Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224633 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #990 on: February 21, 2013, 05:07:51 AM »
I don't really understand all the 'reboots' except that it is another way to get money.
But then, technically Spider-Man (2002) was a reboot already. Batman Begins was a reboot. Hulk was a reboot.

Reboot is just a fancy word for remake or simply "fresh start" (if talking about a series).

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: February 21, 2013, 05:19:24 AM »
or another name for "we don't have idea anymore".

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #992 on: February 21, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »

A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (2011)

It's safe to say that if you enjoyed previous H&K movies, then you'll get a kick out of this one also - especially for some great cameos including a hilarious scene with Neil Patrick Harris, a H&K regular. 3D wise, there were some great pop-outs and good depth throughout and they really played up to the 3D at times (loved the beer pong pop-out). Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #993 on: February 21, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »

The Fast and the Furious (2001)

There's no mistake that this series is a huge guilty pleasure of mine, so much so I watch them probably three times a year. This first one was a complete sleeper hit and just came from nowhere to keep petrolheads very happy indeed through some great cars and well done action sequences. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 21, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »
Agreed! But why not a perfect 5/5? :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #995 on: February 21, 2013, 09:33:26 PM »
Agreed! But why not a perfect 5/5? :)

Some of the supporting cast, especially the background people at the races irritate me.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #996 on: February 21, 2013, 09:37:33 PM »

2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)

Not as good as the first film, it does suffer from the absense of Vin Diesel, Jordana Brewster, Michelle Rodriguez et al although there are some good additions including a surprisingly good Tyrese Gibson and the ever underrated Eva Mendes. Some great cars and a brilliant scene where all the trucks come out and smash the cop cars out the warehouse, coupled with a fun story, still make it recommended viewing for fans of franchise. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #997 on: February 21, 2013, 09:41:26 PM »

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006)

The worst of the five movies released so far but IMO not worth the slating it received. Okay, so the usual cast isn't here, but it introduces us to Sung Kang as Han who maes an appearance in the fifth movie also. The drifting scenes look great and again, there are some good set action pieces s if you're after a popcorn flick, it's worth a look. A generous 3.5/5.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: February 22, 2013, 12:00:17 AM »
Gotcha bud! ;) And kudos for watching the Tokyo Drift.. I know i should watch it too, since i'm watching the same boxset as you..
But i'm thinking about skipping that one, and jump to number 4. Once was enough for me i guess for the 3rd.  :-[
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #999 on: February 22, 2013, 12:49:56 AM »

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (2012)

Overview:
Alex, Marty, Gloria and Melman are still fighting to get home to their beloved Big Apple. Their journey takes them through Europe where they find the perfect cover: a traveling circus, which they reinvent - Madagascar style.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The voice cast is strong and includes Ben Stiller, Chris Rock and Jada Pinkett Smith.
- The soundtrack is well selected pop music that suits the scenes well.
- It doesn't let up for a second and is frenetic from start to end.
Cons:
- The animation isn't as good as other kids CGI franchises.
- It does get a little repetitive at times.
- The humour isn't as good as you would hope from this genre.
Overall:
There are much better franchises out there like Ice Age, but this is okay to waste some time. Rent it. 3/5

I just watched this in 3D so thought I would comment on that aspect. All I can say is wow. The pop-outs were non-stop and although I prefer depth over pop-outs, the way it was done here was fantastic. Possibly the best 3D experience for me so far (though I still have Avatar and Titanic to watch in 3D). The film = 3/5. The 3D = 5/5.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: February 22, 2013, 03:03:36 AM »
Gotcha bud! ;) And kudos for watching the Tokyo Drift.. I know i should watch it too, since i'm watching the same boxset as you..
But i'm thinking about skipping that one, and jump to number 4. Once was enough for me i guess for the 3rd.  :-[
Just saw preview for Fast & Furious 6 and have to admit that the previews looked like fun.  Of course I was seeing A Good Day to Die Hard so maybe I was just in the mood for series that never die.
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1001 on: February 22, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »

Fast and Furious (2009)

The fourth film marked a change of direction for the series, edging away from street racing and more into heist/crime sub-genres with an element of street racing cars and in my opinion, this is welcome. Here we have a strong movie thanks to a fun story, great action scenes and a regathering of the main characters from the first, plus the introduction of a couple of Mexican drivers who make a bigger appearance in Fast Five. Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1002 on: February 22, 2013, 11:59:37 AM »

Fast Five (2011)

Fast Five is currently my second favourite of the series, being ever so slightly edged by the first (despite me giving them both the same score). The biggest addition here is of course Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson who joins the team after his task force guys are killed whilst still doing his own job of trying to bring down Toretto. Plenty of action and one of the most thrilling car chase sequences of recent times with fantastic stunts make this one highly recommended for fans of the series. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1003 on: February 22, 2013, 03:23:59 PM »

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (2012)

Scott Adkins does well taking the lead in the latest installment of the Universal Soldier series and is joined by Van Damme and Lundgren. Unfortunately Van Damme and Lundgren never actually share the screen and both take a bit of a back seat in comparison to the previous movies but there is still plenty of action and some of it is very brutal indeed. Still, the story makes this one suffer as it becomes a little messy and incoherant at times. The 3D is very good with great depth and facial close-ups looked great. Overall, I enjoyed it, but it's nothing particularly new compared to your average DTV actioner. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1004 on: February 22, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »

Juno (2007)

Everything about Juno just resonates with me. I love the characters, the dialogue is witty and funny and with how good the cast chemistry is it still portrays a serious and prominent subject matter well. Highly recommended. 4.5/5