Author Topic: Hello There... :)  (Read 6819 times)

Rogmeister

Re: Hello There... :)
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »
Hi, I'm Roger.  I live in West Virginia with my 2 cats.  Cindy is in my profile photo with me.  My other is just a kitten I took possession of only last week.  I forget when I got my first DVD player...I know it's been awhile.  I had it long enough that it went bad a year or so ago.  My first DVD was "Contact".  And I have no idea how many DVDs I have as I don't really use any kind of filing system.  But I know I have a bit over 300 western movies  :P

kahless

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »
When did you start collecting Buddy ? I started back in 1998... :)
I don't remember exactly.  :-[
If memory serves me correctly I think I started collecting dvd's about 2001 (+/- 2 years)

I went through your collection they are cool... :)

Are they R1 or R2 DVD's ?

Mostly R2 and only a few R1 (to my shame I have to admit that I prefer German audio-track  :-[)

kahless

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 03:10:59 PM »
Hi, I'm Roger.  I live in West Virginia with my 2 cats. [...]

Nice to see another cat-lover here!  :)

hal9g

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
Welcome aboard, justmen.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 04:58:47 PM »
Welcome

snowcat

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »
Welcome :)

Halo2

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 07:26:38 PM »
Welcome justmen. Hope you enjoy your stay here. I started collecting in 1997, used an Excel spreadsheet and then started using DVDPro in 2002.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 08:14:10 PM »
Welcome! :)
I started collecting DVDs in 1997 and been using DVD Profiler since 2000. I mostly like horror movies and collecting TV Series. You can see my collection by clicking on the globe under my avatar (which is a pic of my daughter and I).
Pete

MEJHarrison

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »
Welcome!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 09:23:22 PM »
Hi.  Welcome to the board. :)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 09:35:25 PM »
Hello and Welcome

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

justmen

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 09:14:20 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thank You Very Much for your warm welcome... :)

Have any of you experienced what is known as DVD-ROT ? The disc will just not play any more for some unknown reason... Therefore it is advisable for you to back-up your collections... :)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 09:20:44 AM »
Sometimes some of the cases (e.g. digipaks) have a glue that dissipates. It leaves a white fog on the disc. You can clean them up using dish liquid which you carefully disperse with you fingers. Then you clean it with warm water and dry it using paper towels.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

kahless

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 09:46:03 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thank You Very Much for your warm welcome... :)

Have any of you experienced what is known as DVD-ROT ? The disc will just not play any more for some unknown reason... Therefore it is advisable for you to back-up your collections... :)

I'm aware of at least two discs in my collection (Indiana Jones Paramount DVD Movie Collection) with this white fog. Regretfully the cleaning procedure as described by DJ Doena did not work. I suppose I have to buy a new one. The other one is the Terminator in a digipack. So far this disc works perfectly in all players.

justmen

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
Sometimes some of the cases (e.g. digipaks) have a glue that dissipates. It leaves a white fog on the disc. You can clean them up using dish liquid which you carefully disperse with you fingers. Then you clean it with warm water and dry it using paper towels.

I have Pearl Harbor (4-Disc) the Disc 3 is in perfect condition with No Fog, No Scratch, Etc. but still when I try to play it the player would refuse and sometimes just Ejects the disc. It used to play fine when it was still new... :)

On some discs I can also see that the Glue that bounds the layer together starts ti deteriorate useally starting from the Outer Edges... :)

There are also disc with Fogs INSIDE them and you can't clean them off... :)

On the other hand I have Music CD's thats 20 years old and still playing just fine... I've never seen any fogs on my old cd's...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:02:10 AM by justmen »