Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224634 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #810 on: December 16, 2012, 01:51:15 AM »

The Watch (2012)

Overview:
There's trouble brewing in peaceful Glenview, Ohio. That's why four civic-minded citizens, armed with flashlights, walkie-talkies and spiffy new jackets, have teamed up to safeguard their community. But the guys find more than they bargained for when they uncover an alien plot to destroy Earth, and now these bumbling heroes are Glenview's only chance to save the neighborhood - and the world - from annihilation!

My Thoughts:
I first became interested in this movie when the trailer was initially released under the title "Neighbourhood Watch", but then a few things were changed to avoid the studio being 'insensitive' about a big case of a shooting in America where a lad called Trayvon Martin was killed. Still, the trailer was funny and the cast had some names that instantly drew me like Vince Vaughn, Jonah Hill and Richard Ayoade as well as some I am indifferent to like Ben Stiller. Although the film did have several very funny moments, it felt like there were too many missed opportunities and the ending just sort of came and went without much of an impact. There's enough fun here to recommend a strong rental, but my hopes were perhaps a little high as all the best bits were in the first half giving what was ultimately an uneven feel. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #811 on: December 16, 2012, 10:36:10 AM »

Mrs Doubtfire (1993)

Overview:
Robin Williams stars as difficult actor and husband, Daniel Hillard, who separates acrimoniously from his wife (Sally Field) and receives a court order limiting his visits to his children. As a result he dresses up as a Scottish nanny and gets gainful employment with his ex-wife looking after his own kids! Directed by Chris Columbus ('Home Alone').

My Thoughts:
I've always enjoyed this movie since I first watched it aged ten. Robin Williams does a great job at covering two separate 'characters' and he shows off his comedic ability really well. The story, though at times over-sentimental, is an enjoyable one and tackles the problems of the divorce from all sides with a reasonable amount of care. I'm not sure I enjoyed Pierce Brosnan's character here, but overall the support cast is fine. Mrs. Doubtfire maybe doesn't hold up quite so well today as it did on release almost twenty years, but I would certainly recommend it, especially to those who saw it many years ago and not again since. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #812 on: December 16, 2012, 12:59:44 PM »

The Dictator (2012)

Overview:
The creators and star of Borat bring you the jaw-dropping comedy about what happens when the world's worst dictator comes to America. Stuck in New York and stripped of his power, Aladeen (Sacha Baron Cohen) is finally forced to live his ultimate nightmare...the American dream.
Get ready to laugh with the extended cut, featuring never-before-seen footage that's outrageous and shamefully funny.

My Thoughts:
I've been a fan of Sacha Baron Cohen since Ali G was an unknown character on The 11'o Clock Show back in my schooldays. Eventually though, Ali G became such a well known character that it lost the awkward fun with people who didn't realise. Still, that didn't stop us getting a reasonably funny Ali G movie and Cohen followed it up with the excellent Borat. Unfortunately, he then had a bit of a misfire with Bruno but I'm happy to say that with General Aladeen in The Dictator, he's back. There are some absolutely hilarious moments in this movie, usually involving the rapore between Cohen and Anna Faris but Ben Kingsley also adds a lot of fun. Some of the jokes are overdone and the pacing feels a little off at times but there is alot to enjoy here. Although not quite up to Borat standards, I recommend The Dictator. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #813 on: December 16, 2012, 11:55:22 PM »

For a Good Time, Call... (2012)

Overview:
Ari Graynor (Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist), Lauren Anne Miller (50/50), Justin Long (Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story) and Nia Vardalos (My Big Fat Greek Wedding) star in this hilarious and sexy comedy. Overachiever Lauren (Miller) is suddenly on her own after her boyfriend breaks up with her. Free-spirited Katie (Graynor) is about to lose a dream apartment unless she can find a roommate. They reluctantly agree to room together even though they have nothing in common, until Lauren discovers that Katie is working as a phone-sex operator and decides to get in on a good business opportunity. But as their partnership starts bringing in the money, their newfound friendship finds unexpected challenges that may leave them both hanging on the line. Critics agree For a Good Time, Call. "slaps a smile on your face and makes it stick!" (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone)

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The cameos of the male callers are beyond hilarious, especially Seth Rogen and Kevin Smith.
- Lauren Miller (Seth Rogen's wife) and Ari Graynor work really well together and are both well suited to their roles.
Cons:
- As much fun as it is, the story is about as formulaic as they come.
- The jokes are generally quite similar throughout although they are well timed and suited the feel of the movie.
Overall:
A fun way to waste a bit of time, but not something you want to watch with your parents! Rent it. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #814 on: December 17, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »

(500) Days of Summer (2009)

Overview:
Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel star in this offbeat romantic comedy, the feature debut of music video director Marc Webb, which chronicles 500 days in the on/off relationship of Summer (Deschanel) and Tom (Gordon-Levitt). While Summer steadfastly refuses to believe in true love, asserting that real life will always get in the way in the end, Tom has thrown caution to the wind and fallen hook, line and sinker in love with her. Where can their so-called relationship lead?

