Although ever since My Summer of Love, I was slightly underwhelmed by any subsequent movies she starred in.

I think The Devil Wears Prada is one of her best films. Yes it's a somewhat chick-flick and yes, it's about fashion. But I believe the roles of Emily Blunt and Meryl Streep in it were outstanding and somewhat the films saving grace.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2010, 07:42:28 AM »

I think The Devil Wears Prada is one of her best films. Yes it's a somewhat chick-flick and yes, it's about fashion. But I believe the roles of Emily Blunt and Meryl Streep in it were outstanding and somewhat the films saving grace.

Well, at least it shows that she can do comedy as well. And I kinda like DWP too (in a guilty pleasure sort of way), but again we are talking about a whole different ballgame when it comes to Pawlikowski's film. Seriously.
Matthias

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2010, 08:00:50 AM »
I decided to keep my reviews in my regular review thread. Watched so far:

Title  Director  Rating 
S  Silent Hill (2006)  Christophe Gans  Mini Review
E  Elizabeth (UK 1998)  Shekhar Kapur  Mini Review
Matthias