Author Topic: dfmorgan's Studio Ghibli Marathon  (Read 38052 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
dfmorgan's Studio Ghibli Marathon
« on: June 09, 2010, 12:25:17 AM »
NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind

Castle in the Sky

Grave of the Fireflies

My Neighbor Totoro

Kiki's Delivery Service

Only Yesterday

Porco Rosso

Ocean Waves

Pom Poko

Whisper of the Heart

Princess Mononoke

My Neighbors The Yamadas

Spirited Away

The Cat Returns

Howl's Moving Castle

Tales from Earthsea

Ponyo

The above is my complete Studio Ghibli collection in, as far I can ascertain, publication order. Ratings will be added to each once I have watched and reviewed them.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 08:47:27 PM by dfmorgan »
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Najemikon

Re: dfmorgan's Studio Ghibli Marathon
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 12:27:57 AM »
 :redcard:

No! You mustn't! You'll make me buy things! :fingerchew: :laugh:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 12:31:37 AM »
I'm glad you created this thread. I've always wanted to see Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away. This just reminded me to add them to my library queue.  :thumbup:

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 12:32:06 AM »
:redcard:

No! You mustn't! You'll make me buy things! :fingerchew: :laugh:

How can you not buy Studio Ghibli ;)? Ok maybe not all but at least Hayao Miyazaki's titles  ;D. One thing I will have to watch Grave of the Fireflies to the end this time.

Dave
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 12:35:39 AM »
I'm glad you created this thread. I've always wanted to see Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away. This just reminded me to add them to my library queue.  :thumbup:

No problemo. Spirited Away is wonderful. I haven't managed to watch  Grave of the Fireflies all the way through, not that there's a problem with the film just the subject matter I found hard to handle.

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 12:43:51 AM »

No problemo. Spirited Away is wonderful. I haven't managed to watch  Grave of the Fireflies all the way through, not that there's a problem with the film just the subject matter I found hard to handle.

Dave

Being a military history buff, GotF is the one film I've been wanting to see for years. The problem is, I'm not a fan of anime. I don't know why, but I have a hard time getting into one of the films. I always tend to think Speed Racer is going to show up in the next scene with that annoying little monkey.  :shrug:

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 01:10:18 AM »
Ah, then Dave's thread could be an eye opener for you. Ghibli is notable for it's refined approach. Grave its possibly one of the best war dramas I have ever seen, animated or not.

I do have several, Dave, it's just somehow I expect to have more soon. And it will be your fault. :bag:

Critter

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 01:49:05 AM »
 :celebrate:
 :yahoo:
 :bow:

I ah... am quite excited about this marathon. I only have three Ghbili films myself on DVD, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Ponyo. I have seen most of them though. I would one day like to own more of them but it just hasn't worked out so far. They are certainly one of my all time favourite animation studios in the world though.

W0m6at

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 03:16:35 AM »
The above is my complete Studio Ghibli collection in, as far I can ascertain, publication order. Ratings will be added to each once I have watched and reviewed them.

Dave
Panda Kopanda is often lumped in with Ghibli's films, partly because members of the crew continued on to Ghibli, and partly because Papa Panda is considered a Totoro pre-cursor.
Ghibli also did Iblard Jikan, which is paintings with minimal animation introduced to them (all set to music).
They've also done a documentary or two.

What you have listed is generally considered canonical though.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 04:12:07 AM »
Ah, then Dave's thread could be an eye opener for you. Ghibli is notable for it's refined approach. Grave its possibly one of the best war dramas I have ever seen, animated or not.

I do have several, Dave, it's just somehow I expect to have more soon. And it will be your fault. :bag:

And here it is usually your fault when people buy more..or at least when I buy Blu-rays. ;)

:laugh:

I have a few of those...like 5 or 6.  I have to look again.  I hadn't heard of some of those.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 06:38:30 AM »
I own NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind and Castle in the Sky, both great films that came recommended by my Taiwanese friend. Looking forward to read more reviews.

I have Ponyo wish listed and also would like to get Spirited Away. I am scared to watch Grave of the Fireflies, I get emotional easily.

RossRoy

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 03:35:08 PM »
I am scared to watch Grave of the Fireflies, I get emotional easily.

Don't be. It's a wonderful movie.

(click to show/hide)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 04:17:44 PM »
Panda Kopanda is often lumped in with Ghibli's films, partly because members of the crew continued on to Ghibli, and partly because Papa Panda is considered a Totoro pre-cursor.
Ghibli also did Iblard Jikan, which is paintings with minimal animation introduced to them (all set to music).
They've also done a documentary or two.

What you have listed is generally considered canonical though.

:thanks: W0m6at. I have
Panda! Go Panda!

which is the US release from Pioneer so I may well review that after completeing the 17 above.

:thanks: thanks to everyone else for all the other comments as well. I'm looking forward to doing this and hopefully I will manage to watch one or two a week. I have managed to locate 11 of the titles in my higgledy-piggledy filing system, discs are placed whereever there is a free space, and will look for the remainder over the next couple of days.

Tomorrow I am intending to commence with the viewings so a review should appear during the evening. I've said it before, and I will say it again here, I try to watch my films in original language with English subtitles whereever possible therefore I will be watching these in Japanese with English subtitles. If I should decide to watch the English dub, for whatever reason, I will clearly state that within the review.

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 05:41:05 PM »
I am scared to watch Grave of the Fireflies, I get emotional easily.
Don't be. It's a wonderful movie.
Didn't watch it yet, since I got it because of your review. Not that I don't want to, but I never got the right mood to watch it.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 05:55:28 AM »
Being a military history buff, GotF is the one film I've been wanting to see for years. The problem is, I'm not a fan of anime. I don't know why, but I have a hard time getting into one of the films. I always tend to think Speed Racer is going to show up in the next scene with that annoying little monkey.  :shrug:
I'm not a big fan of anime, either, but I must say that I find Studio Ghibli in general - and Hayao Miyazaki's titles in particular - to be a cut above the rest. I doubt very much that you'll expect Speed Racer to turn up when you watch GoTF. It's a wonderful film. Give it a chance, I'm sure you won't regret it.