Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224634 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #900 on: January 19, 2013, 01:22:58 AM »
I have listened to that podcast also a long while ago (I think it was the first "Now Playing" podcast I ever listened to and have been following them since), but even though they have a lot of valid points, they didn't hurt my enjoyment of these movies.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #901 on: January 19, 2013, 01:35:25 AM »
I've not listened to that podcast but have read about the many plotholes and many are obvious whilst watching. However, although it usually annoys me, I still think they did a very good job and it's easy to pick holes at any film, especially time travel ones. These just get picked apart more because of their status IMO.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #902 on: January 19, 2013, 01:42:11 AM »

Back to the Future: Part III (1990)

Overview:
Experience the time travel adventure of a lifetime with BACK TO THE FUTURE - THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION! Join Marty McFly (MICHAEL J. FOX), Doc Brown (CHRISTOPHER LLOYD) and a time-travelling DeLorean as they travel to the past, present and future - setting off a time-shattering chain reaction that disrupts the space-time continuum.
From filmmakers Steven Spielberg, Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale, experience the ultimate time travel adventure now fully re-mastered in Blu-ray high definition. Packed with hours of brand new bonus features - it's time to go BACK TO THE FUTURE!

My Thoughts:
In the third BTTF movie, the action goes to the wild west, and again, there is a lot of fun to be had here. One of my favourite things about the third is how they've maintained the smaller roles throughout from the previous movies (ie. Principal Strickland is the Sheriff and Biff's gang members haven't changed). They have some fun with some of the other roles also with Marty calling himself Clint Eastwood and some of the townspeople are actors who made their living in support roles in westerns like Michael John Mills. A nice touch I thought. Anyway, if you liked the first two, you'll probably like this and although it is widely recognised as being the poorest of the trilogy, I still highly recommend it. 4.5/5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 19, 2013, 01:46:50 AM »
I have listened to that podcast also a long while ago (I think it was the first "Now Playing" podcast I ever listened to and have been following them since), but even though they have a lot of valid points, they didn't hurt my enjoyment of these movies.
We exchanged podcast names in a thread once and I believe your mention of Now Playing brought them to my attention.

That was I was trying to say, as audience we often even choose to ignore plot holes and contrivances and just follow wherever the movie takes us...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #904 on: January 19, 2013, 11:14:18 AM »
Just stumbled across this parody.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #905 on: January 19, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »

In the Hands of the Gods (2007)

Overview:
Documentary about five young British freestyle footballers who journey across the Americas to Argentina in the hope of meeting their hero, Diego Maradona. With no money for food, accommodation or travel, the boys hustle and busk their way from London to Buenos Aires using only their football skills and their charm, often being forced to go hungry and to sleep rough. The voyage of adventure and self-discovery that takes these boys far from their homes will change their lives forever. But will they eventually get to meet their idol?

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- They picked five very different youngsters to make the journey, from a career criminal trying to change his life to a scouser who has lost his two best friends in a car crash to a very religious young boy.
- When the group splits to go for it separately, not just once, but twice, it really brings a whole new direction to the documentary.
- Watching the lads perform for street kids and having fun in poorer areas where they aren't trying to make money, was much better than seeing them perform in the main cities.
Cons:
- It takes a while to get going.
- The MTV-style editing can really disrupt the flow.
Overall:
A good documentary about chasing dreams. Recommended. 3.5/5

Najemikon

« Reply #906 on: January 19, 2013, 04:29:09 PM »

Vantage Point (2008)

Overview:
Tense, political thriller that follows an assassination attempt on the president of the United States. While visiting Spain to attend a global summit on terrorism, the American president is shot, causing instant panic and confusion in the watching crowd. Amongst them, tourist Howard Lewis (Forest Whitaker) has videotaped what he believes to be the gunman, and brings it to the attention of the secret service agents present. The story then unfolds from the perspective of five witnesses, each following events immediately prior to and after the assassination, each one supplying a piece of the puzzle, until the final shocking truth can be revealed.

