Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224637 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #855 on: January 09, 2013, 08:25:11 PM »

Chronicle (2012)

Overview:
Chronicle is an unconventional and slightly darker take on the superhero genre where three ordinary teenagers suddenly gain super powers and are able to do things they never imagined possible. Initially they have fun, but their pranks become ever more dangerous and they must face the inevitable question of whether they can handle the responsibility that comes with extraordinary powers.

My Thoughts:
Chronicle was a movie that sort of came out of nowhere when it hit the cinemas. Beforehand there was little promo going on but then due to word of mouth and surprising takings on the exceptionally well spent $12m budget, it seemed the commercials on the tv were never ending. The cast here are essentially a bunch of unknowns, but all well selected and although it is filmed in the 'lost footage' style (it isn't 'lost footage', just that style) it has avoided overuse of shakeycam. The special effects are very very good, especially during the final act where the audio system also gets a nice workout and the story is well paced, allowing us to learn enough about the characters to care and figure out why some characters end up acting like they do. This is highly recommended. 4.5/5
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:27:27 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #856 on: January 09, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »
Chronicle makes it into my top 3 of 2012 so far.
The others:
Looper - 5/5
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 4.5/5
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:00:29 PM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 10, 2013, 03:57:04 PM »
Chronicle makes it into my top 3 of 2012 so far.
The others:
Looper - 5/5
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 3.5/5
A 3.5 is in your top 3...? Or is the rating not equal to personal preference entirely?

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #858 on: January 10, 2013, 04:00:47 PM »
Sorry. Should've said 4.5.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 10, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
No sorry... But it looked weird, so I wanted to clarify.

I mean, occasionally I let my ratings be influenced by objectivity rather than pure subjectivity...

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #860 on: January 10, 2013, 09:32:10 PM »

Taxi (1998)

Overview:
Former pizza delivery guy Daniel is speed crazy. Embarking on a new career as a taxi driver, his specially modified car is so fast even police radar can't spot him!
When he unwittingly gives a high-speed ride to police officer Emilien, he is forced to accept a deal to keep his license: a stint as Emilien's personal police car driver. Now on the other side of the law, Daniel becomes the unlikely mastermind behind an investigation into a gang of German bank robbers.
Aided by his girlfriend, Emilien's mother and a whole squad of pizza delivery boys Daniel and Emilien join forces with hilarious consequences to foil the robbers on foot, on scooters, and of course in TAXIs.

My Thoughts:
It has only been in recent years that Marion Cotillard has really come to public light outside of her native France, but it was over ten years ago, when I first caught this movie that I started to follow her career. Of course, her part is relatively minor but she has the star quality shining, even in this car crazy crime caper. Samy Naceri and Frédéric Diefenthal are the real stars here as a heavy footed taxi driver and a bumbling cop who team together after a funny taxi ride to catch German bank robbers who are using high end Mercedes cars as their getaway vehicles. The story is fun, the driving scenes brilliant with an obvious Luc Besson finesse (he produced and wrote) and it's consistently funny. Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #861 on: January 10, 2013, 11:59:17 PM »

Taxi (2004)

Overview:
Belle Williams is a speed demon. Flying through the streets of New York in her tricked-out taxi, she's earned a rep as New York's fastest cabbie. But driving a hack is only a pit stop for her real dream: Belle wants to be a race car champion. And she's well on her way--until she's derailed by overeager cop Andy Washburn, whose undercover skills are matched only by his total ineptitude behind the wheel. Washburn, whose lack of vehicular skills has landed him in the precinct doghouse, is hot on the heels of a gang of beautiful Brazilian bank robbers, led by Vanessa, their cold, calculating--and leggy--leader. To nab the evasive crooks, drivers license-less Washburn convinces Belle to team up with him to pursue Vanessa and crew. Belle has carte blanche to drive at any speed and break any law. The car-less cop and speed-demon cabbie--New York's unlikeliest partners-- begin a high-speed game of cat and mouse with the robbers. That is, if Belle and Washburn don't end up killing each other first.

My Thoughts:
I'll get straight to the point. This Hollywood remake of the original 1998 French movie is pretty poor. Although I like the idea of a female taxi driver this time round, and Queen Latifah is quite good, unfortunately Jimmy Fallon is terrible and the main characters do not really gel as well as in the original. The chase scenes also pale in comparison due to some decidedly dodgy looking CGI rather than doing actual stunts in parts though getting the bank robbers to be female supermodels (Gisele Bundchen et al) was a good move to at least keep you watching during the more inane sections. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this one, and I definately wouldn't recommend a viewing directly after the original, because the flaws become more apparent. 2/5

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 11, 2013, 12:25:55 AM »
Jimmy Fallon is basically poor in most things.  Even staring with Drew Barrymore, who can drag up most any performance, couldn't save Fever Pitch  :laugh:
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #863 on: January 11, 2013, 12:41:46 AM »
I had a featurette on in the background when I was writing that and he said that it is based on a popular French film. They are going to Americanise it so the French will hate it. So did everyone else. He also said he didn;t watch the French movie so that people wouldn't ask him why certain scenes are different/missing/added. Bizarre.

