Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224626 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #1050 on: March 04, 2013, 02:43:45 AM »

Religulous (2008)

Comedian Bill Maher takes a closer look at the world's religions, interviewing the more wacky followers as well as those with more honest opinions. Funny, endearing and at times even scary as to how warped some people are, this is a documentary well worth viewing unless you're religious and easily offended. Recommended. 4/5

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 04, 2013, 04:20:27 AM »
Being a Bill Maher fan I found this one interesting.  He is not afraid, like another hero of mine Frank Zappa, to make fun of everything and one including himself.  We are all still at heart apes and sometimes we aren't that far from the tree :)
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1052 on: March 04, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »

Jurassic Park (1993)

Now this one brings me back to my childhood. Some great special effects, a well selected cast, plenty of action and a good storyline - this is probably the best dinosaur movie ever made and has held up rather well. Richard Attenborough essentially makes this one for me. I do have to admit though that I was disappointed with the picture quality on the blu-ray so I hope the forthcoming 3D release gets a completely new transfer. 5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1053 on: March 04, 2013, 06:02:43 PM »

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

A lot of people were massively disappointed with this one on release, and I was one of them, but as time goes on I have become more and more forgiving. Julianne Moore does feel a little out of place at times, as does Vince Vaughan but I really enjoy Pete Postlethwaite's performance. The special effects are again very good, but it all feels too similar in parts to JP1 and it's the ending that is my biggest bug bear. Rent it. 3/5 (my rating for this has slowly increased from 2 over the years).

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 04, 2013, 07:42:56 PM »
Now see ... you liked <gulp> Dressed to Kill and I liked this one.  I like Julianne Moore very much in this one.  Vince Vaughan also plays a pretty *normal* person (unlike all the sophomoric characters he normally plays).  I tend to seperate one film from the next and enjoy the moment .. unless the moment is Dressed to Kill  ;D
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1055 on: March 04, 2013, 08:40:08 PM »

Jurassic Park 3 (2001)

This is the underrated movie of the series in my opinion and better than The Lost World. Sam Neill is the main character again, Laura Dern makes a small but welcome appearance and the always excellent William H. Macy joins the cast with Tea Leoni. The story is an interesting one, going to the second island to look for Macy's/Leoni's son who went missing during a holiday. Special effects are again very good and the pacing just right, not outstaying its welcome. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1056 on: March 04, 2013, 11:24:13 PM »
Watched Paul which I have previously reviewed from a rental:
http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,6328.msg151611/topicseen.html#msg151611

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 04, 2013, 11:52:57 PM »
Seen Paul 3 times now, from start to finish, and I think I enjoy it more now than the first time ... it has grown on me.  Have loved everything I see Pegg&Frost films ... of course including Edgar Wright.  (really looking forward to 'Worlds End' and 'Antman'
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1058 on: March 04, 2013, 11:57:28 PM »
Yeah, I can't wait for  Worlds End - the final part of the Cornetto trilogy. As a pairing I'd say Paul is the worst thing they've done and yet it's still very very good!

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #1059 on: March 05, 2013, 12:14:06 AM »
Yeah, I can't wait for  Worlds End - the final part of the Cornetto trilogy.

Same here.

It's said they picked "Mint - Choc-Chip" this time. I hoped for "Nut"

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 05, 2013, 02:08:24 AM »
Yeah, I can't wait for  Worlds End - the final part of the Cornetto trilogy. As a pairing I'd say Paul is the worst thing they've done and yet it's still very very good!
Really  :o How can that be with quips like Lorenzo Doyle?
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1061 on: March 05, 2013, 03:03:21 AM »
Really  :o How can that be with quips like Lorenzo Doyle?

Absolutely. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are leagues ahead. They are much more consistent with the humour and both are more well-rounded. The TV show Spaced is the same. When Paul is the worst thing you've done as a pairing though, you're doing something right.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1062 on: March 05, 2013, 03:10:56 AM »

Transit (2012)

This one was a pleasant surprise. Jim Cavaziel plays a man just out of jail for real estate fraud and he is taking his family on vacation to try and bring them back closer together. A band of criminals who hijacked $4million put the cash on the luggage rack of the family's car to bypass a police roadblock and then chase the family down by any means possible to try and get the cash back. Transit is by no means anything new, but it has some entertaining set pieces, never bores and has quite an understated cast including Cavaziel, Diora Baird, Harrold Perrineau, James Frain and Elisabeth Röhm. It's enjoyable for what it is even of it never reaches that next level, but if you like this type of thing then I recommend a viewing. A slightly generous 3.5/5 because of the surprisingly strong casting.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1063 on: March 05, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »

I'm Reed Fish (2006)

The debut feature-length movie of Zachary Adler, I'm Reed Fish brings together a great cast including Jay Baruchel, Alexis Bledel and Katey Segal and puts them in a mediocre rom-com which is very light on the comedy. I watched it due to appearances from actresses in tv shows I've loved in the past - AJ Cook from Tru Calling and Shiri Appleby from Roswell - but both actresses are underused which is a shame. I'm Reed Fish wasn't a bad film, it just wasn't very good either and a waste of young talent. Low-end rental. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1064 on: March 05, 2013, 03:45:53 PM »

The King of Fighters (2010)

Before I say anything, I guess I should state that I have absolutely no familiarity with the King of Fighters video games or characters. I picked this movie up as it stars Maggie Q and Francoise Yip, two actresses I generally like. Unfortunately, this film is a bit of a mess. For a movie based on a beat 'em up there isn't enough action and what is there does not make full use of the skills of people like Maggie Q, with fighting scenes poorly choreographed. The pacing was rather slow despite a short run time, the dialogue was laughable and the plot unimaginative and not very well structured. Don't waste your time on this one. 1.5/5