My Thoughts:
Critics didn't like it and it was shelved for over a year, yet Vantage Point has a very respectable score on IMDB of 6.6 with almost 100,000 votes. I'm not sure why the critics didn't like it though as it's a well made thriller that reminded me a lot of the excellent but short-lived tv show Boomtown which also told the same moments through the eyes of several people. Vantage Point has a great cast assembled putting in above average performances with nobody letting the side down and the set-pieces are very entertaining, especially the car chase. If you want an action thriller that's a little different, I'd recommend this one. 4/5

I remember seeing this at the cinema and being so frustrated. There was such an opportunity to do something special, but they blew it and took the easy route in the last moments. The structure was similar to Rashomon and while it was never going to be that good, it was aspiring to be so, and that's what counted.

But I'm probably being unfair, because I remember liking it for much of the time and it only fell short because I'd read into it a build up to something it perhaps never intended to be.

And Pete Travis can do no wrong at the moment. He made Dredd. He made it awesome. He buried Stallone. For that, he should be bloody knighted.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 19, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »
I remember when i watched this one too. I was kinda dissapointed about it.
Since me aswell, thought they could do so much more with it really.

You dont like 'Stallone' Jon?
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #908 on: January 19, 2013, 05:53:20 PM »

Serial Slayer (2003)

Overview:
On an ordinary Saturday afternoon in Suburban California, a nervous young woman (Melanie Lynskey), house-sitting for friends, has organised a slumber party for the women at her office. However, only three guests arrive: her cynical friend (Sheeri Rappaport), the office outcast (Mary Lynn Rajskub)…. and somebody who may or may not be the serial killer who has been terrorising the local community all summer. In short order, the girls see a black-clad figure moving outside, hear footsteps on the roof, then discover that both the electricity and the phone lines have been cut. They try to temper their fears with scepticism…. until the blood starts flowing.

My Thoughts:
Bloody hell, that was hard work to sit through. This so called 'horror' is almost completely devoid of merit. The plot is awful, the special effects non-existant and it has no atmosphere or tension at all - with the soundtrack and 'noises' not helping. I have to wonder how the director managed to rope in three reasonably successful at the time actresses (my reason for buying) in Mary Lynn Rajskub, Melanie Lynskey and Sheeri Rapaport - let alone how he made them look like they've never done any acting before. All three put in the worst performances I've ever seen from any of them. Anyway, if you ever get the chance to view this, snap the disc and walk away. Skip it. 0.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #909 on: January 19, 2013, 07:59:16 PM »

Dumbo (1941)

Overview:
Mrs. Jumbo, a veteran circus elephant, receives a baby from the stork. He soon becomes the laughing stock of the herd because of his jumbo-sized ears and is cruelly nicknamed "Dumbo". When Mrs. Jumbo loses her temper, she is locked up as a mad elephant and Dumbo finds himself all alone, except for a self-appointed mentor-protector, Timothy Q. Mouse. After Dumbo and Timothy meet a group of crows, they convince Dumbo that he might be able to fly with a boost of confidence. With his "magic feather," Dumbo takes flight. When he loses his feather, Dumbo realises that he could fly by himself the entire time. After performing for the circus, Dumbo is a media sensation with Timothy as his manager and his mother by his side.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The fact that Dumbo doesn't speak really helps the film stand on the strength of the story and animation.
- There are some really nice little touches between Dumbo and his mother, making for a strong connection.
- The songs are some of Disney's best, especially "When I See an Elephant Fly".
Cons:
- Too short at a little over an hour.
- The clowns bugged me, especially because the voices aren't consistent in the silhoette scene.
Overall:
Not my favourite Disney classic, but a great film nonetheless. Recommended. 4/5

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 19, 2013, 11:20:43 PM »
Skip it. 0.5/5
But...

a website I can't see say the movie is "pretty dawn suspensefull". BTW it's almost as badly written as if it was written by me,

and another one I can read too say that it's "one of the scariest most suspensefull released from Lions Gate ever". If it would end with "!!!!!!!!!!!" that would made it the best film ever ;D

More seriously that seem to be the worst thing you have seen that year, hope you didn't pay too much for it  :hmmmm:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #911 on: January 20, 2013, 01:00:38 AM »
First quote is from "Reel Advice from the Video Store Guy".
Second quote is from www.slasherpool.com which closed its doors in 2009.
A third quote on the back, "An intelligent thriller. One scene made everyone I watched it with jump out of their seat" is from Horror Asylum.

