Author Topic: Toy Story 3  (Read 17365 times)

Critter

Re: Toy Story 3
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2010, 12:31:04 AM »
:o
Really? Damn. How the buggery bollocks do Pixar manage to keep re-inventing themselves? All power to them... :thumbup:

I once read a quote in an article that went like this: "No one in Hollywood knows anything, but Pixar know everything". It made me laugh but it's also a bit true. How many other studios have had every single one of their films be not only a box office but a critical hit as well? It must really build the pressure up on them.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2010, 12:54:03 AM »
Really? Damn. How the buggery bollocks do Pixar manage to keep re-inventing themselves? All power to them... :thumbup:

I once read a quote in an article that went like this: "No one in Hollywood knows anything, but Pixar know everything". It made me laugh but it's also a bit true. How many other studios have had every single one of their films be not only a box office but a critical hit as well? It must really build the pressure up on them.

I was saying to my wife after the film, that Pixar has surpassed artistically, everything Disney has done since its creation back in the 20's. I really can't think of anything by them that even comes close to the output of Pixar in the 15 years..

Najemikon

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2010, 01:03:22 AM »

I was saying to my wife after the film, that Pixar has surpassed artistically, everything Disney has done since its creation back in the 20's. I really can't think of anything by them that even comes close to the output of Pixar in the 15 years..

Not sure. It's hard to put things into context. Can you imagine seeing Snow White for the first time when no-one thought a "cartoon" could be a feature? It must have been magical. They've seriously lost their way several times and I haven't been remotely interested in The Lion King or anything since. Except maybe the new one, The Princess Frog, as they seemed to have rallied themselves.

In one of the reviews I saw, they mentioned something I think might be true. That Disney still know how to do a fairytale better than anyone.

But then, Pixar haven't tried one yet, have they? ;)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2010, 01:39:25 AM »
I'm afraid I have to disagree with the comments about Disney. It is important to remember that the house of Pixar is built on the foundation of Disney. Many of the the people that work at Pixar apprenticed at Disney and credit much of what they do to the Nine Old Men of Disney.

Or, as John Lasseter puts it: "For many of us at Pixar, it was the magic of Disney that influenced us to pursue our dreams of becoming animators, artists, storytellers and filmmakers," said Lasseter in the release. "For 20 years we have created our films in the manner inspired by Walt Disney and the great Disney animators - great stories and characters in an environment made richer by technical advances. It is exciting to continue in this tradition with Disney, the studio that started it all."
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:10:09 AM by Kathy »

Critter

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2010, 02:02:08 AM »
In one of the reviews I saw, they mentioned something I think might be true. That Disney still know how to do a fairytale better than anyone.

But then, Pixar haven't tried one yet, have they? ;)

I read that Pixar's next non sequel, Brave will be somewhat following the Disney Princess trend. I even heard that the princess in it will become one of the Disney princess merchendising group. I'm not sure how I feel about that, even though Disney bought out Pixar I personally still see them as two different studios, the idea of the characters mixing in that way just doesn't sit well with me.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2010, 04:54:31 AM »
Lasseter is the head of all animation at Disney now...and I think that is why their movies are getting better.  Bolt was really good..and that was the first made after Lasseter was in charge. 

Lasseter and the others at Pixar have said how their love of Disney animation is what got them to follow these careers.  And they still really respect that history and feel that there is still a place for traditional hand drawn animation.  In The Pixar Story, it is briefly touched on how Eisner shut that down before he got booted, and the guys at Pixar talked about how horrible they felt about that. 

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2010, 05:03:55 AM »
I guess it comes down to my preference in my childhood for Warner Bros. While my sisters and I saw all of the Disney stuff , and we liked it, it never was able to dislodge what Looney Tunes was for me.

But my point was that Pixar have been getting better with each successive feature that they release. Sure they started at Disney, but Disney became a money sucking whore in the late 80's and 90's, I know, I worked at a hotel on their property for 3 years back in the early 90's. I didn't work for them, but I saw the transformation first hand when Eisner was the CEO.

Their films became too laden with songs and it was obvious that they were losing their creative touch when it came to the stories.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2010, 05:05:06 AM »
Oh, by the way, what did everyone think of the Tangled trailer?

To me, it looked awful.

Critter

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2010, 05:10:35 AM »
I saw the trailer for Tangled, MegaMind and Despicible Me and I think all three looked awful. I was so hoping that I would see The Guardians of Gahoole trailer but it didn't show  :(

Not all of the early Pixar staff worked at Disney, but they were all long-term fans of the company. I think that when Lasseter originally worked at Disney he didn't enjoy it becuase he felt suffocated. I remember him trying to do things his way but they wouldn't allow it. No wonder he feels so much more freedom with Pixar. In the end it's very ironic that he ended up back at Disney.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2010, 05:27:35 AM »
I thought Tangled looked like it could be ok. Not up to the caliber of Beauty and the Beast, but still ok.  It looks entertaining to me anyway.

Critter

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2010, 05:32:01 AM »
I actually didn't mind the visual look of Tangled, I thought the backgrounds looked beautiful and the character design was interesting, I just didn't like the look of what was happening. I mean since when can she actually control her hair in a way that she can beat people up with it? And that whole joke with "The smoulder" felt very cheap and Dreamworks-like to me, I didn't find anything in that trailer funny. But then again, I ended up enjoying Bolt more than I thought I would so you never know.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2010, 05:34:02 AM »
felt very cheap and Dreamworks-like to me,

That was my sentiments exactly.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2010, 06:17:27 AM »
Tangled didn't have me impressed either. Just as you say, more of the DreamWorks fare :shrug:

@Jon
What are you waiting for? Ticket prices going down?

Critter

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2010, 06:19:18 AM »
I second that notion, you are seeing it soon right Jon? ....  :voodoo:

I'm just kidding, you take all the time you need...only take it quickly and see it this week  ;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2010, 06:22:56 AM »
Yes Jon....we're waiting....not so patiently anymore...so hurry up and see it already.