Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Bizarre Birthdays  (Read 17058 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Bizarre Birthdays
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:24:08 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Image: Who wants a slice of cake?
Bizarre Birthdays
This weekend I am doing a marathon about movies that has strange events happening because of a birthday... or has strange and/or unusual events during a birthday/birthday party. We will be seeing such things as birthday wishes coming true, wild antics at parties... and even a man who's birthday sends him into a mid-life crisis. This marathon will cover genres such as horror, comedy and suspense/thriller.

In between each episode I will continue to watch birthday episodes of various TV series.

Bizarre Birthday Movies:
- 13 Going on 30 (Birthday Wish Comes True)
- The Birds (Birthday Party on the Island)
- Bloody Birthday (Title says it all)
- Cheaper by the Dozen (Crazy antics at a birthday party)
- Child's Play (A stretch... but he get's Chucky for his birthday)
- City Slickers (Birthday causes Mid-Life Crisis)
- Frogs (Gather on Island for B'day Party)
- Full Frontal (Never Seen - but seems to do with Birthday Party)
- The Game (Insane Birthday Gift)
- Happy Birthday to Me (Birthday Horrors)
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry finds out on 11th Birthday)
- House on Haunted Hill (Remake - Gathered for Birthday Party)
- Identity (Birthday Common Ground)
- Liar Liar (Birthday Wish Comes True)
- The Omen (Crazy antics at a birthday party)
- Sabrina the Teenage Witch (Crazy antics at a birthday party)
- Tower of Terror (Party Misunderstanding)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:52:27 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

hal9g

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Bizarre Birthdays
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:28:14 PM »
LOTR-FOTR has a birthday party for Bilbo, doesn't it?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:29:03 PM »
I think it does.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 11:31:43 PM »

I hate those movies! Couldn't stand the first one... and never bothered with any of the sequels. Matter of fact... I even gave away the first one.  :tease:
Pete

addicted2comics(:P)

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 12:28:30 AM »
Wow, that cake really fits you dad! Of coarse, if I had to pick one out for you, I"d say the Exorcist is the way to go!!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 12:42:59 AM »
That would definitely work too!  :thumbup:
Pete

Critter

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 12:44:43 AM »

I hate those movies! Couldn't stand the first one... and never bothered with any of the sequels. Matter of fact... I even gave away the first one.  :tease:

:suicide:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 02:10:05 AM »

I hate those movies! Couldn't stand the first one... and never bothered with any of the sequels.
Don't listen their comments Pete. I sure agree with you :thumbup:
Of course it's because I prefer the books (my imagination is better than CGI any days of the week), but I'm sure you haven't read them.

hal9g

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 05:01:03 AM »

Wow!

Tell me how you really feel!   ???

I read "The Hobbit" as part of the mandatory reading list before my freshman year of college in 1969 and fell in love with Tolkien from that day on.  I own everything he wrote.  I've read all four (Hobbit and the LOTR Trilogy) at least 10 times over the years and just recently bought a beautiful leather bound set of the books.  I'm currently reading "The Hobbit" again in preparation for that movie's release.

While nothing ever measures up to the books they are based on, I think Jackson did a hell of a job with this trilogy and I'm really looking forward to "The Hobbit".

If you have never read the books, I can fully understand why someone might not really enjoy the movies, since out of necessity, so much of the background information has been left out.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 05:06:54 AM »
I love LOTR..and I didn't read the books until after I saw the movies.

hal9g

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 05:10:25 AM »
BTW, I thought the live-action animated version that was done many years ago (1978), absolutely sucked.  How anyone could think that they could condense this trilogy into a single two hour movie is incredible.  And the animation was absolutely among the worst I've ever seen!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:12:26 AM by Hal »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 05:12:05 AM »
I never saw that one, but I've heard it is horrible.

Critter

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 05:37:57 AM »
BTW, I thought the live-action animated version that was done many years ago (1978), absolutely sucked.  How anyone could think that they could condense this trilogy into a single two hour movie is incredible.  And the animation was absolutely among the worst I've ever seen!

The person who made that, Ralph Bashki was actually considered by many a genious in animation. Throughout most of the 70's he set out to create alternative genres of Western animation, most of it aimed at adults rather than children which was somewhat new for mainstream animation at that time. He didn't really succeed in reaching as many people as he hoped, but his fantasy films aimed at adults such as Wizards and Fire and Ice became cult classics. I agree with you that his Lord of the Rings wasn't fantastic. For one thing one of the main styles of animation he used was rotoscoping, which is a technique not often used to great length, or even at all in animated films but he felt he could do it. Although in his defence, you say they couldn't condense the entire trilogy into one two hour film... that was never their intention. Bashki had planned a sequel to the film to bring a higher sense of completion to the story, and even though the film did well enough financially it was slandered by critics so a sequel was never given the green light.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 01:38:22 PM »

I had a feeling the above post would get a bit of attention.  :laugh: But don't worry... it is just an opinion... no movie is for everyone. And as many people around here can tell you I like most things I see. It is pretty rare for me to really not like something. Hell I remember the slack I got for enjoying Omen 4: The Awakening!  :laugh:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 02:47:39 PM »
A friend and I were going to go see that animated Lord of the Rings when it was out in theaters.  He drove us up to Robinson Township, PA (about a half-hour drive away) and we were just getting within sight of the multiplex it was out...when the clutch in his car broke!  His car was an ugly yellow Gremlin...  We didn't see that movie that day, needless to say...and, in fact, to this day I still haven't seen that movie.  I guess I wasn't that interested in seeing it after all.  ::)