Author Topic: Tom's Time-Travel Movie Reviews  (Read 135793 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Time-travel Movies
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2008, 08:48:07 PM »
     Il Mare (2000/South Korea)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(Korea)
Director:Hyun-seung Lee
Writing:Eun-Jeong Kim (Screenwriter), Ji-na Yeo (Screenwriter)
Length:96 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio:Korean: Dolby Digital 5.1, Korean: DTS 5.1
Subtitles:English, Korean

Stars:
Jung-Jae Lee as Han Sung-hyun
Ji-hyun Jun as Kim Eun-ju
Mu-saeng Kim
Seung-Yeon Jo
Yun-jae Min

Plot:
A woman moves out of her beautiful seaside home named Il Mare. She leaves a letter in the mailbox, but somehow it is delivered back in time to Sang-hyun, the previous owner of the house. Upon receiving the letter, Sang-hyun, a gifted young architect, refuses to believe that the writer lives two years in the future. Nonetheless the two take up a written correspondence.

The woman asks Sang-hyun to recover a tape recorder which she lost in the subway station two years hence. As he arrives at the station, he sees a beautiful woman boarding the train, accidentally leaving her tape recorder behind...

Directed by Lee Hyun-seung, "A Love Story" (Il Mare) is one of the masterpieces of Korean romantic movies and is often compared to the Japanese great hit "Love Letter." The film also hit on Pusan International Film Festival in 2001.

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Includes OST CD + postcards Limited Edition
  • Music Videos
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
Another movie the Americans had to remake because they do not like movies which they haven't done themselves :laugh:
It is essentially the same movie as "The Lake House". I liked both. The only real difference is the ending. I prefer the "Lake House" ending but it could be a matter of what you have seen first. Both ending produce a time paradox but I feel that the one in the US version can be explained away whereas with the original Korean ending that is not possible.
I willl probably watch "The Lake House" again soon to refresh my memory and give a better opinion of which movie I find superior.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:08:21 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2008, 08:52:06 PM »
and is often compared to the Japanese great hit "Love Letter."

I have to quote myself here. While posting I read the overview the first time and I noticed this. Seems I have another movie to look out for  :laugh:
As a matter of fact I have another movie in my collection with the same title. It has a similar theme as "Il mare". It was an American TV movie from 1998 where the two main characters corresponded via mail across a time difference of about 100 years.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2008, 03:24:53 PM »
     The Lake House (2006/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Alejandro Agresti
Writing:David Auburn (Screenwriter)
Length:98 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Keanu Reeves as Alex Wyler
Sandra Bullock as Kate Forster
Christopher Plummer as Simon Wyler
Ebon Moss-Bachrach as Henry Wyler
Willeke Van Ammelrooy as Kate's Mother

Plot:
Dr. Kate Forster has finally found romance. Trouble is, it's a long-distance relationship. She's in downtown Chicago. He's in a remote lakeside suburb. And there's more: She's in 2006. He's in 2004.

Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock team for the first time since Speed for this heart-lifting story of a love that transcends time. It begins when Kate moves out of her visually stunning lake house and leaves a note for the next tenant, architect Alex Wyler. They begin a correspondence and soon come to realize they are meant for each other...and that, somehow, they live two years apart. Can they ever meet? What would happen if they tried? Magical and emotionally rich, The Lake House is a love story for 2004, for 2006, for all times.

Awards:
Won:
Teen Choice Awards (2006)  Movies - Choice Liplock (Sandra Bullock, Keanu Reeves)
Nominated:
Teen Choice Awards (2006)  Movies - Choice Chick Flick

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Outtakes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
In my opinion one of the few cases where the remake has been executed well and does not have to hide behind the original. And now seeing it again after watching the original, I still think the ending of "The Lake House" is better. Peter, I can also recommend it to you. You are correct, Keanu Reeves is not a good drama actor and he is the weak point here acting-wise but not that bad, to avoid this movie altogether. As compensation we have Sandra Bullock :Smiley:

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:09:36 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2008, 05:56:49 PM »
     Happy Accidents (2000/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

MGM Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Brad Anderson
Writing:Brad Anderson (Writer)
Length:111 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Marisa Tomei as Ruby Weaver
Vincent D'Onofrio as Sam Deed
Holland Taylor as Therapist
Mick Weber as Floor Supervisor
Nadia Dajani as Gretchen

Plot:
Academy Award® winner* Marisa Tomei (In the Bedroom) and Vincent D'Onofrio (Men in Black) star in this "touching love story" (Boxoffice) about a neurotic New Yorker, her highly eccentric boyfriend and their extraordinary connection. "Cleverly plotted [with] an abundance of heart" (The New York Times), this captivating romance will make you crazy...for love!

