Author Topic: The One Where It All Began: The Pilot Marathon  (Read 55597 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: The One Where It All Began: The Pilot Marathon
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 07:44:28 PM »
Don't buy it ... you'll regret it
As I said, I'm only interested in the pilot. ;)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 08:51:53 PM »
Heroes

What's the show about?
People all over the world discover that they have special abilities. And somehow their destinies are connected and that they have a task to do: How to stop an exploding man?

"Genesis"
Tokyo, Japan. A man belives that he can stop time. Odessa, Texas, USA. A girl jumps 70 feet from a building and heals practically instantaniously. New York, USA. A man can paint future events. They all don't know what is happening but they know that something's changed...

My Opinion
Loved the first season. Haven't gotten around to watch the second.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 10:02:26 PM »
Raumpatrouille - Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion (Space Patrol)

What's the show about?
Wikipedia article

This is a german classic. It came out in the same year as Star Trek (1966). The fast space cruiser Orion 7 under the command of Major McLane protects Earth from any extraterrestrial threats, especially a race that the Humans call "the Frogs".

"Angriff aus dem All" ("Attack From Space")
Because of repeated insubordination McLane is transfered from the "Schnelle Raumverbände" ("fast space combat units") to the "Raumpatrouille" ("space patrol"). Additionally he gets a "babysitter": Lt. Tamara Jagellovsk from the GSD ("global security service"). What appears to be a routine mission developes itself into the first clash with "the Frogs"...

My Opinion
As I said: A german classic even if it only lasted for 7 episodes. The command style is not unlike that of a certain James T. Kirk and the Orion 7 crew is also very international - ok the actors are all german, but it's the idea that counts. ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:57:45 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 11:31:56 PM »
Sliders

What's the show about?
Quinn Mallory and his friends travel through alternate universes. But there are a few catches. But they cannot control when they have to "slide" or where they are going to land. Nor do they find the way to their own homeworld. Every universe can be totally different from what they know or it's really close to their own reality.

"Pilot"
Quinn Mallory tried to invent an anti-gravity machine but came up with something totally different. Without knowing where his jump would end he jumps through a wormhole and ends up in his basement - right where he started. But he has soon to learn that this is not his basement - at least not his-his. After having successfully returned to his own reality he invites his professor for physics and his friend Wade for another trip...

My Opinion
I really liked the show until the season where the professor died and Wade disappeared. After that the show lost it's touch especially with the Kromaggs.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 01:06:50 AM »
Space: Above and Beyond

What's the show about?
In the year 2063 we see the adventures and the fights of the 58th squadron, the "Wildcards", a United States Marine Corps Space Aviator Cavalry (USMC SAC) squadron. Until the beginning of the show mankind believed to be alone in the universe. But then everything changed and suddenly mankind is at war with a race they call "Chigs". Later it comes out that some of the Earth based companies knew that the Chigs were out there but they were arrogant enough to not to care and they desecrated the Chigs' holy grounds, which probably started the war.

"Pilot"
Humans believe to be alone in the universe. Nathan West was supposed to go on the Tellus mission with his girlfriend Kylen. But he must leave behind, while she goes. Nathan joins the USMC SAC to have a chance to see Kylen again because the USMC also protects the colonies. But then something goes wrong. Both the colony on Vesta and Tellus are attacked and completely destroyed by an alien race. Nathan becomes a hammerhead pilot. His comrade-in-arms have enlisted for several reasons and they are a wild mix, including an InVitro (humans bred in tanks to fight against the A.I.s).

My Opinion
This is a very dark show and that is meant both metaphorically and literally. Too bad it ended in a heavy cliffhanger.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 02:24:02 PM »
Babylon 5

What's the show about?
It's about Babylon 5. ;) About the people that lived, loved, fought and died there. Babylon 5 is a human-built space station oribiting an (presumably) uninhabited planet in neutral territory. It's a port of call and a place to come together, to negotiate, to keep the peace in the galaxy. But in this it failed. Instead, it becomes the last, best hope for victory against an ancient and very powerful enemy.

"The Gathering"
A human space station called Babylon 5 was built in neutral terrritory between several star empires including the Minbari Federation, the Narn Empire, the Centauri Republic and the Earth Alliance. The construction finished ten years after the Earth-Minbar war where the Minbari nearly annihilated the humans but then surrenderd on the eve of victory. Now the station is complete to prevent such wars and every race sends an ambassador including the mysterious race called the Vorlons. But when the Vorlon ambassador Kosh arrives he is attacked and things get out of hands.

My Opinion
My marathon.
Babylon 5 is one of my top-favourite Sci-Fi TV shows. It has a great story arc and superb characters.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 03:14:12 PM »
Crusade

What's the show about?
The crew of the Excalibur searches in the galaxy for a cure that the plague the Drakh left on Earth.

What happened before?
2267, 5 years after the 5th season of "Babylon 5" the Drakh a former ally of the Shadows attacks Earth. They leave a plague on Earth which threatens to kill all life within 5 years. One of two prototype starships is ordered to find a cure to this plague. This was seen in the TV movie "A Call to Arms".

"War Zone"
What's the pilot to this show? That's a really difficult question. The storyline started with the TV movie "A Call to Arms", but none of the characters of the series was present in that movie (except Galen and Lochley). But JMS (the producer of Babylon 5) considers "War Zone" in the logical order on place 13. I still take it because it introduces the crew.

Captain Gideon takes over the command of the newly-built starship "Excalibur", one of two prototypes equipped with Human, Minbari and Vorlon technology. Gideon's mission is to find a cure for the plague that is going to wipe out all life on Earth. But first he has to take a little detour to hunt down one of the Drakh ships...