Well, I have Taxi 2, 3 and 4 lined up but maybe no more tonight... Getting late!

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #864 on: January 11, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »

Taxi 2 (2000)

Overview:
The Japanese Secretary of State for Defence is visiting France. He is on a special mission to invest in the French expertise regarding anti-terrorism. At the end of his trip, he will sign a contract worth several billion dollars with the French government.
But, he is kidnapped by a group of Yakuza.....
Against their better judgement, Daniel the cab driver and Emilien his friend the policeman became involved in a string of adventures in order to rescue the diplomat and ensure the contract is signed.
Packed with excitement and energy TAXI 2 follows Daniel and Emilien's adventures in the all action sequel to TAXI.

My Thoughts:
Emilien and Daniel are back after a coincidence via Lilly's dad that brings them together when a Japanese diplomat and Petra are kidnapped. Like the first movie, Taxi 2 excels in the action sequences and this one includes some great driving scenes involving three Mitsubishi Evo VIs and, of course, Daniel's Taxi. Not only that, but they have added in a couple of martial arts fights, and they too, are well choreographed. My favourite scene though, had to be the huge crash with the French police cars in an obvious nod to The Blues Brothers. The story isn't quite as strong as the first movie, but there is still plenty of fun to be had here. Recommended. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:58:12 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #865 on: January 11, 2013, 06:44:09 PM »

Taxi 3 (2003)

Overview:
When the police are outsmarted time and time again by thieves calling themselves the Santa Claus Gang, all under the watchful eyes of a reporter (Bai Ling), Daniel and his super-taxi pitch in to save the day.
Written and produced by the legendary Luc Besson (director of 'The Fifth Element', 'Leon' and producer of 'The Transporter 1 and 2'), Taxi 3 skillfully oscillates between action and comedy, with some ingenious gags and impressive stunts thrown in along the way.
Starring the original Taxi cast: Samy Naceri as Daniel the fearless taxi driver, Frédéric Diefenthal as Emilien, Bernard Farcy as Captain Gilbert and Marion Cotillard ('Big Fish') as Lilly, plus a memorable cameo by Sylvester Stallone!

My Thoughts:
The third film in the enjoyable Taxi series sees Emilen and Daniel once again joined up by chance in an effort to stop a gang who dress as Santas - the adequately named Santa Claus Gang. Starting off with a great cameo from Sylvester Stallone, this movie continues the car chase buddy comedy formula of the previous movies although the chase sequences are not as long or as ingenious. The cast have pretty much all returned and to add a little to the story both Petra (Emma Sjoberg) and Lilly (Marion Cotillard) are up the duff. The main villain this time is played by Bai Ling who suited her role very well and her French did seem to be fluent (at least to me, a non-French speaker). If you enjoyed the first two, you'll enjoy this - but expect less car chases. Rent it. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #866 on: January 11, 2013, 06:50:21 PM »
I would like to ask Jimmy though - is Sylvester Stallone's French any good?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 11, 2013, 08:09:14 PM »
Way too good... It's the guy who usually dub him who do the voice.

I can't believe that you made me listen four minutes of french accent... I can't stand that accent :puke:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:17:32 PM by Jimmy »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #868 on: January 11, 2013, 11:35:50 PM »
Likelyis dubbed right enough.  :tease:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #869 on: January 11, 2013, 11:44:42 PM »

Taxi 4 (2007)

Overview:
As the tale opens, a manically insane, hyperactive Belgian criminal, "Le Belge," undergoes extradition to trial in Africa. En route, he temporarily lands in the Marseilles police department for a few hours where Emilien (Frédéric Diefenthal) works, and bamboozles him into believing that he's actually a Belgian embassy employee railroaded by the real crook, who is now at large. Emilien foolishly buys the story and sets Le Belge free, prompting an outrageous and explosive series of complications. But luckily enough for Emilien, his friend taxi-driver Daniel (Samy Naceri) who drove the criminal from the Police Station unaware of him being a criminal, comes to the rescue. When Emilien tells police commissioner Gilbert (Bernard Farcy) where he can retrieve the criminal he gets his old job back and the hunt for the criminal is on! This high-adrenaline, action-charged crime comedy was a box-office hit on the other side of the channel. It stars all of the original cast and a cameo from footballer Djibril Cissé.

My Thoughts:
Currently the last movie in the franchise, Taxi 4 has a few changes. Although their child plays a role, Daniel's wife Lilly (Marion Cotillard) is the only main character not to return likely thanks to her growing success in Hollywood in the years since Taxi 3 and the car chases, a main element, now take a back seat. Still, the crime story that Daniel and Emilien team up for is again quite good and the modifications on the newer model Taxi inventive. My two main plus points for this sequel though were the cameo from football player Cissé and the fact Gibert gets a much bigger role. Gibert's homage to Scarface towards the end also made me laugh and was done quite well. Rent it. 3/5