Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224626 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #1095 on: March 09, 2013, 07:49:32 PM »
And although Superman II was reportedly filmed at the same time, I didn't like the second one as much. 

Have you seen the Richard Donner cut of Superman II? With that one you get the idea what Donner had planned with the sequel before most of the scenes were refilmed by Lester. It is really worth a watch.

And III and IV were, to my way of thinking .. bad.  The newer reboot, Superman Return wasn't really that bad.  Not oscar material :) but hey ... so few things are.  Not sure about the next one.  I think the real problem is with Superman period.  New good, too clean.  Most people like their heroes flawed.
Personally I am really excited about the next movie. It has the potential to be really great.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1096 on: March 09, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »

TT3D: Closer to the Edge (2011)

The TT is the world renowned motorcycle racing event held every year on the Isle of Man, England's largest island. Famed for having no speed limit, the race has motorcyclists hitting speeds of over 200mph round the villages and roads of the island and has resulted in over 230 deaths, including three during 2010, when this documentary is set. Mainly following the outspoken, eccentric, say it how it is crowd favourite Guy Martin, it shows his training, his mind and what happens during these two weeks as well as interviews with all the other top riders, marshalls and even widows. All the bikers know the risks, and yet they can't stay away, even after crashing at 170mph where the first thing Guy Martin says after the marshall finds him over a quarter of a mile further than his bike is "don't cut my leathers". It shows the fun, but it is also shows the horrors very well and with respect. An excellent documentary with some good 3D depth in parts (not all of it is in 3D as a lot of archive footage). 4.5/5

btw, amazing that a race over 200 miles can be as close as a few hundredths of a second.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:40:33 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1097 on: March 10, 2013, 12:38:06 AM »

Quarantine (2008)

Quarantine is yet another horror remake to hit audiences - one of many over the last ten years, this time of a Spanish movie called [REC]. Unlike many horror remakes though, this is actually better than average thanks to an excellent performance from Jennifer Carpenter, especially when it comes to the point of her getting extremely scared. The special effects on the zombies were what you would expect from the genre/budget range and the script isn't anything spectacular, but Quarantine succeeds in quick scares, a fast pace and some cracking long shots without edits. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1098 on: March 10, 2013, 03:47:37 PM »

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)

The second film in the series is again directed by Chris Colombus who keeps a similar tone and pace to Philosopher's Stone. This time, Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint all put in better performances, likely because they have grown slightly with the experience and media attention of the first so are more relaxed in their surroundings and the filming process which really shows on-screen. The story is quite strong, but like the first, it just didn't grab me and I never found myself surprised or blown away. It's a slight improvement on the first, but not enough of an improvement to get a higher score, though I am led to believe the third movie, directed by Alfonso Cuaron is where it gets edgier and darker. I'm interested, but not excited by the series so far. Rent it. 3/5
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:49:20 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1099 on: March 10, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »

Superman II (1980)

In the second movie, Clark Kent agrees that he will sacrifice his superpowers so that he can marry colleague and friend Lois Lane whilst the three supervillains that leave the prison at the end of the first movie come to Earth with the intention of taking it over. The story is good, the special effects better than the first and the characters have developed a bit more making this a thoroughly enjoyable comic book movie. The problem is that you can easily notice the change in tone between parts directed by Richard Donner (who left after clashing with producers) and those directed by Richard Lester. I should note I viewed the theatrical version which is known to be inferior to the Donner cut, and I would still recommend it. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1100 on: March 10, 2013, 08:36:23 PM »

Hotel Transylvania (2012)

Hotel Transylvania is a fun idea for an animated movie. Basically, Count Dracula runs a hotel for monsters, free from the humans they fear after multiple townspeople and pitchfork incidents many years ago. The writers did well to use all the well known monsters including Frankenstein, The Invisible Man and The Mummy and there are some great little jokes towards them (and a dig at Twilight). Unfortunately, it seems like they've cared more for the environments and characters than they have for the storyline though, which is a very basic love story where Count Dracula's daughter falls for a human. Voice casting was good if nothing special. Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg and Selena Gomez are fine in the leads but Sony have gone for promoting certain acts rather than recognised voicers for some of the smaller roles like Cee-Lo Green. The 3D was quite flat in parts and average in others. Fans of the older Universal horrors will find a few things to enjoy here and fans of animated features should also like it. It's flawed, but entertaining enough to just edge a recommendation. 3.5/5

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 10, 2013, 08:37:43 PM »

The TT is the world renowned motorcycle racing event held every year on the Isle of Wight, England's largest island.

I guess you're not a fan of the Isle of Man TT races  ;)
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1102 on: March 10, 2013, 08:40:58 PM »

The TT is the world renowned motorcycle racing event held every year on the Isle of Wight, England's largest island.

I guess you're not a fan of the Isle of Man TT races  ;)

Oops. :-[

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1103 on: March 10, 2013, 08:46:12 PM »

Goodnight, Mr. Foot (2012)

This animated short (4 minutes) is included on the Hotel Transylvania blu-ray and featurtes Big Foot visiting the hotel for a stay. Director Genndy Tartakovsky has gone for a completely different style of animation compared to his main feature and although it suits the short, the writing really lets it down as not much happens with the housewitch who tries to make his stay a memorable one. Worth a single viewing, but nothing more. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1104 on: March 10, 2013, 11:08:18 PM »
Diary of the Dead (2007) which I've reviewed previously:
http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,6328.msg144493/topicseen.html#msg144493

This time, I viewed on blu-ray.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1105 on: March 11, 2013, 12:36:41 PM »

Happy Gilmore (1996)

Sandler is one of the most hit and miss comedy stars out there for me. In some things, he's great (The Wedding Singer, Reign Over Me, Punch-drunk Love) and in others he is unbearable (You Don't Mess with the Zohan) but Happy Gilmore has to rank up there with some of the best sports comedies around. A great supporting cast in Carl Weathers, Christopher McDonald and Julie Bowen, a fun if standard storyline and some completely ludicrous moments like fighting Bob Barker. Turn off your brain and enjoy this for what it is. Recommended. 4/5

btw, I always wondered how pissed off people who worked at driving ranges got because of this movie?  The number of kids doing the 'Happy' swing most of been high.

samuelrichardscott

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1107 on: March 11, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

Film three sees Harry Potter learn a lot about his family and his past and this backstory helps fill some holes from the first couple of movies. Alfonso Cuaron does give it that much needed darker feel, but only just and the special effects are the best of the series so far. Cast wise, Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson get better with every film. I'm not hooked in yet, but my interest is very steadily increasing in the story. Rent it. 3/5

(Gary Oldman nearly forced a 3.5 and a recommendation, but I just couldn't do it)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:40:04 PM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 11, 2013, 07:26:07 PM »
Face it .. someday you will break down and put a happy face along side Harry Potter  :)
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1109 on: March 11, 2013, 07:44:29 PM »

Superman III (1983)

Believe it or not, but Superman III was the first in the series in which Christopher Reeves actually got top billing - a shame really as it is when the series begins to fall apart. The plot is more comical than the previous entries and that is pushed along by co-star Richard Pryor and there is unfortunately a less solid storyline because of it. We get a new villain but he has the same traits as Lex Luthor and it just feels a bit tired overall. It's not a complete waste of time though - there are some great set designs and action sequences and Annette O'Toole as Lana Lang was a good bit of casting. Rent it. 2.5/5