My Opinion
I haven't come around to watch this show yet. In fact this was the first time I ever watched an episode of it. Mainly because the show was canceled before it was even shown to an audience. If I like it, I'll know it will only last 14 episodes and I am somewhat confused that the order of the episodes is not the chronological order and if you watch it in the latter order uniforms change and some dialogs don't match. I've got no idea what JMS was thinking. Originally Crusade should have a 5-year-storyarc just like B5.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 05:14:12 PM »
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

What's the show about?
Hercules, son of the father of the gods, Zeus, travels through the world and helps villagers who are in danger. He fights warlords, demons and the creatures created by his stepmother Hera, the queen of the gods.

"Hercules and the Amazon Woman"
It's not exactly a pilot, it's the first of five TV movies that were made before the actual series. But it's as good as a pilot.

A man comes to Hercules and Iolaus and asks for their help. His village is attacked by beasts. Hercules and Iolas accompany the man. But they are attacked by the beasts and Iolaus dies in it and Hercules learns that they are not beasts, but amazon warriors...

My Opinion
Hercules was a good show, although (as I said) I liked Xena more.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 06:50:12 PM »
Kung Fu: The Legend Continues

What's the show about?
Kwai Chang Caine was a priest at a Shaolin temple, where his son Peter also lived and studied. The temple was destroyed and father and son each thought the other had perished in the fire. For many years, Kwai Chang 'walked the earth,' while Peter became a big-city cop. Finally, they are reunited and now together they battle evil, using wisdom, martial arts, and occasionally even Peter's pistol.

What happened before?
Kwai's grandfather, Peter's great-grandfather was the Kwai Chang Caine from the series "Kung Fu".

"Initiation"
A man comes to Chinatown of Los Angeles who looks like he stepped out of the movies "The Last Emperor". He prevents an assault on a chinese merchant but gets hurt in the process. Meanwhile the cop Peter Caine goes undercover to take out a Chinatown underground boss.

My Opinion
While I am not much into cop shows in general, I liked this one because I like martial arts. And this father and son are a great team. But the show hasn't been published here (except for the pilot).
Karsten

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 07:01:24 PM »
My Opinion
This is a very dark show and that is meant both metaphorically and literally. Too bad it ended in a heavy cliffhanger.
The show needed a long time to gain momentum. I think it was around episode 10, when the story-arc finally picked up, but from then on, I loved it.

Too bad those FOX morons decided not to make the shortfilm-conclusion the series makers offered to do before the boxset came out.

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 07:05:24 PM »
Crusade

What's the show about?
The crew of the Excalibur searches in the galaxy for a cure that the plague the Drakh left on Earth.

What happened before?
2267, 5 years after the 5th season of "Babylon 5" the Drakh a former ally of the Shadows attacks Earth. They leave a plague on Earth which threatens to kill all life within 5 years. One of two prototype starships is ordered to find a cure to this plague. This was seen in the TV movie "A Call to Arms".

"War Zone"
What's the pilot to this show? That's a really difficult question. The storyline started with the TV movie "A Call to Arms", but none of the characters of the series was present in that movie (except Galen and Lochley). But JMS (the producer of Babylon 5) considers "War Zone" in the logical order on place 13. I still take it because it introduces the crew.

Captain Gideon takes over the command of the newly-built starship "Excalibur", one of two prototypes equipped with Human, Minbari and Vorlon technology. Gideon's mission is to find a cure for the plague that is going to wipe out all life on Earth. But first he has to take a little detour to hunt down one of the Drakh ships...

My Opinion
I haven't come around to watch this show yet. In fact this was the first time I ever watched an episode of it. Mainly because the show was canceled before it was even shown to an audience. If I like it, I'll know it will only last 14 episodes and I am somewhat confused that the order of the episodes is not the chronological order and if you watch it in the latter order uniforms change and some dialogs don't match. I've got no idea what JMS was thinking. Originally Crusade should have a 5-year-storyarc just like B5.

Which Episode did you start with? The episodes are not in chronological order (similar to TOS), therefor please remember to watch the show in the following order:
   1. War Zone (108)
   2. The Long Road (107)
   3. Appearances and Other Deceits (113)
   4. The Memory of War (102)
   5. The Needs of Earth (101)
   6. Racing the Night (103)
   7. Visitors From Down the Street (104)
   8. Each Night I Dream of Home (105)
   9. The Path of Sorrows (109)
  10. Patterns of the Soul (110)
  11. Ruling From the Tomb (111)
  12. The Well of Forever (106)
  13. The Rules of the Game (112)

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 07:07:59 PM »
My Opinion
While I am not much into cop shows in general, I liked this one because I like martial arts. And this father and son are a great team. But the show hasn't been published here (except for the pilot).

Eeeeer:
http://www.amazon.de/Kung-Fu-komplette-erste-Staffel/dp/B0007GDUDG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1199470003&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.de/Kung-Fu-komplette-zweite-Staffel/dp/B000926SZK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1199470003&sr=8-2

:tease:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 07:10:45 PM »
I started with "War Zone" but I read on sf-radio.net that JMS had put it on #13 instead of #1.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 07:12:15 PM »
My Opinion

Eeeeer:
http://www.amazon.de/Kung-Fu-komplette-erste-Staffel/dp/B0007GDUDG/
http://www.amazon.de/Kung-Fu-komplette-zweite-Staffel/dp/B000926SZK/

:tease:
Not the old one, the new one the one I wrote about. ;)
Karsten

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 07:12:44 PM »