Author Topic: The Easter Bunny Is Comin' to Town  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
The Easter Bunny Is Comin' to Town
« on: April 01, 2013, 03:20:46 AM »

The Easter Bunny Is Comin' to Town
Year of Release: 1977
Directed By: Arthur Rankin, Jr. & Jules Bass
Starring: Fred Astaire, Skip Hinnant, Robert McFadden, Ron Marshall
Genre: Fantasy, Comedy

Overview:
You can only find kids in kidsville. They make their own rules and run their own town. Every spring, all the kids – including Sunny the Bunny – come together to make Easter goodies. Now its Sunny's job to take all the yummy jellybeans and painted eggs to town, a dreary old village where no kids are allowed!

The Easter Bunny Is Comin' to Town is a cheery, tuneful production combining stop motion magic and the vocal talents of another magical treasure, Fred Astaire. Watch Sunny and friends win over Town's meanies by teaching them fun Easter traditions. Share this Digitally Remastered Edition – with all new Bonus Features – as part of your family's Easter tradition.

My Thoughts:
I'm posting this in the TV forum since this was a Rankin-Bass TV special.  I love Rankin-Bass and they don't disappoint.  Here we have another example of their wonderful stop-motion animation.  If the story is thin and strictly for the youngest set, the animation is still fine, the character designs lovely and the feel sweetly nostalgic for those of us who grew up in the late 70's and early 80's. 

I'd rate it about average, given that the wonderful animation is balanced by the thin plot and one-note characters.  Of course, given the target audience that makes sense.  This is appropriate for all ages, even the youngest of viewers.

Bechdel Test: Fail

Overall: 2.5/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield