Author Topic: Tom's Unwatched Movies Marathon  (Read 36410 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: ?
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2010, 12:04:33 AM »
If you haven't seen it...how do you know you don't like it?!? :tease:

Singing in the Rain is one of my favorites - it makes me feel happy when I watch it. You need to see it just to watch Cyd Charisse's legs dance!
I forgot to use a conditional. They would bored me to death :whistle:

Legs dance or not, I can't imagine myself watching this at all. Just watched the documentary "That's entertaining" one time and it was enough for me :laugh:
But I've seen worst with Les parapluies de Cherbourg. Catherine Deneuve was a ravishing beauty at her prime, but a complete movie entirely sang was just too much :yucky:

Najemikon

Re: Tom's Unwatched Movies Marathon
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2010, 12:20:10 AM »
You're kidding - don't you?? :o
Thorsten I've never watch it also. Just like I've never watch Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, Singing in the Rain, Birth of a Nation, etc. This type of film isn't my cup of tea at all, trying to watch that bored me to death :yawn:

Nothing wrong with not seeing them or want to see them, but you can't really lump them together! This "type" of film? You've covered four genres!  :laugh:

I've only seen bits of Birth of a Nation, but only film nerds of the highest order watch stuff like that. Gone With The Wind I've already dismissed; Singing in the Rain is a sodding musical, so no thanks (although Kathy has made me slightly more interested! :devil:); the only one is Casablanca and Jimmy, you really shouldn't dismiss it out of hand. It's one of the most watchable and entertaining films ever made. Bloody wonderful.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2010, 12:22:53 AM »
As a fan of musicals, I have to say that "Singin' in the Rain" is great!

Najemikon

« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2010, 12:26:01 AM »
Yes, I have to say that if forced at gun-point, The Sound of Music and Singin' In The Rain are definitely in the top tier.

Of course there is always an exception to the rule and I find myself unable to not watch Mary Poppins every time it's on!  :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2010, 12:29:25 AM »
the only one is Casablanca and Jimmy, you really shouldn't dismiss it out of hand. It's one of the most watchable and entertaining films ever made. Bloody wonderful.
But it was made during the second world war so I guess it was mostly a propaganda films to sell war bonds like many other done during those years...

As a fan of musicals, I have to say that "Singin' in the Rain" is great!
I'm not Pete I can watch musical and appreciate some of them as you can read in my reviews of Alice in Wonderland and Jesus Christ Superstar. This is more the idea of singing and dancing for no reason who turn me off.

Najemikon

« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2010, 12:46:06 AM »
the only one is Casablanca and Jimmy, you really shouldn't dismiss it out of hand. It's one of the most watchable and entertaining films ever made. Bloody wonderful.
But it was made during the second world war so I guess it was mostly a propaganda films to sell war bonds like many other done during those years...
:o

argh. Can't... breathe...  :stars:

Ok, 1942, yes, lots of propaganda crap floating around, that's true. Surely a bit tight for war bonds though, I thought that came in around '44? But anyway, it's a moot point.

Casablanca is a war story, but politics only colour the film and are not the point. It is simply a romance, with fantastic characters and some of the best dialogue you will ever hear. If concerns about it being propaganda are your only reasons for dismissing it, then please reconsider.

I'm not forcing you to watch a film you don't want to see, just please... ignore it for a better reason than that!

Just an excuse to post one of my favourite lines again! :P

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2010, 12:54:13 AM »
Well... lets put it this way. For Father's Day I am going to tell Britt I want a Lobotomy to hopefully be able to forget I ever saw her!  :P

She's the real reason fast forwarding was created.  :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2010, 12:58:35 AM »
OK that line make me laugh.But with all the film I want I've just not enough money to take a gambling on something I'm not sure to like.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: ?
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2010, 01:03:33 AM »
You need to see it just to watch Cyd Charisse's legs dance!

Her and Donald O'Connor are about all I can tolerate from this film. I've never understood the canonization of it as the best musical ever. I know and admit that Gene Kelly was a masterful dancer, but on the other hand, if you were to play a drinking game with this film and had to do a shot each time he mugs for the camera, you'd die from alcohol poisoning. And unfortunately, he did it in every film he was in.

Watching Gene Kelly in a film is like...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2010, 01:06:22 AM »
It's one of the most watchable and entertaining films ever made. Bloody wonderful.

Not to mention the most quotable in film history.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2010, 01:13:46 AM »

While it's my favorite line too, I had to post this exchange also...

Capt. Louis Renault: How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that.   Some day they may be scarce.
Capt. Louis Renault: What on earth brought you to Casablanca?
Rick Blaine: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
Capt. Louis Renault: The waters?  What waters?  We're in the desert.
Rick Blaine: I was misinformed.

Priceless. I'm not going to get involved in this discussion, my avatar speaks volumes for me.   :training:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2010, 01:36:07 AM »
OK that line make me laugh.But with all the film I want I've just not enough money to take a gambling on something I'm not sure to like.

I upgraded to the 2-Disc Special Edition so I have an extra copy laying around. I'll send it to you once I find it.

I hate having to agree with Jon  :tease: but this is a film that must be seen at least once. I seldom cry during films, yet this one is so touching it gets me every time.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2010, 02:06:43 AM »
I haven't seen Casablanca either..but I did get the DVD last year, so I have here..I just haven't taken the time to watch that one yet.  I like Gone With the Wind..though it isn't one of my favorites and Prissy has to be one of the most annoying characters ever.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2010, 06:54:32 PM »
o.K. - my vote is:

Devdas.

I just wanted to watch this, but then I had to find out, that even though there is a Hindi audio track, there are no subtitles available.  :(
And I refuse to watch the German dub. I will have to replace my copy someday.
You are free to request another movie instead.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2010, 09:47:52 PM »

I upgraded to the 2-Disc Special Edition so I have an extra copy laying around. I'll send it to you once I find it.

Jimmy, I found the extra copy - are you interested?