Author Topic: Zoom: Academy for Superheroes  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Zoom: Academy for Superheroes
« on: June 08, 2010, 09:14:45 AM »

Buckle up and prepare for a ride that's out of this world! When Earth is threatened with imminent destruction, an out-of-shape, out-of-work and over-the-hill former superhero is called back into action to save the day.

That hero is Jack Sheppard a.k.a "Captain Zoom" (Tim Allen). The problem is he's lost all his powers. And now, it's up to General Larraby (Rip Torn) and Dr. Grant (Chevy Chase) to coax him into taking one more mission: train a ragtag bunch of kids with amazing superpowers of their own. With help from the brainy Marsha Holloway (Courteney Cox), they'll learn to work as a team and harness their powers to battle an evil menace who's determined to make one seriously huge mess of life as we know it.

My Thoughts

I first saw this one in the theater when it first came out.  The movie is a bit silly at times and predictable, but I think it works well as an entertaining movie.  It is just fun and enjoyable to watch.  I like the idea of characters learning to be superheroes.  Having a superhero who lost his power be involved helps to make things more interesting as well.  I also liked how some other established, well known superheroes are mentioned at one point.  Much of the movie is focused on the attempts at training the kids.  Those scenes get a bit silly at times, but they are entertaining and some of them add humor to what is going on.  There is a decent amount of humor to what is going on.  Some of the humor is more gross or crude, but it mostly works for the movie. 

The character work well and are likable.  Jack/Zoom does act a bit like a jerk in a few scenes, but that doesn't last long.  It is understandable why he isn't that thrilled to be back at the facility after he went through years before.  The kids are interesting without being annoying.  Cindy is really cute.  I did really like Chevy Chase as Dr. Grant, a sort of bumbling scientist who tries to help with the training and developing things for the kids to use.  The cast works really well together.  Courteney Cox is pretty funny, even doing some physical type comedy.

Overall I really enjoy this movie and am glad that I have the DVD.

I did post a review on Epinions after seeing the movie in the theater.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Zoom: Academy for Superheroes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 04:09:15 PM »
I caught this on TV once and agree with this:

The movie is a bit silly at times and predictable, but I think it works well as an entertaining movie.

As usual, the ending is quite overdone, but I am prepared for that with this kind of films.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Zoom: Academy for Superheroes
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 11:05:54 AM »
It was overdone.  But that didn't bother me with this movie.  I sort of expect things like that in this type of movie.  And I only watch it when I'm in the mood for something like this.