Author Topic: The One Where It All Began: The Pilot Marathon  (Read 56269 times)

Najemikon

Re: The One Where It All Began: The Pilot Marathon
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2009, 01:53:43 AM »
Give it a chance. I didn't enjoy the first season and only watched it occasionally. Season two clicked better. I think they stopped taking themselves so seriously and had more fun...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2009, 12:10:05 PM »
But that wasn't enough - they had to behave in an un-animal way just to create tension and suspense with the characters.
Can you give an example?

I have some interest in this, as it was somewhat recommended elsewhere, but your statement has me concerned.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2009, 12:18:28 PM »
But that wasn't enough - they had to behave in an un-animal way just to create tension and suspense with the characters.
Can you give an example?

The animals are often attacking Humans ignoring all dangers and pains. In one episode there was a giant centipede who tried to bite one of the guys - not eat him, bite him. It got torched with a mini flame-thrower twice and it still continued to attack. On other occasions animals jump through all kind of walls and windows and hurt themselves to get to their victims. Once they've focussed on their target they ignore all instincts and chase it no matter what, even if they get badly hurt in the process - and what's even worse: they ignore even simpler prey in their pursue of their intended food.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2009, 12:25:32 PM »
I know what you mean, but I think they manage to handle it better in the next episodes. I remember one about a giant croc that came from ancient Egypt. It ate a few people, but they managed to put across that it was just trying to get to water and those people happened to be in its way.

One thing I meant to say before, once series 2 is under way, there's a tendency to use new creatures they came up with themselves and they are much better. The plot gets quite interesting too though and there's a handful of cool scenes to look forward to.

For instance:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2009, 12:29:12 PM »
But I've heard that they replaced most of the cast in season 3 (after which it was cancelled anyway).
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2009, 12:30:37 PM »
The animals are often attacking Humans ignoring all dangers and pains. In one episode there was a giant centipede who tried to bite one of the guys - not eat him, bite him. It got torched with a mini flame-thrower twice and it still continued to attack. On other occasions animals jump through all kind of walls and windows and hurt themselves to get to their victims. Once they've focussed on their target they ignore all instincts and chase it no matter what, even if they get badly hurt in the process - and what's even worse: they ignore even simpler prey in their pursue of their intended food.
I usually file that under artistic license and go on with it. Not a show stopper for me, really. At least just by your description it seems to be what most movies of that sort do.

[...] and there's a handful of cool scenes to look forward to.

For instance:
That looked cool alright :clap: Only one instance where the CGI looked hokey.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2009, 12:32:21 PM »
I usually file that under artistic license and go on with it. Not a show stopper for me, really. At least just by your description it seems to be what most movies of that sort do.

Yeah and I don't really like any of these movies.
Karsten

Najemikon

« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2009, 12:48:54 PM »
It's definitely artistic licence, because the effects are done by the guys who did the very serious Walking With Dinosaurs.

But I've heard that they replaced most of the cast in season 3 (after which it was cancelled anyway).

I hadn't heard that! I thought you were just recycling rumour until I looked it up. Pardon my French, but f***ing ITV need their collective heads examining. The viewing figures were strong, but of course, it's a drama not reality shit. So all we have to look forward to is sodding X-Factor, Britain's Got Talent, that Jungle celebrity bollocks, and then the cycle starts again. Recession or no recession, ITV are rolling in cash from those. :redcard:

In that case, Karsten, there is no point bothering until you hear some sort of season four is commissioned, but no, the cast was not replaced. By the end of season 2 a major character has been killed. By the end of season 3, another one has gone, and an occasional arc started from the first season 1 episode is completed, though not without some freaky consequences. There are new cast members, but the show, the team and the story evolve nicely. If you've been given the impression the cast are being replaced for any other reason than story development, that isn't true.

The last I heard, not only would there be a season 4 (considering the ending of season 3, it was essential), the writers were creating a US version. Unlike other US remakes, this would be both a fresh story for new viewers, but would also tie-in with the British run. So you would have a sense of anomalies being an international problem. Maybe they'll be able to pick up where the British run left off.

Idiots. And so unfair, because it was really strong by the end and the final scenes show a lot of confidence. The nature of the story means a US team could pick it up though I expect that won't happen. :(

If they recommission bloody Demons I'll hit someone. :voodoo:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2009, 12:54:38 PM »
Jon, after all your paragraphs I am still confused now. Is it canceled or not? Will there be a fourth season, or not? :stars:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2009, 01:00:22 PM »
Jon, after all your paragraphs I am still confused now. Is it canceled or not? Will there be a fourth season, or not? :stars:

Not as far as I know: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8100579.stm
Karsten

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »
So, no closure at the end of S3 and no S4 in sight.

Still, I prefer to get into series when I know where the end is rather than when they are still open. Like Lost, I am really glad I never bought any season sets of that.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2009, 01:13:21 PM »
Still, I prefer to get into series when I know where the end is rather than when they are still open. Like Lost, I am really glad I never bought any season sets of that.

LOST will definitively end after the sixth season which will start to air in January.
Karsten

Najemikon

« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2009, 01:37:53 PM »

Sorry, I was just angry. Wikipedia seems up-to-date as well...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2009, 03:51:56 PM »
LOST will definitively end after the sixth season which will start to air in January.
In my opinion lost is dragging it out way too long. A maximum of 4 seasons is what they should have done.

Anyway, what I also meant was that I don't want to purchase something that's 6 seasons (or even more) long as I know I will have a hard time committing to it for the time needed to watch it (approx. somewhere around 100h time). The only 6 season show I own is 3rd Rock From The Sun, but that's a sitcom and the continuing story arc is not really very deep so you could watch that on-and-off as you please.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2009, 06:39:57 PM »
Chuck
Granted, the basic premise of the show is a bit ridiculous, but the show is still great. Chuck is the typical late 20s nerd who lives with his sister and her fiancé "Captain Awesome" and loves to play video games with his friend Morgan and now he has to be a spy. Sarah and Casey try to protect him but naturally Chuck gets into trouble all the time and it's great fun to watch these three and the rest of the Nerd Herd.

I catched an episode on German TV today (Chuck vs. Sandworm). I don't want to say it is bad, because I only saw it dubbed, but... no, sorry, it is pretty bad. I don't mind ridiculous, but this such generic nerd stuff with a side of gross-out humor (I was about to turn it off at the beginning, during the refrigerator scene), kinda like Apatow + Big Bang Theory + Jake 2.0 = really, really not my thing.
Matthias