Author Topic: DCO fourth Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread  (Read 73250 times)

RossRoy

Re: DCO fourth Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2010, 12:15:18 AM »
I've filled the list, but some will definitely change as the month moves along - Actually, my I movie has already changed since I received The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus for my birthday - So that'll become my I movie..

Also, I know I will receive Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium soon as another b'day gift - so that may take the place of my M (or maybe W)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2010, 12:18:01 AM »
I usually fill out the list in the beginning to make it faster choosing a movie at the evenings. But I usually change a lot of these during the month, when the mood strucks for a specific movie or when I receive something new which fits an open letter.

Critter

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2010, 01:21:11 AM »
I have filled out almost all of my list and that will do me for now. I will see how far I get with the titles I have filled out I think before I actually put a title in for everyone. If I get as far as watching all them then I will add more to finish off the alphabet.

Also:

EDIT: Thanks to whoever removed Marie and I conversation from the list thread. I was going to delete my posts in there earlier but I figured one of the admins would get to it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:33:38 AM by Critter »

Najemikon

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2010, 01:29:37 AM »
I'm toying with doing this, but if I do it will be deciding the titles on the fly...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2010, 03:38:09 AM »
most of those will be first watches but I noticed that I had seen all the movies I own for certain letters... I wanted all the films to begin with a letter but had no Q titles... I can't believe it!
Well, I own:
Q - The Winged Serpent (Larry Cohen monster movie)
The Quick and the Dead (Sam Raimi western)
Quantum of Solace (Bond)

Then there is Quigley Down Under...

I myself am uncertain what do do about X and Z.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2010, 03:45:36 AM »
Ahh.....that reminds me...my mom has Quigley Down Under...I could use that.  I only have Quick Change and Quantum of Solace and I think I've reviewed them both here.

Rogmeister

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2010, 05:42:37 AM »
Last time I guess I did like Tom did...I set titles apart in advance but did make changes.  I will probably set my movies apart soon...or maybe just mark possible choices on paper since I do have all of my westerns (except for a few special editions) all in one binder.  For Q, I would recommend Quigley Down Under as I enjoyed that a lot.  I actually have two westerns titled The Quick and the Dead...there's the Sam Raimi one that starred Sharon Stone but also an earlier one based on a Louis L'Amour novel that starred Sam Elliott and Kate Capshaw.  That was actually an HBO telefilm but it is on DVD...I've seen it recently for $5 at Wal-Mart.  For X, I'll probably choose an X-men movie as I've only seen the first one so far and for Y?  Maybe Young Frankenstein.  I don't have a lot of Y movies but I do have one or two others not counting You've Got Mail which I've already reviewed.

Rogmeister

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2010, 07:32:24 AM »
Well, I just took care of my "Z" title...I ordered a movie used that is costine me a penny...of course, with tax thrown in it comes to $2.99.  But that's still pretty good.  Let's just hope it arrives quickly.  I won't say what it is yet but it's one that's already been reviewed by, I think, 3 other people... 8)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2010, 07:35:35 AM »
I have seen Quigley Down Under before.  i did like it.
I think my mom has the Quick and Dead with Sam Elliot too.  She saw the one with Sharon Stone and didn't like it.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2010, 08:57:07 AM »
She saw the one with Sharon Stone and didn't like it.
Well, it is different.

It has a strong female lead, but it also has Leonardo DiCaprio, Russell Crowe and of course Gene Hackman. The visual style however is not like typical westerns, it looks like a Sam Raimi film. And it's all simply built around a dueling contest.

It's the only film where Sam Raimi didn't use his car :laugh: (a 1973 Delta 88 Oldsmobile, if the internet sources are correct).

snowcat

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2010, 10:05:18 AM »
Good luck finding your x and z films achim! I think I'm already thinking about changing some of mine oh well :p as long as I complete it this year!

hal9g

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2010, 04:11:27 PM »
I've entered all titles in the other thread, however, they are definitely subject to change.  I am also assuming that they do not actually have to be watched in alphabetical order, as I will surely jump around depending on my mood.  Right now I've listed Quantum of Solace for "Q", X-Men II for "X" and Zorba the Greek for "Z".  I've had Zorba for ever (in my Fox Studio Classics collection) and never watched it!   :(

X-men and Quantum are more recent purchases, but still unwatched.   :slaphead:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2010, 04:22:34 PM »
I am also assuming that they do not actually have to be watched in alphabetical order, as I will surely jump around depending on my mood.
You assume correctly.

Some people have done it in the past, i think, but most wanted to remain flexible.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Even though I have some "Q" movies (Quantum of Solace, Quiz Show and Queen of the Damned) I don't want to watch any of these at this time. I probably will follow Emma's example and watch Galaxy Quest instead.
I also have a problem with "X". I have all four X-Men movies, but I am not sure if I want to watch these now. Maybe I will watch the first one, because I haven't seen this one the longest (four years).

Rogmeister

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »
I was thinking of watching TeXas as my "X" movie.  Is that allowed?  ::)