Author Topic: Hello There... :)  (Read 6828 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Hello There... :)
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 12:19:20 PM »
On the other hand I have Music CD's thats 20 years old and still playing just fine... I've never seen any fogs on my old cd's...

That's because CDs have only one layer of plastic whereas DVDs have two plastic layers put together and CD normally come in CD cases (without any glue).
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 01:02:38 PM »
Welcome justmen!

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 02:30:29 PM »
Someone mentioned a while back that they had a DVD that would not play. I think they said they placed it in pipping hot water, dried it off and it worked again. Of course you should only do this if the DVD is shot.

I couldn't find the original post or even if I am remembering this exactly right so I hope whoever tried this will chime in.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 02:38:01 PM »
Yeah... that was my post Kathy... and I was just about to mention it. I did this successfully a couple times now with such fog on the disc.

What I did was boil some water... then took it off the stove and placed the DVD in it data side down.  left it in there for a good 30 secs... then I took it out and dried it. You still see the fog on the disc.. but now the disc plays every time.

But it don't always work... as I had to replace one disc with this fog on it.... where the boiling just didn't help for some reason.
Pete

MEJHarrison

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 07:32:01 PM »
I toss my DVDs into the boiling water and leave them for a minute or two.  It's worked for me.  But I've mainly done it with audio CDs.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 08:23:51 PM »
Wich made me think I haven't tried this with my Postal dvd... But the canadian edition is so cheap that it's probably less trouble to order the US released of this film.

kahless

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 08:27:43 PM »
Wich made me think I haven't tried this with my Postal dvd... But the canadian edition is so cheap that it's probably less trouble to order the US released of this film.

You're talking about the Uwe Boll movie?  :o

To be honest I wouldn't replace any of my Boll movies...  :devil:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 08:45:52 PM »
But I'm a fan, I own most of his movies and I can't wait for the released of Rampage ;D
It's so sad that his german works released in your country aren't re-released with english subtitles. :(

kahless

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 09:03:38 PM »
But I'm a fan, I own most of his movies and I can't wait for the released of Rampage ;D
It's so sad that his german works released in your country aren't re-released with english subtitles. :(

Yes, regretfully no English subtitles but with English audiotrack!

E.g. R2 German releases:

- Dungeon Siege             
- Tunnel Rats
- Seed (German release is cut)
- BloodRayne 1&2
- Far Cry
- Siegburg (German release is cut)
- Rampage (Release end of July but cut)

Source: www.ofdb.de

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:07:13 PM by kahless »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 09:15:39 PM »
Yes, regretfully no english subtitles but with English audiotrack!
I talked of his first four movies

German Fried Movie
Barschel - Mord in Genf?
Amoklauf
Das erste Semester

They are available here in a collection, but only in german with no english subtitles. Wich to be polite doesn't make any sense :shrug:

kahless

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 09:23:27 PM »
Yes, regretfully no english subtitles but with English audiotrack!
I talked of his first four movies

German Fried Movie
Barschel - Mord in Genf?
Amoklauf
Das erste Semester

They are available here in a collection, but only in german with no english subtitles. Wich to be polite doesn't make any sense :shrug:

I see. The German releases are from zyx. This label has only German audio and subtitles.

But this one has English subtitles:

http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=31770&vid=271341

Edit:
This movie is on an index in Germany (no online purchase) but available in Austria:

http://shop.dtm.at/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=amoklauf&x=0&y=0
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:33:58 PM by kahless »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 03:13:54 AM »
I had three or four rotten DVD and couldn't repair them. tried the boiling water once and it didn't work that time. I replaced to of them, a thrid one was double-dipped any way.

The double-dipped one is Phantasm, which wouldn't play in any of my DVD players, but when I tried that later it worked in my computer :stars: (haven't tried again since. I am only keeping it for the cover art ;)

Alien Redrum

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2010, 06:16:23 PM »
Hi!

I haven't boiled any DVDs yet.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2010, 06:32:58 PM »
Edit:
This movie is on an index in Germany (no online purchase) but available in Austria:

http://shop.dtm.at/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=amoklauf&x=0&y=0
Thanks for the edit, since I can't find a way to order in your first link (of course it didn't help that I understand nothing :laugh:). Bookmark your second one and will order it at the end of this summer.

But once again the shipping will cost me more than the dvd itself... Why the only european country who doesn't overcharge the international shipping is the good old England? France cost a fortune, Germany also and most of the others country I ordered from...

kahless

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2010, 08:11:31 PM »
[..]
But once again the shipping will cost me more than the dvd itself... Why the only european country who doesn't overcharge the international shipping is the good old England? France cost a fortune, Germany also and most of the others country I ordered from...

I have no clue!  :shrug: On the other side, when I ordered DVd's from amazon.com in USA, I do not remember any significant shipping rates or taxes. Maybe it could be cheaper for you to find a reliable contact/friend  in Europe who purchases a DVD and send it to Canada?