Ruby (Tomei) is a hopeless romantic who's always attracted to the wrong kind of guy until she meets Sam (D'Onofrio). He's sweet, sensitive, sincere...and from the year 2470. Despite – or maybe because of – his bizarre claims to have traveled back in time to save her, Ruby falls for Sam. And while common sense says he's crazy, her heart says he's the one.

*1992: Supporting Actress, My Cousin Vinny

Awards:
Won:
National Board of Review Awards, USA (2001)  Special Recognition

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned
  • Commentary
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A good movie. It keeps you guessing until the end, if Sam is really a time-travellor or simply crazy.

At this line in this movie I had to think of you, Pete:
- Do you like music?
- Yeah, doesn't everybody?
:devil:

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:10:48 PM by Tom »

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2008, 04:08:11 PM »
The only real difference is the ending. I prefer the "Lake House" ending but it could be a matter of what you have seen first. Both ending produce a time paradox but I feel that the one in the US version can be explained away whereas with the original Korean ending that is not possible.

Originally Il Mare ended right after she puts the letter in the letter-box. The Korean audience however disliked the sad ending during the first screening, therefor the additional scene at the end where the guy actually lives was re-shot.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »
Thanks for the review Tom; I've added Happy Accidents to my wish list. I've always liked Vincent D'Onofrio and look forward to seeing this movie.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2008, 12:32:13 AM »

At this line in this movie I had to think of you, Pete:
  - Do you like music?
  - Yeah, doesn't everybody?
 :devil:

LOL... believe me I have heard the same type of stuff all my life. But what really gets me... people actually saying they don't believe me. I mean come on... why would I lie about something like that? A lot of people think I am completely weird because I don't like music... but that is ok... not like I can help it.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2008, 12:38:48 AM »
But it's so hard to understand, Pete! What about the five notes from Close Encounters at least?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2008, 12:47:40 AM »
There was 5 notes in Close Encounters?

To be completely honest... never even seen the movie before. Remember until recently I wouldn't watch anything I considered old... and the line I drew was 1980... so I am still having to catch up on a many... MANY movies made before 1980 But yes I know there was some sort of tune or something from the space ship... but that is about all I know.  :bag:
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2008, 01:29:57 AM »
There was 5 notes in Close Encounters?

:laugh:

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2008, 02:11:43 AM »
Just for Tom I'll watch Lake House. I used to like Sandra Bullock, she was hot in Speed (which for some weird reason also features Keanu).
However, Keanu will ever be Ted for me. "Party on dude"

lyonsden5

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2008, 05:28:26 PM »
I used to like Sandra Bullock, she was hot in Speed
Perhaps, but she was super hot in Demolition Man :drooling:

However, Keanu will ever be Ted for me. "Party on dude"

Agree.  :laugh:

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2008, 06:31:33 PM »
I used to like Sandra Bullock, she was hot in Speed
Perhaps, but she was super hot in Demolition Man :drooling:

Agree :drooling:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2008, 08:59:18 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Idaho Transfer
Year: 1973
Director: Peter Fonda
Rating: PG
Length: 85 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo

Stars:
Kelly Bohanon
Kevin Hearst
Caroline Hildebrand
Keith Carradine
Dale Hopkins

Plot:
A secret scientific project sends a group of young Idaho college students 56 years into the future... to the year 2044. Their mission is unknown, but the pieces of the puzzle slowly fall into place when they find out that all of humanity has been wiped out by an environmental holocaust. In order to save the human race, a handful of youths from the past must permanently settle in the ecological nightmare of this future world. As a few of the students travel even further ahead in time, they are relieved to learn that humankind has recovered from the edge of extinction... or has it?

Filmed at the Craters of the Moon National Monument in Butte County, Idaho, this film is noted for its stunning location shots, haunting cinematography, and simple yet effective special effects.

Extras:
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:

Not my cup of tea. It is a little slow for my taste. Maybe it is a movie which gets better when you watch it a second time.

Rating:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:47:27 PM by TomGaines »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2008, 09:29:44 PM »
Sorry that you have not like it. I agree with you that it's not an action pack movie, but sometimes a slower movie can be good. Even me I have not watch it longer my first try :yawn: not in the mood for it. But give it another chance when you will be in the mood for an "Autor Time-travel Movie" and you'll be surprise.