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Marc Webb's experience as a music director shines through with a cracking soundtrack that is well selected for each scene.
- Zooey Deschanel Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Chloe Moretz are all very very good casting decisions.
- There's enough here for lads and lasses alike and it makes for a great date movie.
- The story is interesting and the way it bounces to dfferent days of the relationship is done in a good unconfusing manner.
Cons:
- It sometimes came across a little pretentious.
Overall:
Highly recommended. 4.5/5

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 19, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »
Yep .. (500) Days of Summer is an excellent film.  There were a couple of 'slow' spots but overall it is great.
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #816 on: December 19, 2012, 10:33:01 PM »

Scott Pilgrim vs the World (2010)

Overview:
Meet charming and jobless Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera). A bass guitarist for totally average garage band Sex Bob-omb, the 22-year-old has just met the girl of his dreams...literally. The only catch to winning Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead)? Her seven evil exes are coming to kill him. Genre-smashing filmmaker Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) tells the amazing story of one romantic slacker’s quest to power up with love in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.
Scott Pilgrim has never had a problem getting a girlfriend. It’s getting rid of them that proves difficult. From the girl who kicked his heart’s ass—and now is back in town—to the teenage distraction he’s trying to shake when Ramona rollerblades into his world, love hasn’t been easy. He soon discovers, however, his new crush has the most unusual baggage of all: a nefarious league of exes controls her love life and will do whatever it takes to eliminate him as a suitor.
As Scott gets closer to Ramona, he must face an increasingly vicious rogues’ gallery from her past—from infamous skateboarders to vegan rock stars and fearsomely identical twins. And if he hopes to win his true love, he must vanquish them all before it really is game over.

My Thoughts:
Scott Pilgrim is certainly a love it or hate it movie and from my friends that dislike it, they all have one thing in common - they didn't really get the videogame style of it. Personally I really enjoyed the frenetic visual style and wonder how this would have looked if it had been released in 3D. Michael Cera is also another dividing element and one of those actors people either love or hate but when surrounded by other great young cast members like Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Alison Pill and the absolutely fantastic scene-stealing Kieran Culkin then he is great to watch. Personally I  dug it, but I can certainly see why those who do dislike it, do so with utter contempt. Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #817 on: December 20, 2012, 01:27:59 AM »

Cyrus (2010)

Overview:
Seven years after splitting up with his wife Jamie (Catherine Keener), dejected Los Angeles divorcee John (John C. Reilly) is still single and has all but given up on the idea of meeting somone new. But then out of the blue he meets the beautiful, spirited and single Molly (Marisa Tomei). Unfortunately, it isn't until after he has fallen head over heels in love with her that he discovers there is a major catch: her seriously peculiar and very dependent 20-something son Cyrus (Jonah Hill) - who, it becomes startlingly apparent, is far from ready to share his beloved mother with another man.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- I'm a fan of comedy that uses characters emotions to make you feel uncomfortable and this does just that.
- The cast. John C. Reilly, Marisa Tomei, Jonah Hill, Matt Walsh and Catherine Keener are all excellent.
- I really liked the shifts in the movies tone, especially at the beginning with John C Reilly singing.
Cons:
- Sometimes the movie feels a little restrained, almost lazy.
- Loses its way a little in the final act.
Overall:
Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #818 on: December 20, 2012, 08:08:53 PM »

O (2001)

Overview:
Updated retelling of William Shakespeare's tragedy 'Othello', which drops the story into the modern-day setting of an elite private school in the American South. Mekhi Phifer stars as Odin James, the only black kid in the school, and also a champion basketball player, who is dating the popular and beautiful Desi (Julia Stiles). But his best friend Hugo (Josh Hartnett) resents his popularity, and in particular Odin's relationship with Hugo's father, basketball coach Duke (Martin Sheen). To make Odin jealous and sabotage his popular status, Hugo embarks upon a carefully planned scheme of revenge, laying a series of signs to make it look as though Desi is cheating on Odin with teammate Michael (Andrew Keenan). Consumed by jealousy, Odin starts to lose his grip on everything that he holds dear...

My Thoughts:
In 1999, Julia Stiles was one of the stars of the modern day retelling of The Taming of the Shrew, 10 Things I Hate About You. Two years later she was cast in another modern day retelling of classic Shakespeare, this time O based on Othello. Cast alongside Josh Hartnett, Rain Phoenix, Martin Sheen and Mekhi  Phifer, Julia Stiles is probably the best of an otherwise average cast. The story is fun, but some parts are overlong and overdramatic whilst others are not long enough. It's entertaining and generally engaging, and although the ending is the strongest part, the shooting effects are poor which does take away from the overall effect. Worth a solid rental. 3/5
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 08:11:20 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #819 on: December 22, 2012, 01:15:47 PM »

The Hunger Games (2012)

Overview:
Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. Sixteen year old Katniss Everdeen volunteers in her younger sister’s place and must rely upon her sharp instincts when she’s pitted against highly trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives. If she’s ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The casting is pretty good with Jennifer Lawrence, Woody Harrelson and Stanley Tucci standing out.
- Although some of the visual effects seemed amateurish, the overall effects were of a good standard.
- The adaptation was overall very good when one bears in mind the book is told in first person.
Cons:
- Sometimes it didn't feel as intense as it should've done.
- We needed better character development though this could be a good starting point in the grand scheme of things.
Overall:
Recommended. 3.5/5

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 23, 2012, 02:53:43 AM »
Yeah I agree.  Overall it is a good film.  hopefully just the beginning of a great series.

Just what we need after the end of Twilight .. more teenage angst.  I can't get my fill so i just finished watching Roswell Season 1 .. oh my  ;D
Thank you
David

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #821 on: December 23, 2012, 06:34:46 AM »
There was a bit more development in the book.  And this was better than Twilight.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 23, 2012, 07:18:13 AM »
And this was better than Twilight.
Even the Friedberg and Seltzer version of Twillight is better than Twillight :laugh:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #823 on: December 23, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »
And this was better than Twilight.
Even the Friedberg and Seltzer version of Twillight is better than Twillight :laugh:

Vampires Suck was embarrassing, even by Friedberg and Seltzer standards.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #824 on: December 23, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »
The Hunger Games (for me) had the problem that many of those Big Budget productions have nowadays (at least for the last 10 years):
They don't really care about the the story anymore, but merely use it as the opportunity for a long row of stunning Visual- and/or Special-Effects.