Author Topic: Axel Music  (Read 9289 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Axel Music
« on: June 01, 2010, 08:24:08 PM »
Ok, my favorite online store is Axel Music.

Despite their name they sell mainly film. They are based in Toronto, but are run by a bunch of Danish guys. They're not the cheapest, but they have outstanding customer service.

My favorite online store used to be DVDepot. They were also, strangely enough, based in Toronto. Or almost, anyway. In Burlington which is basically a suburb of Toronto. Or at least it is until all the Canadians here on the board correct me...

Anyway, DVDepot closed and moved to Florida and became Hidefdvd. Not at all the fun place it used to be. So I moved on and ended up basically in the same place. How strange is that? They are really open to suggestions from customers. In fact, a lot of the features on their website come from my suggestions.

VIP customers get a personal contact. How cool is that? When I log in I see on the home page "Your personal Axel contact is: Rasmus". So who is Rasmus? He's the CEO. Ok, it's not a big organisation, but still. Well, seeing that I've bought just over 1000 titles from them, maybe I am one of their more important customers.

Anyway, I love the place. I rarely buy R1 titles anywhere else. If you buy lots of movies, don't go there. I want to remain top dog!  ;)

kahless

Re: Axel Music
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 08:36:05 PM »
Thanks for this info!  :D

I personally have to admit, that my favorite store is Amazon (.de; .co.uk; .com; .fr). Good service, fast delivery and customer care. O.k - this is a very personal experience.  ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:02:14 PM »
I've used Axel for a long time. I think they had a pseudonym of Raccoon or something at one point? They really are superb though. I loved how I went to the site the other day and there was an apology because they felt they were slipping.

Slipping? I ordered the Watchmen Ultimate set, which is fairly chunky. 3 days. I kid you not. I'm in the UK and it came from Canada (they have a couple, I assume Canada) faster than Play!

Play are my faves all round (especially when I can sell my stuff and other stuff is free! ;)), but for multi-region, I go Deep Discount for price and Axel for sheer bloody quality of service. :thumbup:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:20:19 AM »
They're not the cheapest, but they have outstanding customer service.

I agree on the customer service, but I rarely buy their anymore, because "not the cheapest" now actually means "most expensive" most of the time.
Matthias

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:59:54 AM »
Try ordering a film from Amazon France :whistle:
The films I got from them with the shipping, the dvd itself, the taxes and the Visa extra charge for the money conversion added cost me more than 50$ for a single movie :laugh:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:23:04 AM »
Try ordering a film from Amazon France :whistle:

Okay, I should have qualified my comment, but since Axel mostly offers US releases anyway, I didn't. DVDs in France are generally more expensive, whether its mainstream or special interest. Amazon.fr probably is not really the culprit there. Don't know other retailers for French DVDs, though, so I might be wrong.
Matthias

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:08:33 PM »
Axel Music is the only R1 store that I know that is "VAT safe" for us in the EU.

When you order from outside the EU you can get slapped with 25% VAT (here in Sweden, the percentage varies between countries) and a customs handling charge which is, I believe, around $9.

Sometimes customs will hold your package if it doesn't have a proper customs declaration, or if they don't believe the value stated on the declaration, and you have to send in documentation.

So, even though many (maybe most) DVD shipments slip through the cracks, I prefer to pay a little more and not have to worry about any hazzle.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »
Axel Music is the only R1 store that I know that is "VAT safe" for us in the EU.

Now that is a reason to check it out.
I haven't ordered many R1 the last year, because the hassle with customs became too much.

So you never have to pay any customs with them? Or is it like amazon.com, where you still have to pay customs, but as they include a proper invoice, the postman can collect it (at least here in Germany)?
Even if it is the latter, they seem to be a good choice. Amazon.com was never cheap. Also the shipping costs seem to be fair at Axel. Amazon.com has really bad international shipping costs in my opinion.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 05:52:45 AM »
They bulk ship to Europe, pay all taxes and re-mail from within the EU, so the same rules apply as if you had bought from a company within EU. No taxes or VAT - guaranteed.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »
Thanks. I guess I have some ordering to do.

snowcat

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 09:59:29 PM »
Nice! its the first time I have ever seen this site... I think I will have to order some stuff.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »
How long does it usually take for a delivery to Europe?
My order has been shipped on June 3rd and still hasn't arrived. Should I wait a little longer before contacting them?

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 02:34:10 PM »
Well my Watchmen arrived very quickly indeed, literally a few days. Normally I'd allow a couple of weeks. Definitely contact them, Tom.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 02:49:58 PM »
I will wait until tomorrow. If it does not arrive tomorrow, I will contact them.
Maybe it is because I have had it delivered to a packstation. Usually no problem for tax-free international shippings.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 05:25:51 AM »
Axel has pretty much dropped shipping costs until Wednesday. Still too pricey in most cases, but if you want to buy something there at all, now is probably the time to do it.
Matthias