Nah, didn't pay much for it. £0.01 + £1.26 postage on Amazon Marketplace for a used copy so according to xe $2.01.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #912 on: January 20, 2013, 03:48:07 PM »

11:14 (2003)

Overview:
It's a quiet night in Middleton, and everything seems peaceful in this sleepy suburban town. But as the night approaches the fateful hour of 11:14 pm, a series of events begins to unfold which will ultimately have deadly consequences: On the highway, drunk driver Jack hits a young man with his car... A shoot-out at the local convenience store leaves the female clerk Buzzy wounded. But, she's later arrested for being involved in the crime... At the local cemetery, protective father Frank covers up a crime he did not commit... Nearby, three bored teenage boys drive around in a van, making mischief and throwing things at passing cars. But they will learn before the end of the night that aimless pranks can often have deadly and painful consequences... Meanwhile, master manipulator Cheri tries to frame her boyfriend for murder... Before the night is over, two teenagers will end up dead in Middleton -victims of an intertwined fate that involves all of these seemingly unrelated events. The story unwinds in reverse chronology, connecting the events by showing the night as it unfolds for the various people in town. These threads of chance will all converge at the fateful hour of 11:14 PM.

My Thoughts:
Having just watched Vantage Point earlier on in the week, I was up for watching another movie which follows the same time frame through several perspectives, so when 11:14 was pointed out to me, I had to give it a whirl. The first thing that struck me was just how good the cast are. Hilary Swank, Barbara Hershey, Patrick Swayze, Ben Foster, Colin Hanks, Rachael Leigh Cook and more all put in above average performances. Even the usually lacklustre Shawn Hatosy didn't disappoint. The story is well put together, piecing the story bit by bit as it unfolds through different viewpoints of events, and the climax wraps everything up well. This feature length debut from writer/director Greg Marcks is impressive but sometimes could've been more polished, however, it certainly warrants a purchase. Recommended. 4/5
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:49:38 PM by samuelrichardscott »

Najemikon

« Reply #913 on: January 20, 2013, 04:05:28 PM »
You dont like 'Stallone' Jon?

I like Stallone, but not as Dredd and the film was irretrievably bad. I'm a lifelong Dredd fan and Stallone captured little to none of who the character is supposed to be.

While making the new film, they admitted Dredd was a challenge, because as a character, he doesn't 'grow' or change, as you normally expect a hero to be. Also, he's a violent miserable fascist! Karl Urban though, nailed it. A truly uncompromising performance.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #914 on: January 20, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »

88 Minutes (2007)

Overview:
In 88 Minutes, Dr. Jack Gramm (Al Pacino), a Seattle-based college professor and forensic psychiatrist, is informed by an enigmatic caller that he has exactly that amount of time to live. The threat is linked to Gramm's role in putting a convicted serial killer (Neal McDonough) behind bars nearly a decade earlier, and sends the scholar/consultant on a desperate run to avert his imminent demise. Entering into Gramm's dangerous orbit are his dutiful assistant (Amy Brenneman), an FBI agent (William Forsythe), and his admiring young students (most notably Alicia Witt), all of whom add layers to the tense mystery.

My Thoughts:
88 Minutes is a 'real time' thriller (despite the fact Pacino travels from one side of Seattle to the other in minutes) in which Pacino has been told he has 88 minutes to live on the day a serial killer he put behind bars is due to be executed. The story has a few good ideas but in essence it is nothing more than your average Hollywood thriller and the script is average, with a few hokey moments. The cast vary wildly in quality. Pacino hams it up and is ultimately disappointing and Neal McDonough doesn't get enough screen time but the likes of William Forsythe, Alicia Witt, Leelee Sobieski and Amy Brenneman do okay. 88 Minutes could've been great with the names attached, but it turns out it has nothing to put it above the many similar films. Jon Avnet should stick to producing. Rent it. 3/5
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:41:13 PM by samuelrichardscott »