Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224634 times)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #915 on: January 20, 2013, 06:51:54 PM »
I basically that it IS a good thriller.  But Al Pachino, though a good actor, really shows his 1 character here.  Lots of angst, hyperventilating and pulsing blood vessels in the neck.  Now it is fair to say that much of that can be expected in a thriller ... but as it seems that no matter what Al Pachino plays it is the same.

Having said that, I did buy it after seeing it and have watched it several times.  But then I like and watch Bruce Willis too  ;D
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #916 on: January 20, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »
I like Willis too. But then I'm a huge fan of Van Damme, Lundgren and Seagal. It comes down to what you expect from certain cast members though and Pacino was very disappointing. Of course, he seems to be getting more and more one dimensional these days bu he just shouted everything here.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #917 on: January 20, 2013, 09:11:27 PM »

Lesbian Vampire Killers (2009)

Overview:
Award winning comedy-duo James Corden and Mathew Horne (Gavin & Stacey) decide to escape their problems and head to Wales for a weekend of debauchery.
Things don't quite go according to plan and they find themselves stuck in a village where all of the women have been enslaved by a legendary vampire curse. As the night unfolds the boys have to put all of their fears (and dreams!) behind them in order to rise to the challenge of becoming Lesbian Vampire Killers.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Just like their tv show Gavin and Stacey, Mathew Horne and James Corden play off each other very well.
- There are some really funny one-liners, almost all of which come from Corden.
Cons:
- Nothing surprising in the storyline at all.
- They could've done better with the visual effects at times.
Overall:
Entertaining enough. Rent it. 3/5

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #918 on: January 20, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »
I was not aware that the two stars came from "Gavin & Stacey" (should have read the back cover :laugh:). I have never seen that show. I first saw this movie at the FantasyFilmFest, and I must say this movie is a riot when watching it in a cinema full of movie geeks. I was a little disappointed with it when I watched it later alone at home on Blu-ray and also only gave it a 3.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #919 on: January 20, 2013, 10:44:43 PM »
Here is my review of series 1 of Gavin and Stacey:
http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,6323.msg154116/topicseen.html#msg154116

Series 2 was very good also, but I still need to get S3.

If it interests you, and you don't mind buying used, S1+2 boxset is only £1.13 + postage on Amazon (I recommend the seller zoverstocks):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B001EVP85Q/ref=sr_1_4_olp?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1358718182&sr=1-4&condition=used

Of course, there is also a complete set with S1-3 + Christmas special for £9.00 direct from Amazon and I guess you get to remove the 20% tax on that one. Do Amazon UK still ship free to Germany?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #920 on: January 20, 2013, 11:17:52 PM »
Of course, there is also a complete set with S1-3 + Christmas special for £9.00 direct from Amazon and I guess you get to remove the 20% tax on that one. Do Amazon UK still ship free to Germany?

They remove the 20% tax, but they add the 19% German one. Which I think is fair of them. And usually they ship from inside Germany. But as far as I know they never shipped for free to Germany. At least since I buy from there.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #921 on: January 20, 2013, 11:58:33 PM »
My bad. Amazon UK started shipping to various countries last year for free but Germany wasn't one of them:
Belgium, Denmark, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Andorra, Finland, Gibraltar, Greece, Iceland, the Republic of Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Vatican city, Poland.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #922 on: January 21, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »

Up in the Air (2009)

Overview:
George Clooney stars in this satirical comedy drama based on the novel by Walter Kirn. Ryan Bingham (Clooney) is a corporate downsizing expert - in other words, his job is to fire people from theirs - and he takes his job very seriously. He travels the length and breadth of the country, racking up air miles and living out of a suitcase, and relishing every moment of it. When his job and way of life come under threat by new centralised procedures implemented by his hotshot colleague Natalie (Anna Kendrick), Ryan determines to show her just how valuable his role is - but instead ends up facing up to some of the pitfalls of his lifestyle. The film won the 2010 BAFTA for Best Adapted Screenplay.

My Thoughts:
I'm not Clooney's biggest fan I have to admit, but recently watching ER and a few of his movies just reminds me how talented he is. It really hit me with Up in the Air though which I think I may rate as his best performance, where he is strongly supported by Vera Farmiga and a surprisingly good Anna Kendrick. Movie talent certainly runs in the Reitman family and director Jason Reitman has done a great job of transitioning so many genres into one fluent movie. As a comedy it's hilarious, as a drama it's moving, as a romance it's endearing,  and as a whole, the movie is very relevant to many people with the world economy being in tatters and many thousands of people being laid off. It never pokes fun at the horrible prospect of people losing their jobs, although the responses can be kind of amusing in a uncomfortable way, and yet it feels very easy and light to watch despite how heavy it really is. Highly recommended. 4.5/5
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 04:54:02 PM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 21, 2013, 05:20:54 PM »
Glad you liked it! But unlike you, i am a huge fan of Clooney's work.
And i think this is one of his best roles today. :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #924 on: January 21, 2013, 08:07:12 PM »

Let the Right One In (2008)

Overview:
Acclaimed Swedish horror film based on the novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist, who also wrote the screenplay for the film. Oskar (Kare Hedebrant) is a sensitive, fragile, 12-year-old boy, living in the suburbs of Stockholm in the early 1980s, who is bullied at school and spends his nights dreaming of revenge and rehearsing knife attacks in the courtyard behind his apartment building. There he meets his new next-door neighbour Eli (Lina Leandersson), a mysterious girl of his own age who turns out to be a vampire. With Eli on his side, Oskar is finally able to face up to the bullies who have made his life such a misery, but Eli's unquenchable thirst for blood brings problems of its own.

My Thoughts:
It's not often you get what is essentially a low-key horror movie that has such powerful characters, but Let the Right One In is one of those movies. The children who play the parts of Oskar and Eli are absolutely remarkable and really take the wind out of you throughout with some very powerful scenes. In amongst it is some very slight dark humour which doesn't overpower the other aspects of the movie, and adds to the very dark and gloomy atmosphere well. Director Tomas Alfredson has avoided the fast cut editing we see in the vast majority of current horror movies and instead gone for a lot of distant lingering shots which add to the tension. Even after a fourth viewing, I give this the highest recommendation. 5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #925 on: January 21, 2013, 10:36:24 PM »

Let Me In (2010)

Overview:
Matt Reeves writes and directs this vampiric coming-of-age romance based on the Swedish novel 'Let the Right One In' by John Ajvide Lindqvist and Tomas Alfredson's 2008 Swedish-language film adaptation. Kodi Smit-McPhee stars as Owen, a solitary 12-year-old in 1980s New Mexico who is continually tormented by a gang of bullies. When the enigmatic Abby (Chloe Moretz) moves in next door, the two form an unlikely friendship that will change Owen's life forever as it emerges that Abby is a 200-year-old vampire, frozen in childhood and condemned to live on a diet of fresh human blood. With Abby on his side, Owen is finally able to face up to the bullies - but Abby's unquenchable thirst for blood gives rise to a fresh set of problems.

My Thoughts:
This is my second time viewing this remake of the fantastic 2008 movie Let the Right One In, and this time I went into it with a different frame of mind. Upon first viewing, I had reservations, as although I really enjoyed director Matt Reeves' Cloverfield, I was unsure how he would go from a frenetic horror to one that is very much character based. Those reservations soon took a backseat though, because although this isn't as good as the original, it is still a great film and a cracking/exciting comeback for Hammer. Kodi Smit-McPhee is very good but Chloe Moretz continues to stamp her talent on Hollywood and really impresses. There are also enough small changes in this remake to help it stand out from the original so it really is a worthy purchase, even if you're hesitant. Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #926 on: January 22, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »

Man on a Ledge (2012)

Overview:
Twenty storeys upwanted fugitive Nick Cassidy threatens suicide from a Manhattan rooftop. Ashostage negotiator Lydia Mercer tries to talk him down she discovers that Cassidy was convicted for his part in a multi-million dollar diamond robbery. Whilst Cassidy creates the ultimate distraction his brother and his feisty girlfriend are out to prove his innocence by committing a new crime. With an all-star cast that includes Sam Worthington, Elizabeth Banks, Anthony Mackie, Jamie Bell, Ed Harris and Edward Burns, this adrenalin fuelled action thriller will have you on the edge of your seat…

My Thoughts:
Man on a Ledge is quite standard fare which is pushed up a level by a strong cast, with Sam Worthington, Elizabeth Banks, Jamie Bell and Genesis Rodriguez all putting in above average performances, and at times, even managing to reach the same level as the ever reliable Ed Harris. The storyline does require quite a big suspension of belief at times, but there is no doubt about the fact that it's quite exciting throughout and although it comes to an obvious conclusion, the story unravels nicely and is well paced. This isn't a great film, but it is brainless fun. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #927 on: January 22, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »

Super 8 (2011)

Overview:
Steven Spielberg and J.J. Abrams join forces in this extraordinary tale of youth, mystery and adventure. Super 8 tells the story of six friends who accidentally film a train wreck only to discover that something unimaginable escaped during the crash. Now, the only thing more mysterious than what it is… is what it wants.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- An excellent young cast, especially Riley Griffiths and Elle Fanning.
- The special effects are are generally very good, especially the train crash.
- A really fun story that really hints back at 80's Spielberg family movies.
- Really effective in capturing the time period in which it's set.
Cons:
- One or two of the minor plot points felt a little out of place.
Overall:
Okay, my love of these types of films from when I was kid and the way it reminds me of them had a very positive impact, but I highly recommend this one. 4.5/5

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 22, 2013, 07:58:23 PM »
Yep, i agree.  Super 8 is a fine film
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #929 on: January 22, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »

Set Up (2011)

Overview:
Bruce Willis (The Expendables) and 50 Cent star in this fast paced heist thriller. The heist of a lifetime for a group of friends turns deadly when one betrays another by taking off with the goods. Taking matters into his own hands, Sonny (50 Cent) seeks out retribution by teaming up with the most dangerous mob boss in town (Bruce Willis) to get back what he sees as rightfully his. When he finally comes face to face with his long time friend-turned-foe (Ryan Phillipe) he has to choose between friendship and revenge.

My Thoughts:
Every now and again I get taken in by a star I like who is plastered all over a cover and the film barely has that person in and turns out to have been a bit of a waste of time. Well, they got me with this one by getting Bruce Willis involved for about 15 minutes. The story for Set Up is below average, the heist scene, gunfights and other set-pieces are boring and the cast aren't quite up to scratch, especially the two leads 50 Cent and Ryan Phillippe. There are plenty worse out there, but don't waste your time with this one. Skip it. 2/5